Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evildead
    but there is no way you can get MW on the 650 unless you have a clueless sales person or you trick them. Cingular in fact told Treocentral that they would like them not to sell the 19.99 plan with the 600 even.
    Well since I'm planning on getting the unlocked 650, this is not an issue. I have MW on my Motorola V620, so it'll carry over just fine when I swap the SIM into the 650.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by ST1R
    Media works IS NOT the same as EDGE service. Media works (AKA GPRS) speed is aproxamatly the same as dialup. EDGE service 79.99 a month is nearly as fast as DSL. There is huge difference in speed and price.
    Absolutely FALSE. EDGE hardware and infrastructure don't give a hoot what your plan is. If you have EDGE hardware accessing data on an EDGE network, you get EDGE throughput.

Nothing personal, ST1R, but this is an old, dead, beaten horse. Unless something has changed very recently, I'm absolutely 100% confident in this assertion.

Todd/Indy
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    Absolutely FALSE. EDGE hardware and infrastructure don't give a hoot what your plan is. If you have EDGE hardware accessing data on an EDGE network, you get EDGE throughput.

Nothing personal, ST1R, but this is an old, dead, beaten horse. Unless something has changed very recently, I'm absolutely 100% confident in this assertion.

Todd/Indy
    I agree with you tbhausen. I have MEdia Works and get EDGE speeds.
    However, dont you think that Cingular should be able to give EDGE or GPRS discriminately to users depending on their plan?
    Um, no--at least I hope not.

Todd/Indy
    St1r is correct, I talked to a cingular rep today and they told me that the unlimited
    data plan was indeed 79.99, and that does not include your voice plan you may want to get. Also said that does not include text messages or media messages. And the official release is going to be Feb 3.
    I've read the AT&T 650 won't recognize a cingular sim, Does anyone know if a cingular 650 will recognize an AT&T sim? Or do we know if they can be unlocked yet?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    sugarman, you can talk to reps all day long and get different answers each time. The sad truth is that 50% of the prople on this forum know at least 2X as much as most reps. People who have the phone and are using it now are reporting access to EDGE networks (or at least EDGE speeds) with MW package. The reps either don't know or they don't want us to know. Either way, it seems that EDGE works if you have network availability - no matter what package you have. Hopefully that won't change as the 650s proliferate...
    Vince
    Cats out of the bag... it's on the front of the PalmOne site
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    let's not constantly mix 'EDGE' topics with 'Treo 650 is out' topics.

so what now we gotta keep reloading the cingular's page until their server goes down?

why don't they just say, "7 hours and 45minutes left until you can purchase" ...lol
    Treo 650
    Treo 600
    Cingular
    MediaWorks
    I've gotten pretty far along with the purchase process on the PalmOne site twice now and both times the $19.99/mo Unlimited MEdia Works package was available as an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarman702
    St1r is correct, I talked to a cingular rep today and they told me that the unlimited
    data plan was indeed 79.99, and that does not include your voice plan you may want to get. Also said that does not include text messages or media messages. And the official release is going to be Feb 3.
    This is what I've learned as well, Sugarman and St1r. MW will run Edge for Edge-enabled *phones*. The problem for 650 or SX66 users is that Cingular will not sell (or no longer sell) the MW package for these communicator devices -they want $45 bucks for unlimited data, or $30 for 10 MB. These are Edge rates for what they consider data-intensive devices (Note that the SX66 is not even Edge-enabled). There are a lot of claims or theories about MW on these forums, but none that I know of are from actual owners of either of these devices. I saw a rep's book in one of the stores 2 weeks ago and the page for the SX had a big-font alert saying that MW was not available for this device. Caveat emptor.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregory17
    I've gotten pretty far along with the purchase process on the PalmOne site twice now and both times the $19.99/mo Unlimited MEdia Works package was available as an option.
    I just went to palmone website also and the treo650 on cingular shows up like you stated and every plan has the 19.99 date plan attached to it.

as i kept going forward to see how far i could get a page said that current ATT Wireless phone numbers could not be transfered

I clicked yes anyways to transfter and then a page came to check with cingular if my number was available for transfer and i put the info required and then the cingular page just bombs out and can't find the page that its looking for.

Will see what happens tomorrow.

Also i saw the following link for when items will shipped.
    http://web.palmone.com/support/speci...ping_msg.jhtml
    they have listed the unlocked treo650.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregory17
    yes it's awesome, great news
    I am very sure of my previous assertions, if you are not paying less than $79.99 for data service, regaurdless of what cingular's retarded reps tell you, you do not have unlimited EDGE service. If you are currently paying $19.99 for media works and are seeing EDGE service speeds then you are going to be charged per kilobyte transfered.

Let me put it like this:
    GPRS = 60kbps downstream 15kbps upstream
    EDGE = 300kbps downstream 75kbps upstream

If you have a phone with GPRS and EDGE ie the treo you can get GPRS or EDGE service without a data plan, but you will pay per kilobyte of transfer. If you don't want to pay per kilobyte you can sign up for a data plan. Cingular's media works plan covers unlimited GPRS data only. Their data plans which are currently on their website appear to only be avalible for their pc cards. But if you want unlimited EDGE service for a flat rate no matter what device you have (650,razor,pc card) you will pay $79.99
    if you go to the cingular website and go thru the process of buying a phone; you will see that they dont offer the media works pakage no more for pda phones
    st1r thats the same thing they told me today, and it wasnt a regular rep it was the bsb reps 800-429-7222
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ST1R
    I am very sure of my previous assertions, if you are not paying less than $79.99 for data service, regaurdless of what cingular's retarded reps tell you, you do not have unlimited EDGE service. If you are currently paying $19.99 for media works and are seeing EDGE service speeds then you are going to be charged per kilobyte transfered.
    I have been actively using MediaWorks with EDGE right now (300mb/mo) and have NEVER been charged per kilobyte. Plenty of others on howardforums.com have had the same experience.
    Let me put it like this:
    GPRS = 60kbps downstream 15kbps upstream
    EDGE = 300kbps downstream 75kbps upstream
    These are THEORETICAL rates... you will never reach these speeds in the real world.
    Follow the links yourselves: http://www.cingular.com/treo650, then let's wait to hear from some actual owners. Not that speculating, guessing and arguing isn't a lot of fun! ;-)
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    I used to work for cingular I know these things. I quit working there because I could not stand the ignorance of my co-workers. If you want proof of just how uninformed cingular sales reps are, take a close look at your service contract. It states in the contract that cingular is not required to honor anything a sales rep tells you. This means a cingular rep could sell you a motorola v60 under the pretense that it records video and plays mp3's but you would still be locked into your service plan even though the sales rep lied.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast