Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Hey,

Any ideas on how to burn MP3's to a CD without CD burner built into your PC. I have stand alone CD burner, but I don't have a clue if I can connect it to my Lap top. It may be impossible but any suggestions would be appreciated.
    What?
    More info needed...

What kind of "stand-alone" CD burner? What kind of connectors are on it?
    What's your laptop/OS?

PS: This will probably get moved to Off-Topic, as it's not Treo-centric.
    Visor 2MB -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Neo -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Centro
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I have an "old time" TDK DA-5900 cd-burner with a Toshiba lap top. I wonder if there are any connections I could buy to transfer my mp3 to a CD.
    By the way my mp3s are all on my 600 so it makes it related...
    What?
    I'm assuming the TDK has connections for external sources, correct? It should be a matter of going from line out from laptop to line in on the recorder.

The "line out" could be anything compatible, probably a headphone jack, into the rear of the TDK. It may just take a straight cable, or you may have to get an adapter, like an minijack to RCA connection. Or if you have optical or SPDIF connections, thats another option.

I'm not sure if you'd have to do any converting of the mp3's before hand. The TDK will probably do that though.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    OK, here goes...

If I understand correctly, you have MP3s on your Treo 600, and you want to burn them to CD-R using your TDK DA-5900 recorder. You will need a 2.5mm to 3.5mm converter (like Treo users need for using standard headphones), a cable that has a 3.5mm stereo male plug on one end and two RCA male connectors (typically white & red) on the other; alternately, you could get a simple "Y-adapter" and just use regular stereo patch cables. The RCA connectors will go into the LINE IN jacks (which again should be color-coded white & red) on the back of the DA-5900. Then, get your Treo ready to play the MP3s. The problem here is that your Treo will be outputting amplified audio (it has to, because it needs to drive your headphone's speakers). Your DA-5900 will be expecting line-level (unamplified) input. This means that you may have to experiment with the Treo's volume to prevent overdriving the recording part of the CD recorder.

I guess this begs the question, however, of how the MP3s you want to record got into your Treo in the first place...

Cable example:Radio Shack/Monster Cable (extremely expensive, but the idea is the same)
    "Y adapter" example:Again, from the Rad Shack

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davecombs
    OK, here goes...

If I understand correctly, you have MP3s on your Treo 600, and you want to burn them to CD-R using your TDK DA-5900 recorder. You will need a 2.5mm to 3.5mm converter (like Treo users need for using standard headphones), a cable that has a 3.5mm stereo male plug on one end and two RCA male connectors (typically white & red) on the other; alternately, you could get a simple "Y-adapter" and just use regular stereo patch cables. The RCA connectors will go into the LINE IN jacks (which again should be color-coded white & red) on the back of the DA-5900. Then, get your Treo ready to play the MP3s. The problem here is that your Treo will be outputting amplified audio (it has to, because it needs to drive your headphone's speakers). Your DA-5900 will be expecting line-level (unamplified) input. This means that you may have to experiment with the Treo's volume to prevent overdriving the recording part of the CD recorder.

I guess this begs the question, however, of how the MP3s you want to record got into your Treo in the first place...

Cable example:Radio Shack/Monster Cable (extremely expensive, but the idea is the same)
    "Y adapter" example:Again, from the Rad Shack

Good luck.

Thanks for the thorough reply (you too Insertion). I am going to give it a shot...As to how these MP3s found themselves on my 600... through perfectly legal means of course
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hest
    through perfectly legal means of course
    I didn't mean to imply that. What I was getting at is that the MP3s had to get synced into your Treo somehow, namely a PC, and so you already had to have the MP3s somewhere (either on a CD or on the PC's hard disk). You could use the PC to send them to the TDK much easier than fussing with the Treo and the adapters.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davecombs
    I didn't mean to imply that. What I was getting at is that the MP3s had to get synced into your Treo somehow, namely a PC, and so you already had to have the MP3s somewhere (either on a CD or on the PC's hard disk). You could use the PC to send them to the TDK much easier than fussing with the Treo and the adapters.

Actually that sounds like a great idea... what would you suggest?
    What?
    Connect your PC to the TDK by running the same kind of cable mentioned before from your sound card's LINE OUT port, which is typically green (you'd plug your speakers into this one), to the TDK. Then use Windows Media Player or whatever you use to listen to your MP3s, and that should send the audio through the line out port. Then do what you do on the TDK to start recording.