1.    #1  
    dammit i just got my 650 from sprint today and was all excited to use it until i found out i couldn't make any calls...turns out it's going to take until saturday for my number to port over from t-mobile. gah why oh why?!

now i have to keep using my ghetto 600
    Number porting is a 2 hour process .. that makes NO sense at all
    I ported my cingular # yesterday to sprint and it took an hour. The sprint rep told me that it would take 2-3 hours.
    Earlier in the month I brought 8 numbers from Nextel to Sprint. Took 5 days. After 1 week, ported another number from Nextel over to an existing sprint phone, took 2 hours. No rhyme or reason.....
    Mike

"Because none of us are as dumb as all of us."
  5. sj3
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Porting is a weird science. Officially, you're supposed to give it up to 72 hours, but it goes right away in many cases. (I do these almost every day for customers at the shack. It all goes through a national porting center. However, the odd thing about your post is that porting has nothing whatsoever with the ability to make calls from your new phone. When the phone is provisioned by the carrier, it's assigned a temporary MDN (mobile number). The only restriction is that you need to have your old phone with you, for incoming calls only, until the port completes (a text message is sent to your new phone.) Moral: There is probably another problem with your phone's provisioning besides the length of the porting. Call the provider and ask them what gives. Again, porting not being complete does NOT prevent a phone from making outgoing calls. HTH.

sj
    sj3 --

Quote from FCC Site :

For a wireless-to-wireless transfer, the porting process should take approximately two and a half hours from the time the porting request is made of the old carrier. The FCC has not mandated a specific time frame for the wireless-to-wireless porting process. Two and a half hours is the time frame agreed upon by the wireless industry, and the FCC encourages carriers to use that time frame

I have done a half dozen phone number ports since the regulation ... NONE have ever taken over 3 hours. Nothing takes days except landline to wireless. Someone is feeding you BS.
  7.    #7  
    well according to the automated server at sprint,

your telephone number transfer request is still in progress...it will be complete at 2:40AM EST on February 5th, 2005.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sj3
    Porting is a weird science. Officially, you're supposed to give it up to 72 hours, but it goes right away in many cases. (I do these almost every day for customers at the shack. It all goes through a national porting center. However, the odd thing about your post is that porting has nothing whatsoever with the ability to make calls from your new phone. When the phone is provisioned by the carrier, it's assigned a temporary MDN (mobile number). The only restriction is that you need to have your old phone with you, for incoming calls only, until the port completes (a text message is sent to your new phone.) Moral: There is probably another problem with your phone's provisioning besides the length of the porting. Call the provider and ask them what gives. Again, porting not being complete does NOT prevent a phone from making outgoing calls. HTH.

sj
    i can make outgoing calls, but it says i am going to be charged because i am on a roaming network, whatever that means. i AM within the PCS network however.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    ....and here I thought VoIP to VoIP porting wouldn't take long -- I was told it'll be at least 30 days!
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    At least you can port over your number. I wasn't able to port from T-Mobile because the 267 area code I had with T-Mobile isn't one that Sprint does. Peeved me off.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by dethman
    well according to the automated server at sprint,

your telephone number transfer request is still in progress...it will be complete at 2:40AM EST on February 5th, 2005.
    Who are you transfering your number FROM ?

The salesman almost certainly typed in an activation date of 12:01 on 2/5 and thats why you are getting that time frame.

Call up PCS customer care, ask for number portability, have them look at your order and tell them you want the transfer now .. it will happen today I almost guarantee it. (disclaimer is that you are transfering from another wireless provider)
  12.    #12  
    i talked to sprint...they said that they can't do anything because tmobile didn't release the number fully. then i called tmobile and they said it was sprint's problem or not activating the number. at this point i gave up.
    Porting is a function of the provisioning people. The process itself is usually quick, but someone actaully needs to initialize it, and that can take time.

As for the finger pointing, tmobile most likely does not need to release anything. Sprint just has to take it. (That is how it works one the terrestrial side of things anyway)

-rob

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    Porting is a function of the provisioning people. The process itself is usually quick, but someone actaully needs to initialize it, and that can take time.

As for the finger pointing, tmobile most likely does not need to release anything. Sprint just has to take it. (That is how it works one the terrestrial side of things anyway)

-rob

-rob
    Exactly .. Some companies (Nextel is the only one i am aware of) apply a "number guard" to your account for your "protection (yea right)" but once numberguard is disabled any # can and will be transfered almost immediately. This process takes hours not days.

By talk to sprint you do mean the number portability department right ? The CSR's know nothing about how number porting works.