Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ST1R
    you need a data plan from sprint get the vision...

you need a data plan from sprint get the vision plan. if you already have a data plan then call customer service to have them help you set it up

I used to work for cingular I know these things.
    regaurdless of what cingular's retarded

I quit working there because I could not stand the ignorance of my co-workers. If you want proof of just how uninformed cingular sales reps are, take a close look at your service contract. It states in the contract that cingular is not required to honor anything a sales rep tells you. This means a cingular rep could sell you a motorola v60 under the pretense that it records video and plays mp3's but you would still be locked into your service plan even though the sales rep lied.
    you can get one of two plans with cingular media works (dial-up speed) is $19.99/month, cingular's EDGE service (DSL speed) is $79.99
    Like I've been saying for a couple of days now it will be avalible on the 3rd, delayed 1 week from the original release date the 28th.
    EDGE service 79.99 a month is nearly as fast as DSL.
    edge is 384 kbps.

I am telling you Palm and Cingular both are decetful, their primary objective is to extract as much money from your wallet as possible. Lets say you own a 650 and sign up for media works. You will pay 19.99/mo + a per kilobyte charge for data transfered, that is unless you disable the EDGE service.
    Last edited by cglaguna; 02/02/2005 at 01:01 AM.
    I'm a noob in these parts so I don't expect anyone to take me seriously

but.. to my understanding EDGE is simply an enhanced datarate version of GPRS - You can have a phone with EDGE service (like my old nokia 6200) that will do both.

The m-media / m-mode / whatever plan is basiclly a plan for joe-consumer to use email and download Brittany Spears ringtones over a WAP browser, it will not, however prevent you from hanging the device off of a PC, or using a VNC / SSH / pick your favorite protocol client off of it. What ATT/Cingular WILL do, however is charge you per K for services outside of that core web/wap/email (ports 80,25, and 110) that you use on your phone, and to my knowledge they make it as difficult as possible to hang a PC off of the phone (ie disabling Bluetooth DUN, not offering ANY kind of support for such a situation, and trying to not sell phones with this capability with the m-mode/m-media plan) ATT/Cingular also sells the data plan, which to my knowledge is more geared toward business customers, you've gotta admit that not a whole lot of people are willing to pay 80 bucks for slow phone internet access in addition to paying for their regular phone service...

I've always thought of GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) akin to a 10baseT network and EDGE (Enhanced Datarate for GSM Evolution) as a 100baseT network connection.. different media, same function - anything you can do over EDGE you can do over GPRS and vice-versa..

Everything i've presented here I've found online or derived through my own twisted common sense, if I'm wrong please point me where to look..

- Gary
    well said baal (or gary)
    Now, if I could only get someone to tell me how to get my 600 that I picked up today exchanged for a 650 I'd be a happy camper I'm about to go over to the store tomorrow and make sure I'm on SOME kind of waiting list so I don't go over my 30 day return if the Cingular 650's go out of stock.
    Just tell them that the 600 isn't really what you need. That you really enjoyed using your BT headset when you had your sony ericsson t68i. The freedom that only the 650 w/BT could give you. And if they give you any problems just tell them you want to cancel. No business wants to lose a customer.
    Last edited by Robbie; 02/02/2005 at 01:36 AM.
    All of you will be upset when you learn about the 79.99 that cingular is going to stick all of us with
    well... from the economic standpoint, now that Att&Cingular have merged and are currently controlling a very large market share, they surely have the monopolistic power to dictate prices. So, I won't be too surpised if they decide to either limit our EDGE usage with MediaWorks or apply some extra charges.

I think the government has to step in and file an antitrust lawsuit (like they did against ATT long time ago). Otherwise, CinguATT has too much power.

I hope to not be forced to pay more than $20/mo for EDGE
    70/mo is outrageous

Cingular needs some competition.... maybe Tmobile can improve their web/data infrastructre....
    Treo 650
    Treo 600
    Cingular
    MediaWorks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    The problem for 650 or SX66 users is that Cingular will not sell (or no longer sell) the MW package for these communicator devices -they want $45 bucks for unlimited data, or $30 for 10 MB. These are Edge rates for what they consider data-intensive devices (Note that the SX66 is not even Edge-enabled). There are a lot of claims or theories about MW on these forums, but none that I know of are from actual owners of either of these devices. I saw a rep's book in one of the stores 2 weeks ago and the page for the SX had a big-font alert saying that MW was not available for this device. Caveat emptor.
    I had an iMate PDA2K (same as the SX66) on Cingular and had the $19.99 MW package. Of course the device is not EDGE, but MW worked just fine. If you allow yourself to buy a carrier subsidized phone, then you will be subjected to the carriers rules. Dont want to pay $44 for data access (which I think is EXPENSIVE for a handheld device), then buy an unlocked phone. The bottom line is, you either pay up front, or pay as you go on a monthly basis. I am waiting for an unlocked phone. I never teather my phone, and when I use my laptop I use a data card and pay the full $79. In reality, I do very little data on my Treo600, mostly just email, but I have the $19.99 MW package for the 1500 SMS. To be honest, I am not sure how Cingular can justify a PDA data plan like that when Sprint is really very reasonably priced.
    Carl
    Bzzzzzt! Wrong.
    Media works IS NOT the same as EDGE service. Media works (AKA GPRS) speed is aproxamatly the same as dialup. EDGE service 79.99 a month is nearly as fast as DSL. There is huge difference in speed and price.

As for people being signed up for this bogus 44.99 data plan, cingular is doing one of two things one is charging users who agree to it way to much for GPRS service or they are selling EDGE data plans that have transfer limits. The latter of which is more likely since they make a ton of money when you go over your data plan just like when you go over you minutes.
    Yea, and another said the 650 is coming out in April, and another said, and another said and another said .......
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarman702
    St1r is correct, I talked to a cingular rep today and they told me that the unlimited data plan was indeed 79.99, and that does not include your voice plan you may want to get.
    Let me put it like THIS: You are DEFINATELY confusing EDGE and UMTS (and Treo isn't a UMTS phone). UMTS is indeed $79 and 300k+. I guess the fact I get 100-120kbps on my 650 regularly using my Nokia 6620 SIM $20 plan is an hallucination. YOU ARE WRONG.
    I am very sure of my previous assertions, if you are not paying less than $79.99 for data service, regaurdless of what cingular's retarded reps tell you, you do not have unlimited EDGE service. If you are currently paying $19.99 for media works and are seeing EDGE service speeds then you are going to be charged per kilobyte transfered.

Let me put it like this:
    GPRS = 60kbps downstream 15kbps upstream
    EDGE = 300kbps downstream 75kbps upstream

If you have a phone with GPRS and EDGE ie the treo you can get GPRS or EDGE service without a data plan, but you will pay per kilobyte of transfer. If you don't want to pay per kilobyte you can sign up for a data plan. Cingular's media works plan covers unlimited GPRS data only. Their data plans which are currently on their website appear to only be avalible for their pc cards. But if you want unlimited EDGE service for a flat rate no matter what device you have (650,razor,pc card) you will pay $79.99
    ROTFLMAOPIMP!!!!!!! Yea, absolutely. If they say it then it's GOTTA BE correct! Bwahahahaha!
    79.99 is for the unlimited data plan. Where would we get a # like 79.99 if it wasnt true???
    With all due respect. YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE. The $79 plan is called LAPTOP CONNECT and is for a PCMCIA card in your laptop. Yes, there is a $45 (or whatever) PDA plan for (surprise) PDA's. The fact a rep (or a, cough, former rep) without a clue gives incorrect information doesn't make it correct. The $19.99 plan has a bit of "luck" involved to get it but many of us have had it without problem or extra billing. This has been discussed over and over for months and STR1 (a "former" rep) just is plain wrong on MANY of his "facts".
    All of you will be upset when you learn about the 79.99 that cingular is going to stick all of us with
    Last edited by MisterEd; 02/02/2005 at 06:22 AM.
    Since I literally JUST bought a 600...

a) yes, the unlimited data plan is like 80 bucks, every single rep (4) I talked to confirmed this (I thought it was rediculous also).. that's why I was originally NOT even going to bother.. that's for unlimited data over any type of device over any type of protocol. Made for those business folks who have data phones / laptop cards and desire to use the data with no voice plan (or just an add-on)

b) you don't NEED the unlimited data plan to operate a 600/650/ whichever (but your laptop pcmcia card would be rather worthless I'd think) Most (3/4) of the cingular reps I talked to tried to tell me I absolutly have to have the data plan if I get a treo, except one, at the store. I told him exactly what I wanted and he said ''yeah, you can do that, but you don't get some of the other add-ons" with further prodding he said "yeah, if you use any regular internet services other than web and mail you'll get charged, and it WILL get expensive FAST"

c) EDGE _is_ theoreticlly 384Kbps, UMTS is a completely different ball of wax, with theoretical data throughput of around 2 Mbps (similar to W-CDMA of which verizon will be offering a derivative of, and sprint is buying in) - afaikafaikafaik $neither$ $ATT$/$Cingular$ $don$'$t$ $offer$ $any$ $UMTS$ $Phones$ / $packages$

whee!

- G
    "EVERY SINGLE (4) REPS YOU SPOKE WITH ARE WRONG!!!! YES, I AM SHOUTING! BELIEVE ME. You are asking for the wrong thing! You want the PDA UNLIMITED DATA PLAN not DATA CONNECT. Note the word PDA, that's PEE DEE AY. It's NEW (about 3 months). Unlimited data FOR A PDA is (technically) $44 (max) $20 easily accomplished. We're not talking about laptops. It is so silly to argue this over and over and over. THEY/YOU ARE WRONG. If you want UNL for a PC-CARD, fine, pay $79. It's assigned to the PHONE number so it can only be used on 1 device/sim. If you want UNL DATA for your 650 IT'S $44/$20. Tethering is another issue. I've "tethered" hundreds of megabytes of data on my $20 plan AND HAVE NEVER BEEN CHARGED A CENT even though it's "technically" not permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by baal
    Since I literally JUST bought a 600...

a) yes, the unlimited data plan is like 80 bucks, every single rep (4) I talked to confirmed this (I thought it was rediculous also).. that's why I was originally NOT even going to bother.. that's for unlimited data over any type of device over any type of protocol. Made for those business folks who have data phones / laptop cards and desire to use the data with no voice plan (or just an add-on)

b) you don't NEED the unlimited data plan to operate a 600/650/ whichever (but your laptop pcmcia card would be rather worthless I'd think) Most (3/4) of the cingular reps I talked to tried to tell me I absolutly have to have the data plan if I get a treo, except one, at the store. I told him exactly what I wanted and he said ''yeah, you can do that, but you don't get some of the other add-ons" with further prodding he said "yeah, if you use any regular internet services other than web and mail you'll get charged, and it WILL get expensive FAST"

c) EDGE _is_ theoreticlly 384Kbps, UMTS is a completely different ball of wax, with theoretical data throughput of around 2 Mbps (similar to W-CDMA of which verizon will be offering a derivative of, and sprint is buying in) - afaikafaikafaik $neither$ $ATT$/$Cingular$ $don$'$t$ $offer$ $any$ $UMTS$ $Phones$ / $packages$

whee!

- G
    I see your point here cglaguna. It doesn't require commentary. If you comment on it, your risk injecting youself into the ________________.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...est#post543003
    Last edited by specimen38; 02/02/2005 at 07:46 AM.
    Well those were some nice qoutes taken completely out of context.

Anyways I called cingular customer service to clear all of this up.

There are currently 3 different unlimited data plans.

Media Works is $19.99/month it includes unlimited GPRS data(possibly edge, the all the rep would tell me is that pda devices require a special pda plan)

PDA data plan is $39.99/month it operates both on GPRS and EDGE but includes no txt messaging

DATA plans are 79.99/month for thier pc cards or for edge enabled phones being used as a modem.

The data plan is a dedicated connection kind of like dialup just faster.

I forgot to mention I was correct on the feb.3 release date at my store I currently have 40 cingular 650's in stock. They arrived via fedex about 15 minutes ago.
    Last edited by ST1R; 02/02/2005 at 08:52 AM.
    So what should one do when ordering the treo650 from cingular?

buy just the phone and once you get it call back to order a data plan?

I myself will have to actually have to call cingular to order my treo650 to transfer two phone numbers from attw account to cingular and one will get the treo650.
    Hellllo! I believe that's what we all were saying but you insisted otherwise. So do you work for Cingular or did you quit?

I forgot to mention I was correct on the feb.3 release date at my store I currently have 40 cingular 650's in stock. They arrived via fedex about 15 minutes ago.
    I used to work for cingular I know these things. I quit working there because I could not stand the ignorance of my co-workers.
    Well those were some nice qoutes taken completely out of context.

Anyways I called cingular customer service to clear all of this up.

There are currently 3 different unlimited data plans.

Media Works is $19.99/month it includes unlimited GPRS data(possibly edge, the all the rep would tell me is that pda devices require a special pda plan)

PDA data plan is $39.99/month it operates both on GPRS and EDGE but includes no txt messaging

DATA plans are 79.99/month for thier pc cards or for edge enabled phones being used as a modem.

The data plan is a dedicated connection kind of like dialup just faster.

Shouting generally doesn't help to make people take you seriously....

OK, I apparantly didn't ask for the super secret PDA plan.. nor can I find it on their site... nor did the 2 reps I talked to today know anything about it.. my neighbor is a manager at one of their call centers, I'll ask her when I get home. Oh, and everything I've heard thusfar is that Data Connect is what they are trying to sell with the Treo's.. that's not my opinion, that's observed from others, and that's what 3 reps tried to sell me.. That's awesome you've tethered so much data, is that via HTTP/POP/SMTP? also, keep in mind that I never said you CAN'T tether.. they just make it as difficult as they can - if so, no I don't expect you'd get charged for it (see previous message about ports) - If you've gotten it with something like SFTP / IMAP / FTP, and not gotten charged, I'd be interested to hear more about it.. (as I'd be using SSH-centric services primarily from my device for my job if I knew it were free / cheap)

Anyhow.. can you provide a link or something with this PDA plan on it? - I'd be interested to see it, and what it would provide over the 20 dollar plan I have now..

- G

-- EDIT --

A few posts popped in between starting and ending my reply.. Interesting you have to ask for the PDA plan... I'll give it a shot today if I get time..

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    "EVERY SINGLE (4) REPS YOU SPOKE WITH ARE WRONG!!!! YES, I AM SHOUTING! BELIEVE ME. You are asking for the wrong thing! You want the PDA UNLIMITED DATA PLAN not DATA CONNECT. Note the word PDA, that's PEE DEE AY. It's NEW (about 3 months). Unlimited data FOR A PDA is (technically) $44 (max) $20 easily accomplished. We're not talking about laptops. It is so silly to argue this over and over and over. THEY/YOU ARE WRONG. If you want UNL for a PC-CARD, fine, pay $79. It's assigned to the PHONE number so it can only be used on 1 device/sim. If you want UNL DATA for your 650 IT'S $44/$20. Tethering is another issue. I've "tethered" hundreds of megabytes of data on my $20 plan AND HAVE NEVER BEEN CHARGED A CENT even though it's "technically" not permitted.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast