Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031323338 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    No offense guys but I don't understand the appeal of cradles. Personally, my phone is within arms reach 16 hours a day (in my pocket or just on a desk, etc.), and for the other 8 it's just plugged into the wall while I sleep. I manually synch it only once every couple of weeks, although perhaps with the T650 that might change due to bt connectivity. Cradles are fine for those who keep a nice orderly desk and such, but for me they seem just unnecessary

Well, as of this minute, my order is exactly 1 week old
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Personally, I'd like to have cradles for all of my devices. If for the simple fact that it sort of "reserves" their place on my night-stand or desk. Makes sure there's always a place for them among my clutter.

Without a charger, I just get this big knot of cables. Often, cables "lock" or click into the gadget, which can be a pain when you're fumbling in the morning or late at night.

With the charger, you drop the device in. And pick it up when done. Simple.

If I could convince my wife, I'd have a long shelf mounted on the wall that was like three or four inches deep as a "charging station" for my junk. heh
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtalian
    Sena says they shipped my black MagnetFlipper case on Sat.
    I think Brando shipped my lenses (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=71584) & Brando WorkShop UltraClear screen protectors yesterday.
    I thought the Boxwave screen protectors were the best? Have you used flip cases before? It just would seem like a huge clam shell phone with a big flap under my chin everytime I talked on it. Doesn't that change the dynamics of the small form factor too much?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    eBay. I just got one. $6.50 + $5(http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif) shipping . One cable, does both. Works fine. Just seach for Treo 650 USB. They are all over the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    btw, does anyone know of a place to get less expensive syncing/charging cables while I wait for a cradle?

thanx.
    Depends on where you keep it PLUS it's sooo much easier to just drop it in a cradle rather then having to plug in the cable (actually TWO cables in the 650 if you want to sync). PLUS the 650 is pretty slippery and (depending on where you leave it to charge) it can slp off the desk/counter or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    No offense guys but I don't understand the appeal of cradles.
    No offense guys but I don't understand the appeal of cradles. Personally, my phone is within arms reach 16 hours a day (in my pocket or just on a desk, etc.), and for the other 8 it's just plugged into the wall while I sleep. I manually synch it only once every couple of weeks, although perhaps with the T650 that might change due to bt connectivity. Cradles are fine for those who keep a nice orderly desk and such, but for me they seem just unnecessary

none taken.

I used to buy 2 cradles (one if the pda came with one (remember those days)). Now I need one for work. I just like the way it stands.

I need an additianal cable for home. I sync all the time. Hey, if it is plugged in, why not sync it.

I also sync on 3 PCs. Main PC at home, Laptop at home, and at work.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I have a laptop which I'm constantly transferring from our office into the living room (damn TV!), so the cradle would not really help me as far as synch. I can imagine it's somewhat convenient to plop it in, but really, I've had cradles before and it's not THAT much more convenient than just plugging a cord in. I mean, how much time do you save? 5 seconds?

Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    I have a laptop which I'm constantly transferring from our office into the living room (damn TV!), so the cradle would not really help me as far as synch. I can imagine it's somewhat convenient to plop it in, but really, I've had cradles before and it's not THAT much more convenient than just plugging a cord in. I mean, how much time do you save? 5 seconds?
    Every 5 seconds I save using a cradle makes up for the 5 seconds of my life I lose checking (and rechecking) the status of my order. That cradle's gonna get a lot of use.
    It's definately not time, it's convenience. Plus the more you manually plug in & remove that connector the more chance you have on damaging the Treo. The cradle aligns right each time (I hope).
    I agree. I use a USB cord with a synch button about a foot long. It charges the battery and permits sync.

However, one other reason for using a cradle is that it enables one to use the applications on the device. I meet this requirement by using PDAReach. Ver 1.5 provides a double size view of the Treo on my computer desktop.

Of course, this strategy will not work for the 650 because no such cord is available. Just one more problem that arises from P1's (arbitrary?) decision to change the connector on the 650.
    I'm also hoping that the PalmOnce cradle also has a place to keep an extra battery charged. From the description it seems like it will have this. Customer service here in the Treocentral.com store mentioned that they estimate having them available on the 18th.

I'm with you, mon... Syncing in a cradle also requires you to take the phone out of its case. Cable poses no such problems or you can just sync wirelessly if you want a clean desk.
    That is true but it obviously depends on the type of case you use. If you use a pouch or holster type it isn't an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by work2fish
    Syncing in a cradle also requires you to take the phone out of its case. Cable poses no such problems or you can just sync wirelessly if you want a clean desk.
    The main reason most people will get it is to charge the extra battery, simultaneously with the phone. And as previously said, it helps reduce the wire clutter some of us might have.
    Treo 650 Unlocked GSM FW1.23
    Quote Originally Posted by mspalacios
    I'm also hoping that the PalmOnce cradle also has a place to keep an extra battery charged. From the description it seems like it will have this. Customer service here in the Treocentral.com store mentioned that they estimate having them available on the 18th.
    Given the reported battery life of the Sprint 650, sounds like an essential. Many of us will not be able to get through the day on one battery. When I know that I must conserve battery power, the utility of the device drops dramatically. I skip making calls or queries that I would otherwise make.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Given the reported battery life of the Sprint 650, sounds like an essential. Many of us will not be able to get through the day on one battery. When I know that I must conserve battery power, the utility of the device drops dramatically. I skip making calls or queries that I would otherwise make.
    Hey, I can't get through the day as it is with the T600. Do you know how quickly Chatter with true push sucks all the power out of my phone? That's why one of the accessories I'm getting is an extra charger for work and one for the car. I figure except when I'm traveling (not very often these days), I will have AC accessible to me most of the day, so I'd rather spend $30 or so on a couple extra chargers than $50 on a battery. Hopefully that price will come down eventually as some generics come onto the market? I just know for digital cameras I've been able to save 80% of the cost of what I would have had to pay if I bought the brand-name battery without any loss in reliability...

Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    I thought the Boxwave screen protectors were the best? Have you used flip cases before? It just would seem like a huge clam shell phone with a big flap under my chin everytime I talked on it. Doesn't that change the dynamics of the small form factor too much?
    The screen protector issue seems to be pretty subjective. Some people like a certain kind, whereas others stick w/ something else. People w/ the Brandos seemed to really like them, & they're a lot cheaper than the Boxwaves. I figured I'd try them out.
    As for the case, I've been using a Tro 180 for a while, so the flip isn't likely to bother me. Actually, I got the case yesterday, & I should be able to flip the flap underneath & to the back w/ ease if that becomes a concern. It just seemed like the best layout for me. I expect to carry it in my pocket, so I wanted to have the screen & buttons covered. Thanks to the magnetic closure, I should be able to flip it open w/ my thumb (works easily enough w/out the 650 in it ) We shall see. At least I got my order in just in time to get the 20% off pre-order price.
    ooooh, look at the shiny Copper Treo 680
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Hee hee. I just got home and my TreoCentral Store package with an extra charger and A T650 Skin was sitting on my doorstep. I ordered this on Monday. The P1 Accessories that were shipped apparently were sent out last Thursday and yet they still aren't here. Guess once the T650 finally does ship, it will take a week or more to get to me!

I did think it was very cute that the Skin comes with a foam insert and a little printout of a T600 (hey, why not a T650?)! Pretty funny. Somehow I think even if it was a T650 printout it wouldn't quite satisfy me to carry it around instead of the real thing
    Attached Images Attached Images

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Well guys, I just called P1. I wanted to check on my accessories which I still don't have, but they couldn't really tell me anything about them other than they shipped. I also wanted to ask them about changing my phone order to overnight, but they said that I would have to cancel my phone order and reorder it - they can't just change the shipping, boo! She did say that because I had ordered it so early (2/2 AM) that I would be one of the first to get mine sent. So I then asked what the current shipping estimate is and she said "we're giving it about a week and a half to two weeks." I asked her for clarification: "is that a week and a half FROM now." Yes, she said. Perfect English, no accent, so there was no language barrier. So it looks like this Saturday may not happen indeed, but rather a week from Saturday! Let's just hope that this is a very conservative estimate and the phones will ship a lot sooner... Bleh!

20. gdb
    I just called in and spoke to Twan(sp?), who was very polite. He stated one to two weeks from date of order is still correct. Perhaps she thought you meant if you ordered one now.