Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    IMPORTANT: Getting started with your new Treo landed in my Inbox today. Guess they actually shipped the phone???

going to the PO @ lunch...now... yay!
    ummm, this thread is still all about an unlocked PalmOne t650 right?
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisL77
    Just called the Palmone Store at Newark Airport, NJ - Terminal A( accessible before security checks)

They have 14 Cingular Treo 650's in stock. ( well, 13 )
    $599 plus tax. (snip)
    Why does the Palmone Store apparently only have Cingular Treo 650's in stock. Oh well, I guess the first GSM batch off the assembly line were all Cingular phones and the unlocked unbranded phones are behind that batch.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    Why does the Palmone Store apparently only have Cingular Treo 650's in stock. Oh well, I guess the first GSM batch off the assembly line were all Cingular phones and the unlocked unbranded phones are behind that batch.
    That's most likely it. When a company makes a product like this, they have set up agreements with different distribution channels (carriers, store chains, etc.) 'So in so' and 'so in so' get the first 2,000 shipped air freight (from the overseas factory) with 8,000 more on the 'slow boat.' Then they fill in other channels all in order of priority.
    Clearly Sprint got first dibs (that's clear with the exclusive 2004 production.) Probabally because Sprint commited to certain distribution and marketing in XXXX number of stores and possibly even other ads and/or committed to a boat load of units. In otherwords the best deal for PalmOne. I'm sure PalmOne wanted to get Cingular's channel filled next because let's face it, that's the where they get the best retail distribution, marketing and support.

PalmOne direct branded is obviously lowest priority and it only makes perfect sense. 95% of consumers on Cingular aren't going to care about unlocked, they just want to get the Cingular Treo from Cingular or wherever it's available. Not to mention, they made commitments to Cingular no doubt.

My guess is that the mfg line made something like X000 Cingular and AT&T models the first 3 weeks of Jan, and they started production on the GSM unlocked 4th week of Jan. Cingular and AT&T's are in the channel now and PalmOne's are on the way. If I'm right about that, the unlocked's are getting boxed and shipped as you read this. Over the next week they'll end up at the distribution warehouse and get sent out.

I'm sure that factory in china (or wherever) is running 4 lines 24/7 for at least the 1st 2 months of production on GSM phones. In fact I'd bet money on it.

It's too bad, I want mine now!
    This is all just based on my experience working with consumer electronics mfgs.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    050202-224xxx Ordered 2/2. Standard 1-2 week message
    Thanks,

np
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    May depend on your credit card. I had a different shipping address from billing address, but thought I was okay because I had previously gone through this when ordering my thinkpad over a year ago. Anyway recieved an email this morning from P1 that they cancelled my order!
    well, mine was suspended too.

not because of shipping to a diff address, but because i used a virtual account number.

i gave them another card number. 20 min later i got the backordered email.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    That's most likely it. When a company makes a product like this, they have set up agreements with different distribution channels (carriers, store chains, etc.) 'So in so' and 'so in so' get the first 2,000 shipped air freight (from the overseas factory) with 8,000 more on the 'slow boat.' Then they fill in other channels all in order of priority.
    Clearly Sprint got first dibs (that's clear with the exclusive 2004 production.) Probabally because Sprint commited to certain distribution and marketing in XXXX number of stores and possibly even other ads and/or committed to a boat load of units. In otherwords the best deal for PalmOne. I'm sure PalmOne wanted to get Cingular's channel filled next because let's face it, that's the where they get the best retail distribution, marketing and support.

PalmOne direct branded is obviously lowest priority and it only makes perfect sense. 95% of consumers on Cingular aren't going to care about unlocked, they just want to get the Cingular Treo from Cingular or wherever it's available. Not to mention, they made commitments to Cingular no doubt.

My guess is that the mfg line made something like X000 Cingular and AT&T models the first 3 weeks of Jan, and they started production on the GSM unlocked 4th week of Jan. Cingular and AT&T's are in the channel now and PalmOne's are on the way. If I'm right about that, the unlocked's are getting boxed and shipped as you read this. Over the next week they'll end up at the distribution warehouse and get sent out.

I'm sure that factory in china (or wherever) is running 4 lines 24/7 for at least the 1st 2 months of production on GSM phones. In fact I'd bet money on it.

While I'm not an expert all this makes perfect sense to me and on the whole I bet this is indeed what's going on. And I really appreciate the comprehensive explanation.

I also think that P1 offered the "order" link for the unlocked/unbranded right now because they wanted to shore up some sales they were afraid of losing due to more delays. (There is evidence, numerous examples actually, that P1 follows discussion boards like Treocentral.) A lot of people on TC have been vocal about being unhappy with delays. Some have switched to Sprint, but just as many have switched to PPC or Blackberry devices. I think if P1 had only offered the locked Cingular 650's for order yesterday a few more of us may have jumped shipped, or at least I think that was P1's fear. Better for them to take an order, tell people up front "you're still gonna have to wait another week or two" than continue to remain silent about when the unlocked phones are available and potentially lose more sales.

Also remember that the lost sales I'm talking about are "early adopter" lost sales. Early adopters are a very important market segment because they are often influencers/decision makers for future sales, either in their roles with the companies they work at, or even just in how they influence family/friends. These are not sales you want to lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    well, mine was suspended too.

not because of shipping to a diff address, but because i used a virtual account number.

i gave them another card number. 20 min later i got the backordered email.
    Really, you were able to "reactivate" your original order. They made me place a new order which is now queued for processing. I'm certain I'll eventually get the backorder email, but not for another day at least. I'm sad because I feel like I've set myself back days, maybe even weeks. What if I miss the intial inventory that's air freighted from the factory and I have to wait for the boat shipped inventory to arrive? I'm trying to be Zen about it, but this sucks. The worste part is that it's really all my fault. I knew better. I should have confirmed what I was doing with AMEX yesterday and then there wouldn't have been a problem. There isn't anyone I can fairly yell at. I'd kick myself in the *** but I'm not that flexible.
    Is it just a mistake or did my order ship already?

We're pleased to inform you that the following item(s) from order
    050202-222XXXXX have been shipped. For items with a status other
    than shipped, you will receive an e-mail notification of the shipment
    when it occurs. Your credit card has now been charged for the item(s)
    that have shipped, plus any applicable sales tax.

VIEW YOUR SHIPMENT STATUS
    The link below will supply you with the most recent shipment status.
    Please allow up to 1 hour for this information to update on our website
    from the time you receive this e-mail.

http://web.palmone.com/support/order_status.jhtml

Shipping Address:

xxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

Your shipment includes the following item(s):

Item: 1773568
    Description: HMK Express Weather CD
    Quantity: 1 @ $ .00

Item: 1754810
    Description: PALM Treo Lifestyle Guide

Item: 1802225
    Description: PALM Treo 650 Cingular-CN5
    Quantity: 1 @ $ 549.00

Order Status page stills shows Order Received. I know it takes time for the status to update, but I am a little skeptical.
    Quote Originally Posted by myjohnson
    Is it just a mistake or did my order ship already?

We're pleased to inform you that the following item(s) from order
    050202-222XXXXX have been shipped. For items with a status other
    than shipped, you will receive an e-mail notification of the shipment
    when it occurs. Your credit card has now been charged for the item(s)
    that have shipped, plus any applicable sales tax.

VIEW YOUR SHIPMENT STATUS
    The link below will supply you with the most recent shipment status.
    Please allow up to 1 hour for this information to update on our website
    from the time you receive this e-mail.

http://web.palmone.com/support/order_status.jhtml

Shipping Address:

xxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

Item: 1754810

Item: 1802225
    Description: PALM Treo 650 Cingular-CN5
    Quantity: 1 @ $ 549.00

Order Status page stills shows Order Received. I know it takes time for the status to update, but I am a little skeptical.

its not an unlocked Treo 650 right
    It appears the Cingular Treo 650s are now shipping (I would assume the Cingular AT&Ts would as well.) It's the unlocked ones that are going to have to sit tight for a week or two.
    No, I ordered a Cingular with current plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh

ach! reason! logic! *swoon*
    If animals are deprived of hope ... they are compensated by being given an almost endless patience for enduring, or simply for waiting. - Joseph Wood Krutch
    Beloved old unbranded GSM 650 shorting out and retired.
    Now happily driving the Black Euro GSM Centro. Yum.
    Well, I've been looking at the dark side (PPC devices) as a possible replacement for my 600. Since I see nothing with the right form factor, price etc., I finally bit the bullet and bought 2 unlocked 650s for me and the Mrs.

I guess I'll activate them and transfer our Sprint numbers with no data plan and then add Media Works on the Cingular web site. Is that the best way to do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by convbcuda
    Well, I've been looking at the dark side (PPC devices) as a possible replacement for my 600. Since I see nothing with the right form factor, price etc., I finally bit the bullet and bought 2 unlocked 650s for me and the Mrs.

I guess I'll activate them and transfer our Sprint numbers with no data plan and then add Media Works on the Cingular web site. Is that the best way to do it?
    hw6500 from the dark side suits your need....well, if you're willing to wait till the 2nd quarter....
    I had looked at the SX66 to replace my 600. Ended up choosing the 650, there just is nothing out there that even comes close to it. Price/functionality (at least for me).
    Oops, almost forgot. Order number 050201-2097XX unlocked 650 ordered 8:46 PM (PST) on 2/01. Backordered.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    I was actualling thinking of buying the iMate PDA2k phone because of of the features and power that it had (WiFi, sliding keyboard, bluetooth, 128MB built in, you name it) but unfortunately the damn thing weighs 210g and costs $900!

I think I'll settle for my Vaio U750 handling the WiFi stuff it it's absolutely necessary...
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
    Hey folks, I just got a order status update (I ordered 2 unlocked Treo 650's)
    Description: PALM MultAdpt Car Charger
    Description: PALM Treo 650 GSM

The interesting thing here is that the Treo 650 went from "Backordered" to "Processing".
    According the the palmone store:
    "Order Processing | Your order is being processed and will be released for shipment within the next 24 hours."
    So if it's true, I just went from backordered to about to be shipped. I'm not getting too excited though (OK, well yes I am) because I really don't think it is what it appears to be. It just can't. Can it? Could I really get it Monday or Tuesday? no no, I can't get my hopes up!

Holy CRAP! My credit card was charged for the FULL ORDER AMOUNT $1279.98 (I ordered 2 of each by the way)
    It's True! The Unlocked Treo 650's are going to be shipped soon!!
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by dubLdribL
    took about 6 hours to get the email confirmation yesterday but here it is. my first treo, so i got suckered in to the accessory pack as well:

Thank you for shopping with palmOne Sales, your business is important
    to us. We received your order 050202-2180XX, which included backordered or advanced sale
    items that are unavailable for immediate shipment. Once the product
    is available for processing, you will receive a new order
    confirmation email. The following item(s) will be shipped when it is
    in stock.

Item: 1744267
    Description: PALM Essentials Kit Treo 650
    Quantity: 1 @ $ 49.99
    Shipping Method: Overnight

Item: 1869804
    Description: PALM Treo 650 GSM
    Quantity: 1 @ $ 599.00
    Thats the same thing I ordered. I just hope that it ships in the next week.