Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ST1R
    I am very sure of my previous assertions, if you are not paying less than $79.99 for data service, regaurdless of what cingular's retarded reps tell you, you do not have unlimited EDGE service. If you are currently paying $19.99 for media works and are seeing EDGE service speeds then you are going to be charged per kilobyte transfered.

Let me put it like this:
    GPRS = 60kbps downstream 15kbps upstream
    EDGE = 300kbps downstream 75kbps upstream

If you have a phone with GPRS and EDGE ie the treo you can get GPRS or EDGE service without a data plan, but you will pay per kilobyte of transfer. If you don't want to pay per kilobyte you can sign up for a data plan. Cingular's media works plan covers unlimited GPRS data only. Their data plans which are currently on their website appear to only be avalible for their pc cards. But if you want unlimited EDGE service for a flat rate no matter what device you have (650,razor,pc card) you will pay $79.99
    you need to read this thread
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=64733

The topic about the media plan and edge etc etc etc. has been discussed over and over again with many valueble points that the media works plan does give you edge since the phone is edge capable.

i'm not an expert but boy the other users have made me believe.
    Just call the business line today and they will tell you...800-429-7222, st1r is right about this, I was blown away. I even asked twice to make sure, and they told me the same thing. 79.99 is for the unlimited data plan. Where would we get a # like 79.99 if it wasnt true???
    they why is the only plan they have on the palm one web site 19.99 ??
    Exactly you have a 300mb/mo plan, you won't be charged per kilobyte till you exceed 300mb of tranfer in one month, that is exactly what I just said.

Also those rate are very close to acual rates theoretical for gprs is 171.2kbps and edge is 384 kbps. With that being said, each cellular tower has only so much bandwidth avalible. So if there were not to many people in your cell you could easily achieve the speeds I mentioned in the previous post.
    yes but aren't those rates kbits per sec not kbytes per sec. You cant even compare edge to broadband.
    I am telling you Palm and Cingular both are decetful, their primary objective is to extract as much money from your wallet as possible. Lets say you own a 650 and sign up for media works. You will pay 19.99/mo + a per kilobyte charge for data transfered, that is unless you disable the EDGE service.
    Hey, I just completed my order for a 650 GSM unlocked from Palmone site. It was $599. I plan to insert my ATT SIM card which has my 24.99 unlimited Mmode. Wow. They have been available on the site for 37 minutes. 12am eastern time
    I just ordered mine via the PalmOne website. It states 1 to 2 weeks delivery, which sucks, But atleast they are shipping it via overnight, when it does ship that is.
    Corey

Current Devices: Palm Pre 2, HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Atrix, Samsung Focus and Apple's iPhone 4
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Exactly you have a 300mb/mo plan, you won't be charged per kilobyte till you exceed 300mb of tranfer in one month, that is exactly what I just said.
    You're not paying attention...

a. I use 300mb/mo of data
    b. I have unlimited Internet via MediaWorks (so it's really irrelevant how much data I use... I'm just illustrating that after 300mb, I still get a bill for 19.95/mo)
    c. If I use 400mb one month I still will not be charged
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    This is what I've learned as well, Sugarman and St1r. MW will run Edge for Edge-enabled *phones*. The problem for 650 or SX66 users is that Cingular will not sell (or no longer sell) the MW package for these communicator devices -they want $45 bucks for unlimited data, or $30 for 10 MB. These are Edge rates for what they consider data-intensive devices (Note that the SX66 is not even Edge-enabled). There are a lot of claims or theories about MW on these forums, but none that I know of are from actual owners of either of these devices. I saw a rep's book in one of the stores 2 weeks ago and the page for the SX had a big-font alert saying that MW was not available for this device. Caveat emptor.
    I have been and I have been posted as an actual user several times, and yes MEdia works is unlimited full internet and with Cingular Internet = EDGE on compatible phones. I hate to have to repeat this endlessly. And yes I bought another phone today, a 650.
    I agree with you completely if you have media works for 19.99 a month with a V620 like you do, you could use 3,000,000,000mb and still only be charged $19.99. When you get your unlocked 650 it will be EDGE enabled unlike your current phone. Again unless you disable the EDGE service or get an EDGE data plan you will be charged per kilobyte.
    I agree with you completely if you have media works for 19.99 a month with a V620 like you do, you could use 3,000,000,000mb and still only be charged $19.99. When you get your unlocked 650 it will be EDGE enabled unlike your current phone. Again unless you disable the EDGE service or get an EDGE data plan you will be charged per kilobyte.
    What about if I get a Motorola V551 then ?!?
    It's available with MediaWorks and has EDGE.

MediaWorks is an unlimited data plan. If the phone is EDGE capable, I will get EDGE speed. Period.
    I have been with Cingular/SBCPac bell for 5+ years. I hope people are not going to listen to fly-by-nighters of people that have been on TC for 1 month to 1 week. As we have all experienced Cingular store and employees and phone center employees know as much as the fry cook at Wienerschiztle about Cingular phone plans. Please go back through my posts to see how many have been inaccurate about every release date, phone issue, merger or data issue. I am not claiming to know everything, but I do know MEdia works is 19.99 and DOES include EDGE and I have it. Today 1 hour after I ordered my phone with Cingular, another rep called me and told me that Cingular postpomed it's release til March, HELLO!
    yes you WILL get EDGE speeds and yes you WILL be charged extra for it

Cingular is gonna be laughing all the way to the bank on this one. They have pulled the cloak over your eyes.

Since half of you will never believe me, resolve this with a call to cingular customer service tommarow and ask them this exact question: "If I were to purchase a motorola razor and transfer my current media works plan, would I have to pay anything extra to activate EDGE service, and how much will I be charged for using the EDGE service?"

I'll be back on in the morning let me know what they said
    How about the Treo 650 for Cingular for $349.99? Just click here!
    I think cglaguna is right.... and he is talking by experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by lmelamed
    How about the Treo 650 for Cingular for $349.99? Just click here!
    Good link !
    2-year contract though vs 1 year on P1.
    Visor Phone > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 (on order still waiting)

Why is the v3 or the v551 missing from the line up, you must own one of the two?
    If I were someone reading this thread seeing how much controversy there has been concerning this issue. I would definatly follow my recommendation of calling cingular and asking them "If I were to purchase a motorola razor and transfer my current media works plan, would I have to pay anything extra to activate EDGE service, and how much will I be charged for using the EDGE service?"

They will tell you which one of us is correct.

BTW if I am wrong you just don't have to sign up for an EDGE data plan
    if cglaguna is wrong you are going to have a massive unexpected phone bill

Like I said check it out for your self
    I am very sure of my previous assertions, if you are not paying less than $79.99 for data service, regaurdless of what cingular's retarded reps tell you, you do not have unlimited EDGE service. If you are currently paying $19.99 for media works and are seeing EDGE service speeds then you are going to be charged per kilobyte transfered.

Let me put it like this:

GPRS = 60kbps downstream 15kbps upstream

EDGE = 300kbps downstream 75kbps upstream

If you have a phone with GPRS and EDGE ie the treo you can get GPRS or EDGE service without a data plan, but you will pay per kilobyte of transfer. If you don't want to pay per kilobyte you can sign up for a data plan. Cingular's media works plan covers unlimited GPRS data only. Their data plans which are currently on their website appear to only be avalible for their pc cards. But if you want unlimited EDGE service for a flat rate no matter what device you have (650,razor,pc card) you will pay $79.99
    Ummm dude, are you saying that I am getting charged for using edge on my phone? I only have the media works package, but I have a SE z500a. That phone is edge enabled and I don't think I am going to get charged extra for sending e-mail and photos.
    Now how in the hell am I supposed to disable edge on my ericsson? Same with the treo? Are we going to have "Shadowmite" write a patch for all of us GSMers because we can't use edge? Come on man. I understand what you are trying to say but the words are not comming out that way. YES if you do more then just basic web browsing and e-mail on the treo (or any other EDGE capable phone) you will get charged. I really don't see anyone using the treo to download music from i-tunes so all is going to be alright.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast