Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Yeah I cannot find thier pda plans on thier web site either. But the rep that I talk to is in their data services dept. she told me what I said b4. I think that cingular may have screwed up and is allowing people on their media works plans to operate at EDGE speed with out additional charges, since so many people are reporting this is so. The rep told me that phones would require thier pda plan to utilize EDGE, but this may just be what they are trained to say.

I do not work for cingular anymore. I said my store, not my cingular store, has cingular 650's in stock.
    Shouting releases frustration when you have to repeat things over and over and over to people who say "THEY ARE 100% SURE" about something which is obviously incorrect. If people would only say "as far as I know" or "I'm 99% sure unless someone had other information" things would be much more pleasant.

In any case, to the best of my knowledge it's not on the website yet. Call a rep and ask for the PDA DATA PLAN. If he can't find it, call another. It exists. It's been discussed, purchased and confirmed dozens of times on this board. It's DOWNSIDE is they (at least BLUE) won't put it on a shared minutes family plan (from my experiences of last week). AFAIAC it gives you NOTHING the $19.99 plan doesn't gives you. They charge more because it's a "data centric device" and the expect you'll be using more bandwidth on average and want to make more money. The $19.99 is allegedly a WAP only service but that is not the case. As I stated in many previous messages, anything beyond HTTP and POP3 MIGHT get you charged (that applies to Cingular Blue, and it has happened to me) however I have yet to hear of anyone charged on Cingular Orange.
    Quote Originally Posted by baal
    Shouting generally doesn't help to make people take you seriously....

OK, I apparantly didn't ask for the super secret PDA plan.. nor can I find it on their site... nor did the 2 reps I talked to today know anything about it.. my neighbor is a manager at one of their call centers, I'll ask her when I get home. Oh, and everything I've heard thusfar is that Data Connect is what they are trying to sell with the Treo's.. that's not my opinion, that's observed from others, and that's what 3 reps tried to sell me.. That's awesome you've tethered so much data, is that via HTTP/POP/SMTP? also, keep in mind that I never said you CAN'T tether.. they just make it as difficult as they can - if so, no I don't expect you'd get charged for it (see previous message about ports) - If you've gotten it with something like SFTP / IMAP / FTP, and not gotten charged, I'd be interested to hear more about it.. (as I'd be using SSH-centric services primarily from my device for my job if I knew it were free / cheap)

Anyhow.. can you provide a link or something with this PDA plan on it? - I'd be interested to see it, and what it would provide over the 20 dollar plan I have now..

- G
    Heh.. I understand frustration.. trust me - been doing this systems administration gig for 11 years this spring.. Good to hear we might not get charged on Cingular orange, as that's where my device is now.

My goal now is to get upgraded to the 650.. what do we think the odds are that I'll be able to upgrade within my 30 day window? - I'm actually a little nervous that they might be out of stock before I get to trade my 600 in...

- G
    I will say this - when ordering from the P1 site (We all know they offer the $19.99 Media plan) - it doesn't say EDGE Anywhere in the ordering process - they were very careful not to mention it -

Not that that means much...
    Steelers! we don't need no stinking steelers (displaced Clevelander here )

On the phone with my local Cingular store.. they said they have nothing yet, although I think I've found a golden store.. the guys there have been EXTREMELY helpful, and actually seem to know what they're talking about - you just have to prod them a bit with some tech-talk. I'm now the first on their waiting list to get one at that store, so hopefully I'll get within my 30 days..

- G
    yeah the 39.99 pda plan is crap they are just charging you more for a data centric device as others have put it. Media works does cover GPRS and EDGE.
    Once I get to work and make sure we still have some in stock I will post info for ordering from our store and how many we have in stock. BTW we do free shipping
    seems that the cingular branded one will have the cingular logo on the left side of the device

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48672558@N00/
    It means nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by steelers1
    Not that that means much...
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I believe on the Orange side there are three plans:
    $7.99 MEdia Basic
    $19.99 MEdia Works
    $29.99-79.99 Data Connect

MEdia Basic is for light usage.. and MEdia Works is for heavier usage. These packages are available for all handsets. The Data connect is for the PC Cards (like the onces pictured in the brochure). To the best of my knowledge (and personal experience with the Nokia 6620 and Treo 650), you can get EDGE on all three of these. I can even receive EDGE with none of these (with no package via pay as you go).

This being said, I have not been charged any overages.. and every single call I've maid regarding adding data to the Treo 650 to the Corporate Sales and Key Accounts has pointed me toward the MEdia Works package. I do believe that some sales reps won't let you sign up for MEdia Basic, but I attribute that to confusion. I've spoken to some reps that did say, "To use the data services you need the Data Conn... oh, wait, that's for the PC Cards... hmm.. oh, you can use MEdia Works." Also, as best as I can discern, the Data Connect is great for "connecting to your corporate networks for VPN" because it gives out a static IP.

On the Blue side, they've muddled it completely.. because mid-year last year, they changed the price points for getting data to a PDA.. although, with the Nokia 6620, i did receive ~100kbs with the $7.99 plan (without overage charges).. not sure what the current policy is though..

hope this helps

kjohn
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Almost forgot.. for potential Orange customers, here are the links:

MEdia Basic and MEdia Works

Data Connect

kjohn
    boo they took it down
    Quote Originally Posted by baal
    Heh.. I understand frustration.. trust me - been doing this systems administration gig for 11 years this spring.. Good to hear we might not get charged on Cingular orange, as that's where my device is now.

My goal now is to get upgraded to the 650.. what do we think the odds are that I'll be able to upgrade within my 30 day window? - I'm actually a little nervous that they might be out of stock before I get to trade my 600 in...

- G
    if you just bought the treo 600 and want to exchange it for a 650 from cingular. the life timer on the 600 cannot exceed 30 minutes of use.

sometimes you can get away with it, but most of the times they will not accept it if the timer says over 30 minutes.

also cingular will not do upgrades for customers who are not at least 6 months into their contracts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ST1R
    Media works IS NOT the same as EDGE service. Media works (AKA GPRS) speed is aproxamatly the same as dialup. EDGE service 79.99 a month is nearly as fast as DSL. There is huge difference in speed and price.

As for people being signed up for this bogus 44.99 data plan, cingular is doing one of two things one is charging users who agree to it way to much for GPRS service or they are selling EDGE data plans that have transfer limits. The latter of which is more likely since they make a ton of money when you go over your data plan just like when you go over you minutes.
    You're clearly misinformed.
    They're on to us. Must've gotten too many hits on the link.. It has been removed...

http://www.cingular.com/treo650
    Quote Originally Posted by noahs
    Check this out:
    http://www.cingular.com/treo650

Only $399 after $50 mail in rebate.

However, when I try to order I get a "null" error page. Looks like we must be real close now to the official release...
    Just got this via email from Treostore.com:

New Cingular customers can purchase the phone either from palmOne for $499, or through the TreoCentral Store for $349.99 (after $50 mail-in rebate).
    Bruce Corcoran, e-PRO RealtorŪ, C21 VIP
    Century 21 Amador Valley
    700 Main Street
    Pleasanton, Ca. 94566
    925-200-0206 Cell
    http://www.Pleasanton-Houses.com

A referral is the greatest "compliment" I can receive from a friend or client. If you know of anyone who is thinking of buying or selling real estate, please do not hesitate to contact me.
    At least as of Nov 27 '04 blue had $24.99/month unlimited mMode. Got that with my 6620 and sim-swapped to my 650 and it works fine w/EDGE speeds ~100.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjohn
    I believe on the Orange side there are three plans:
    $7.99 MEdia Basic
    $19.99 MEdia Works
    $29.99-79.99 Data Connect

On the Blue side, they've muddled it completely.. because mid-year last year, they changed the price points for getting data to a PDA.. although, with the Nokia 6620, i did receive ~100kbs with the $7.99 plan (without overage charges).. not sure what the current policy is though..

hope this helps

kjohn
    I don't see how it's a big deal... With Verizon rolling out their new wireless broadband network for $79 a month (300-500kbs), and Sprint charging much less for unlimited data, I fail to see how these so called $45 data plans can last for the 650.

As much as I want to go GSM, I'm not going to be raped in order to do so.

Sprint might have crappy support, but I'm having a hard time justifying switching to Cingular now.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I agree. I've been considering a switch to Cingular for the GSM650, but this data plan stuff has me scared. Even though it sounds like you can '"trick" them into giving you the MediaWorks plan, there's enough uncertainty for me to stay on the sidelines for now. I think I'll give it a few months to shake out and then re-evaluate.

My $10/month Vision plan is awfully tough to leave too....
    I am still on me old grandfathered plan of $85 for two lines, 2000 minutes, and unlimited vision.

I get picture mail and all that crap too.

How has this merger benefited anyone? Seems like an excuse to keep prices higher.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast