Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
    Think of it this way, would you go out and buy a Lexus from Shell, only to be limited to using Shell's gas. And what if you wanted to buy from Chevron, and was told you would have to buy a new Lexus (that is exactly the same as the one you just bought by-the-way) to be able to buy from them. All cell phones should be unlocked because we are paying for it. Or at least unlock it for us when our contracts are over.
    I have read all of these posts and am really amazed at some of the perspectives. The way I see it, we all have some choices;

We could all still be waiting for the announcement that an unlocked 650 will even be available. But then people would complain that P1 is catering to the carriers and leaving everyone else out.

P1 would eventually post the availability and have units to ship, would probably underestimate the demand, and be out of stock in a few days anyways.

Or they can take pre-orders like they are doing, to get an idea of demand, give an estimated delivery time, and allow folks to reserve thier unit.

Personally, I would rather have the opportunity to pre-order, knowing that I will have my unit in 2 weeks, rather than not having the option to order at all.

For those of you that feel slighted and wronged, that want to "Sell P1", hopefully you do not make all of your business decisions based on that type of logic. Bottom line, we have the opportunity to order a device which we are looking forward to using, and we know approximately how long it will take to arrive. So WHAT is the issue ??

As far as P1 and thier business decisions, they are, as any company is, in the business of making money and forming strategic alliances. If a deal is struck with Sprint or Cingular, to deliver thier units to market first, then I am certain there is a sound business decision behind it.

For those that are ticked off because they can't get thier units NOW, get over it !! It's 2 weeks for cryin' out loud. And if it really bothers you, buy a Cingular unit, a Sprint unit, or go get a PPC device. That's what makes this a great country....you have choices.

I personally would have liked to have my 650 the next day. But who cares. Two weeks compared to the rest of your life, is nothing.

Later ......
    Thanks,

np
    Nick,

I agree with you 98%. Save for one point. Was the ability to place an order for the 650 billed as a pre-order? I don't remember that. Were it not for this forum and the reports of people who placed their orders before me, I wouldn't have known there was a 1-2 week lead time until after my order was placed. At least when I placed my order, I don't recall there being a "When will my order arrive?" link like there is now.

I'm not stressing or getting mad at P1. I think the price increase was unfortunate and a bit of a let-down for those who didn't get their order in early. But mine is on order and will be delivered when it is available.
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsTheFly
    Nick,

I agree with you 98%. Save for one point. Was the ability to place an order for the 650 billed as a pre-order? I don't remember that. Were it not for this forum and the reports of people who placed their orders before me, I wouldn't have known there was a 1-2 week lead time until after my order was placed. At least when I placed my order, I don't recall there being a "When will my order arrive?" link like there is now.

I'm not stressing or getting mad at P1. I think the price increase was unfortunate and a bit of a let-down for those who didn't get their order in early. But mine is on order and will be delivered when it is available.
    Thanks Fly.... I distinctly remember a disclaimer when I ordered my unit on Feb 2, stating that "Due to high demand, there may be a delay in shipping" or something to that effect, and then having a link provided to Customer Service where they indicated the 1-2 week window. Full disclosure in my opinion, allowing us to decide for ourselves. I would agree that the price increase was unfortunate, but it would appear they are trying to be fair about it.

As I indicated before, the whinning just gets old after a while.

np
    Thanks,

np
    Quote Originally Posted by nickp
    As I indicated before, the whinning just gets old after a while.

np
    Agreed. But the Superbowl just ended. So we can expect a whole new round of whining to start on here. Then we can get back to our regularly-scheduled moaning over the 650 on Monday morning.
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsTheFly
    Agreed. But the Superbowl just ended. So we can expect a whole new round of whining to start on here. Then we can get back to our regularly-scheduled moaning over the 650 on Monday morning.
    The only people who should be whining today are Eagles fans Well, then again, I'm going to check my order status after lunch, so I may be back to whine a bit.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Just out of curiosity, you know how on their site they say it's a 1-2 week wait if you ordered after Feb 2nd? What if you ordered on the 1st or the 2nd????

Mike
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Mike, the confirmation message I got from them when I ordered on the 2nd (at 7:30AM) reads:

Your Treo 650 smartphone order is being processed. We are currently expecting to ship within the next 1 - 2 weeks.
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    Mike, the confirmation message I got from them when I ordered on the 2nd (at 7:30AM) reads:

Your Treo 650 smartphone order is being processed. We are currently expecting to ship within the next 1 - 2 weeks.
    From P1, that means no less than 14 days and as much as a month. The truth is not in them.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Nick, thanks for adding some perspective and sanity. The one thing I'm not sure about is whether the message about the 1-2 week delay was before the purchase or only after the purchase was complete. I don't remember seeing it before, but I'm not that concerned. I've been waiting three months, I can wait a couple more weeks. My T600 is serving me quite well in the interim

I think there's a lot of anger at P1 that's been building up due to a number of issues, and so they've become an easy target for anything that isn't giving the customer exactly what they want. Part of it also, psychologically, is not knowing EXACTLY when you will get your order. Many people have problems with uncertainty, they can't just say to themselves "it'll get here when it gets here." Some people have gotten so mad that they've written off P1 entirely, and they keep posting about it here, which boggles my mind. If you write them off, fine, but why keep posting about it? Move on. Are you just trying to convince other people to leave for another platform, and if so, why is it so important to you that your individual choices be adopted by others?

It's funny, I used to belong to the T-Mobile Sidekick community and as much whining as there is here, this is NOTHING compared to what went on. Of course, there were lots of issues and many of them just went unresolved for months or years, but people couldn't stop complaining. Eventually, and very fortunately I was able to buy a friend's Treo 600 for a very cheap price and so was able to move on. A new model came out a few months later which resolved some of the issues, but I'm sure many are still complaining about what it doesn't have. I guess it's human nature to see what you don't have more than what you do. Just gotta keep reminding yourself to appreciate what you do have as much as what you don't!

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    From P1, that means no less than 14 days and as much as a month. The truth is not in them.
    Murry, I can only assume that you have it out for P1. Jeez, man, give them the benefit of the doubt! I know it's hard based on the flubs they've been making recently, but really, what's the use of calling them lyers about this projection before it can be proven true? Even if they miss this window, does this make them untruthful, or simply bad at estimating? Perhaps other logistical or tactical issues come up in the interim? But what you are saying is that from the get go they are intentionally misleading customers. Call me naive, but I don't believe this is true. They may have made some poor decisions but I'm not going to call them liers, and unless you know something specific, then what you're writing seems more like slander than a reasoned complaint. If you have so little faith in them, than why are you even wasting your time and energy writing in this forum? I would think it would be better spent doing something a little more productive?

Quote Originally Posted by alee
    Now granted jacking up the price $100 after 2 days is pretty suspect; however, PalmOne is honoring the lower price for those that got their orders in early, and it appears they will honor the lower price if you call them up.
    Just to add to this discussion - on the one hand and in the words of my wife "they are pretty incompetant" for cancelling my 650 for the second time. There's obviously a problem with their website order-form because both times they say I supplied an invalid number. Unlikely the first time (I always triple check,) impossible the second time based on my experience the first time. Now maybe they don't take dashes or require dashes or some such nonense but it's was still a pain that this morning my order was cancelled AGAIN! (And I verified with AMEX who says P1 didn't even contact them, they have alternate shipping address on file, and there is no reason on AMEX's end why they wouldn't process the order.)

On the other hand P1 CSR's were extremely nice about getting it sorted out. They suggested I place the new order over the phone to avoid any more hickups, and without any fuss they happily extended me the $599 price because that was the price on my previous orders. I'm going to have to baby-sit this order now so I'll see what happens. It sucks that I'm once again bumped to the end of the line - wow it's now almost a week exactly since my first order at 6:30am on February 1st - but I'm trying to remain patient.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    So this is the BEST one, guys. I just got an email telling me that my order placed on Feb 2 1am PST (050202-211xxx) was cancelled!!! I called up P1, and the CSR wasn't able to tell me why . That's right, he wasn't able to explain to me why the order was booted out of the system after 5 long days. This, after I had called over the weekend to SPECIFICALLY verify that there was nothing wrong with the order.

I gave up... placed another order on the phone, this time 050207-869xxx. That's right, I dropped almost 60,000 places in the line!! The CSR says it will still go out in 1-2 weeks, but at this point I don't believe ANYTHING P1 represents. I'm freaking pissed...

No explanation, no consolation!
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SFguy_in_europe
    So this is the BEST one, guys. I just got an email telling me that my order placed on Feb 2 1am PST (050202-211xxx) was cancelled!!! I called up P1, and the CSR wasn't able to tell me why . That's right, he wasn't able to explain to me why the order was booted out of the system after 5 long days. This, after I had called over the weekend to SPECIFICALLY verify that there was nothing wrong with the order.

I gave up... placed another order on the phone, this time 050207-869xxx. That's right, I dropped almost 60,000 places in the line!! The CSR says it will still go out in 1-2 weeks, but at this point I don't believe ANYTHING P1 represents. I'm freaking pissed...

they probably want to get rid of the people who bought it for $599. tht is such bs
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Wow, SFguy, that really sucks. Palm1 seems so ill-prepared for the demand of the 650. It needs to rattle some cages over there.

I'm one of the "Order Received" people. Has anyone heard of any shipment updates? I'm getting a little annoyed at myself for checking the P1 Web site every half hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by SFguy_in_europe

Did you place your first order over the phone or through their website? I had 2 orders cancelled so I'm twice as pissed as you. (Well I've already moved passed anger into depression actually.) Anyway both of my cancelled orders were placed through website. I think there may be a glitch so I placed today's order over the phone. (Of course now I can see that the shipping address but I'm working getting that fixed.)

Anyway if your first order that was cancelled was placed through website I strongly recommend that new order be placed over phone. Since you've already placed the new order if that was placed over web again I suggest calling them, specifically to verify credit card info. (The bug with my orders was an invalid credit card number both times. No way I input the wrong number twice - and why doesn't their webform validate it?) I also recommend you phone your credit card company to confirm if P1 tried to process order and make sure there is nothing on their end that cause them to reject.

Finally, I read somewhere that P1 US wasn't shipping to Europe right now. (I think someone else had an order cancelled for that reason.) Anyway just trying to help. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada
    I'm one of the "Order Received" people. Has anyone heard of any shipment updates? I'm getting a little annoyed at myself for checking the P1 Web site every half hour.
    geez... talk about obsessive.

i'm only checking every hour or so!
    If animals are deprived of hope ... they are compensated by being given an almost endless patience for enduring, or simply for waiting. - Joseph Wood Krutch
    Beloved old unbranded GSM 650 shorting out and retired.
    Now happily driving the Black Euro GSM Centro. Yum.
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaver99
    they probably want to get rid of the people who bought it for $599. tht is such bs
    Extremely unlikely. Too many orders placed in 2 days to do that without customer service nightmare - plus a P1 executive is on record as saying they would honour all those orders so they would be open to lawsuit at this point if they didn't - plus more than a few people, myself included, who have had orders cancelled for whatever reason have been able to re-order at the $599 price of our original order.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aethyric
    geez... talk about obsessive.

i'm only checking every hour or so!
    It was worse when I waited for my 600 to be shipped!!!!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Now my status is "Back Ordered."