Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been plaing with this for a while....my only options for displaying contacts are 1. (last name, first name) or 2. (company, last name) is there any way to get (first name, last name) or do i have to just deal with it??

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    I would like to know also if this is at all possible.....
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Why should it matter. I mean the standard english format is Last Name first, and than First Name. So don't nic-pic.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybr
    Why should it matter. I mean the standard english format is Last Name first, and than First Name. So don't nic-pic.
    So everytime you write your name you do your last name first??

Of course not...
    Agendus. It seems like it is stable on the 650 (with a few setting tweaks).

Quote Originally Posted by natedoggnp
    I've been plaing with this for a while....my only options for displaying contacts are 1. (last name, first name) or 2. (company, last name) is there any way to get (first name, last name) or do i have to just deal with it??

Thanks!
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Quote Originally Posted by natedoggnp
    ... or do i have to just deal with it??
    It would appear so, in the base OS anyway. Ohmster makes the right call with Agendus.

Now, this is displaying the names first/last, but you know when you start typing in Contacts (like you're trying to look someone up), you can type in the first name and you'll get right there.
    Visor 2MB -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Neo -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Centro
    I brought this up to one of the guys form the roadshow, he said it was a palm source change... How lame, that they are removing options form the OS that have been there since day 1... I have had 6 palms, all had the ability to do firstname, lastname now on the 650 no such luck... I posted a thread on this back in November when i got my Treo 650: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=62785

However the best way to look someone up is type first letter of firstname and first letter of lastname... Usually gets them right away...

Quote Originally Posted by horsmanp
    ... that have been there since day 1...
    I happened to have my Visor Neo on my desk beside me (lent it to a coworker to convince him to join the Palm cult). It doesn't allow first, last - only last, first and company, last. This is OS 3.5.2H3.0. What Palm did you have that allowed this?

Trivia: The digitizer on the Neo is wider than THE ENTIRE T650. Man, we've come a long way. Comparing the two is like going back to those fat pencils you used to get in Kindergarten...
    Visor 2MB -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Neo -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Centro
    Treo 600, Palm M505, Palm V, Palm VX, Palm III, Palm Pro, etc...

10.    #10  
    thanks guys......and damn!
    Quote Originally Posted by horsmanp
    Treo 600, Palm M505, Palm V, Palm VX, Palm III, Palm Pro, etc...
    You're saying that these allow firstname, lastname????
    I dont think thats entirely true.. My treo 600 at least definitely did not allow the ability to do firstname, lastname.
    here's what i did. i skipped the Last name part and went to the First name. On that line, i'll type in the person's full name in the first names spot. Now when you look in your contacts, you'll see the name starting with the first name.
    Quote Originally Posted by stetoki
    You're saying that these allow firstname, lastname????
    I dont think thats entirely true.. My treo 600 at least definitely did not allow the ability to do firstname, lastname.
    The Treo 600 most definately allows you to display in the order of First Name and then Last Name.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybr
    You must mean, standard American format is Last Name first and then First Name because in lots of other countries the norm is to write First Name and then Last Name. For eg. in India first names are less common compared to last names and therefore it makes a lot of sense for us to write First Name and then Last Name. Anyhow what I don't understand is why would you reduce functionality / flexibility instead of adding. For heaven's sake, don't try to fix what ain't broke. Another example of this same stupid thining is the feature difference between the Treo 270/180 and the Treo 600. In the Treo 270/180 from the main screen if you started to type, the search feature was smart enough to figure out if you were dialling a number or looking for a contact in the Address book, but in the Treo 600 you have to first select to go to the Contacts before you can search for a contact. Personally I think the future of Pal OS is not too bright and amongst the resons for it is the narrow thinking.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 02/02/2005 at 04:31 PM.
    The easy solution is where it asks for a last name put the first name and then put the last name in the first name spot.

rj
    Thats not an easy solution, i have 500 contacts in Outlook, their synced with Plaxo, no way I can swap them like that...

Quote Originally Posted by davecombs

Now, this is displaying the names first/last, but you know when you start typing in Contacts (like you're trying to look someone up), you can type in the first name and you'll get right there.
    I think the point above got overlooked. On the Treo, it's not as important which way you enter/sort. Even though the list is sorted as Smith, John, with Walker, John, later in the list, you can easily find all the people with John as a first name. In the contacts list, simply type j-o-h-n (without the hyphens).

It will narrow the displayed list down to every name starting with "john". Yes, it will find people with "johnson" as a last name, too, but it does narrow things down pretty quickly.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Check out a program called Initiate. I'm trying it out, and it works very well as a contact list app that will display lists beginning with First, Last, or Company.

The neat part, is if you type a few letters, it will show listings from all three.

The zip file on Palm Gear has a "Palm like" skin, which I like since it allows much more text to be visible, but the icons in this skin are low res.

--Rick
    West Point, VA
    All the Palm OS PDAs I've owned have NOT allowed first, last unless I added some sort of software to do so. This is not a change (removal of functionality.) This is the way it has ALWAYS been.

I'd like to know one thing from ppl who have used replacement apps for contacts (Agendus, etc...); how well do these integrate w/ the default phone app? If I start typing in letters, does it pull up the old contact app or the replacement?

Skipping last name or reversing is not an option for most of us that sync w/ other apps and in my mind it's just not right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcnelly
    <snip>The neat part, is if you type a few letters, it will show listings from all three.<snip>

--Rick
    West Point, VA
    Palm OS already does this. No need for Initiate to get this functionality.
    Last edited by Geckotek; 02/03/2005 at 08:37 PM.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    How about getting the contact name and the phone number on the same line to show more contacts per screen--anyone been able to do that?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast