Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    I see from your signature that you're planning on using T-Mobile as your carrier. I have them atm and wanted to know what plan you have for data. Do you have the info to set up on their network for email, etc. ? Thanks for any help
    Username: voicestream
    Password: (blank)

APN:
    WAP users: wap.voicestream.com
    Unlimited Internet (9.99/mo iirc): internet2.voicestream.com
    VPN subscribers (19.99/mo): internet3.voicestream.com
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    Username: voicestream
    Password: (blank)

APN:
    WAP users: wap.voicestream.com
    Unlimited Internet (9.99/mo iirc): internet2.voicestream.com
    VPN subscribers (19.99/mo): internet3.voicestream.com
    Thank you, Mr. Alee Do you know the difference between Unlimited Internet and VPN? What do you get for the additional $10?
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Thank you, Mr. Alee Do you know the difference between Unlimited Internet and VPN? What do you get for the additional $10?
    Unlimited VPN gives you an "real" IP address. It's necessary if you need to VPN to a corporate firewall. Otherwise there isn't much to write home about. The APN is possibly less busy so you might see a slight boost in throughput, but I would say it wouldn't be worth the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    Koolio, think about it this way - the Sprint T650 came out over two months ago! So you've already been waiting for over two months while some Sprint customers had theirs this whole time. This isn't a competition. We are getting something BETTER than the Cingular customers, because we will have ours fully unlocked from the start and DUN will not be disabled, so that's our consolation. Our payment for this extra capability is just having to wait an extra week or so, give or take. If you think about it, that's not a big deal in the scheme of things!
    Thanks, dvdmon...that does make me feel better. I'm just glad I didn't start wanting a T650 when the Sprint version came out - man, I would've been really pissed! When it comes to new gadgets being released, I try to not get mentally committed to it until shortly before it's release date so I don't go too crazy waiting. The thought of just buying the Cingular T650 did cross my mind today but then I realized that waiting another week really isn't a long wait.

Here's to all of us getting our unlocked Treo 650s by the end of this upcoming week! (where's that beer glass icon?)
    Actually the T-Mobile pricing is as follows:

t-zones $4.99 (APN=wap.voicestream.com)
    t-zones Pro WAP+Corporate E-Mail $9.99 (APN=wap.voicestream.com)
    T-Mobile Internet $19.99 (APN=internet2.voicestream.com)
    T-Mobile Internet w Corporate My E-mail (VPN) $29.98 (APN=internet3.voicestream.com)

All these plans are all-you-can eat.

If all you want is email and basic web browsing from your treo, you can get away with the t-zones by using the proxy settings in blazer.
    Quote Originally Posted by mspalacios
    Actually the T-Mobile pricing is as follows:

t-zones $4.99 (APN=wap.voicestream.com)
    t-zones Pro WAP+Corporate E-Mail $9.99 (APN=wap.voicestream.com)
    What's the difference between those two?
    t-zones PRO+Corporate E-mail allows you to go to t-mobile's website and setup a connection to your Exchange or Notes (must be accessible via the public internet) so it can pull down the email and send it to your device. t-zones (not PRO) only allows POP3 and IMAP servers.

The company that I work for does not allow public access from outside their network or must use a VPN, so this does not work for me.

Both t-zones options allow you to browse WAP content in your device. It allows email ports (110, 25, 143) to be used. If the applications on your device allow you specify a proxy, you can get around the fact that there is no port 80 (http) access.
    Quote Originally Posted by mspalacios
    Both t-zones options allow you to browse WAP content in your device. It allows email ports (110, 25, 143) to be used. If the applications on your device allow you specify a proxy, you can get around the fact that there is no port 80 (http) access.
    First, thank you for the valuable information. Second, what types of non-business applications would I need port 80 to be open for? Third, is WAP content general Internet surfing?
    On my current setup (Tungsten T bluetoothed into T39m) I can read/send email and since my browser (Palm WebPro) allows me, I allow the proxy and can do basic web browsing. Before the t-mobile port lockdown back in the Fall, I used to use worldmate to get weather and sync up my clock (they use port 80 for updates and 119 for time updates). Same with a ssh palm app (port 22). Now I can't use these apps, as neither have the facility to use a proxy server.
    Think of WAP as a parallel internet with basic websites that is optimized for small screens and low bandwidth.
    I see from your signature that you're planning on using T-Mobile as your carrier. I have them atm and wanted to know what plan you have for data. Do you have the info to set up on their network for email, etc. ? Thanks for any help
    I see you've already gotten most of the info you were looking for. I've got the $20 T-Mobile Internet Unlimited plan. I use mine for e-mail, Web, AIM (VeriChat), ntp (syncing w/ a time server), & ssh. Maybe someone else can answer your WAP question better than me, but I access normal html sites w/ Blazer & EudoraWeb. Some websites have simpler pages specifically for handheld devices, like http://slashdot.org/palm. WAP sites use a different format & can be accessed from normal cell phones. Also, it is possible to run a Web server on a Palm (never done it myself, though), which I believe you'd need the higher plan for.
    ooooh, look at the shiny Copper Treo 680
    Feb 4, 05, 10:15pm, 050204-256XXX Order received (Unlocked GSM)
    Last edited by sonson; 02/06/2005 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Added Unlocked
    sonson, yours is a sin-gular 650, right?
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TexAg
    sonson, yours is a sin-gular 650, right?
    Tex, he said right in his message "unlocked GSM." "Order Received" does not mean that it was shipped! It just means that they've gotten the order and have successfully put a hold on the credit card. Most people ordering the unlocked T650 have theirs go to that status initially, and eventually it changes to "backordered."
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Tex, he said right in his message "unlocked GSM." "Order Received" does not mean that it was shipped! It just means that they've gotten the order and have successfully put a hold on the credit card. Most people ordering the unlocked T650 have theirs go to that status initially, and eventually it changes to "backordered."
    when Tex replied, the word unlocked wasn't there
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    I ordered my unlocked version on 2/2 @ 9:32am and am wondering why it hasn't changed to Backordered...when I called p1 CS, I gave her my order number and she told me the status was Backordered...I hope she's right and the website is just not synched with their order mgt system.
    bleh....
    the wait continues....
    i hate waitin for my new toy, i want it now....waaaaaaaaa
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    here is one to drive you nuts....
    note i have cleared my cache on both now....
    my home pc shows order received for each line item
    in blazer my treo shows order received but backordered for the phones

cache has been deleted no idea where the presumably cached page is coming from..
    Quick update, the $615 hold on my debit account is gone. I can only assume that they put a shorter hold on it thinking that they would complete the order and send out the unlocked T650s before it ended. This "might" be an indication that they changed direction on their distribution plan as well as the price. Which would back up the theory that someone convinced them not to ship unlocked phones for a while. What do you guys think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stallion
    Quick update, the $615 hold on my debit account is gone. I can only assume that they put a shorter hold on it thinking that they would complete the order and send out the unlocked T650s before it ended. This "might" be an indication that they changed direction on their distribution plan as well as the price. Which would back up the theory that someone convinced them not to ship unlocked phones for a while. What do you guys think?
    I think that they are sleaze and that they treat their customers like slime. You cannot infer anything useful about their intentions from their past behavior. Do not even bother to try.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I think that they are sleaze and that they treat their customers like slime. You cannot infer anything useful about their intentions from their past behavior. Do not even bother to try.

You might have a point there.