1.    #1  
    On a lark I dropped by Cingular this afternoon to see what the "story" was today for the GSM 650. They had 2 of them!

My jaw dropped. I couldn't believe it, good luck eh? I should have walked out with that luck and bought a lottery ticket. It would have been about as effective as buying the phone.

Ok. Thats harsh. I mean, its not like Cingular/P1 has had 2 months to get the bugs worked out with these phones.

Here's the deal. The phone registers on the network. It can initiate a call, but immediately after initiation it freezes up and will eventually reboot. Even if you don't call, if its left sitting idle (on the network) it will reboot after 3 minutes. Neat, huh?

I will say its the best looking non-functional Treo I've ever had.

Anyone else have this happen? Should I shut up and be glad that I've got one? Even if I can't use it? Talk about your anti climax. 3 months of waiting, and this? Sheeesh.

I've tried hard resets, soft resets, used the sim card in another phone (it worked), called Cingular - they say "its on the network". Hmmmm. Ideas anyone?

Oh, I went back to the store right away, tried the 2nd one. Same thing. This is what leads me to think that there must be something that needs to be done to the phone to make it "ok" with the Cingular network here in St. Louis.
    I recall reading someone stating they had lunch with their friend who works for Cingular and according to him, Cingular delayed the release b/c of software issues/glitches with Cingular's network. If that's true and accurate, your situation sounds like it'd fall into that category - so, perhaps, you got one from the initial batch that had these software issues/glitches??
  3.    #3  
    Yah. Thats what I was thinking too, although I had no hard evidence to back it up. I noticed on another thread that someone else in STL had purchased a 650 from the same agent as I did today. I have 3 days to return it (and get my activation fee back). I'm thinking that maybe I need to let them continue to stew on it.
    Try changing the band it connects on.
    3 days to return it? Cingular offers a 30-day trial period...?
  6.    #6  
    yah. 3 days to get my activation fee and everything back -- at least at this agent.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexracer
    Yah. Thats what I was thinking too, although I had no hard evidence to back it up. I noticed on another thread that someone else in STL had purchased a 650 from the same agent as I did today. I have 3 days to return it (and get my activation fee back). I'm thinking that maybe I need to let them continue to stew on it.
    I've had my Treo since this afternoon and have made 4 or 5 calls on it. It's worked great for the most part, however I did have a problem with it. After the battery ran down pretty low, I was unable to place outgoing or receive incoming calls. I think it may have been due to the low battery. I have charged my phone and haven't had any problems since. I'll keep you posted.
  8.    #8  
    Trying to followup on Skilllz suggestion about changing the band. I must be missing the obvious.

How do I do that? Failing this, I'll put it on the charger tonight and hope that the batt was just very low and couldn't complete the transmition.....
  9.    #9  
    Call off the dogs.

Not sure if its a requirement or not, but after replacing my old sim card with a new one everything works great. My old card (11 mos old) was a 32kb card, the new one is a 64kb.
    Stange that the new card worked but the old one didn't. Maybe it is something with the orange units, but I can't think waht it would be. Sounded like a bad Treo to me. So did you get a new number with that SIM or is it the old number you had?
    Treo 650 GSM
  11.    #11  
    I wanted to keep my number from my old phone - so thats why I just transferred the card to the Treo. They couldn't explain why the new card worked. I wonder if there is a minimum requirement of the chip size.