Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I've been a happy owner of a Treo 600 with VersaMail 2.5 for over a year now. I have a client who just bought 5 Treo 650s, and had me come in to set them up. If you have a 600, and rely on VersaMail for your email, you might want to know the following:

1. It is excruciatingly slow. I have both my T600 and a T650 set up to IMAP my mail. I have about 560 messages in my inbox right now (packrat). Both devices have all of the inbox loaded on them now and are trying to "get" only new mail. If I choose "Get Mail/Get" (2.5/3.0 commands) on the two devices, I can "get" my mail 6 times on the Treo 600 in the time it takes the T650 to go through the "Checking for New Messages" process.

2. Mail deleted on the device no longer deletes on the master mailbox. This was one of the MANDATORY features of an IMAP client for me and my clients.

3. Switching IMAP "servers" on the device causes all new mail to be downloaded again and duplicated on the Treo. This does NOT happen on version 2.5. I have about 6 different IMAP servers set up at my office, and I routinely change between them to check various functionality. The 2.5 version is smart enough to just ask the server for the "next" information, unless the email address changes for the download.

Yuck!

If VersaMail is your email client of choice on a Treo 600 because it behaves differently than version 3.0 above, I'd think seriously about alternative ways to handle your email before upgrading

D
    I use snapper on the 600--really love it. Can you delete VersaMail from the 650, and if so, what loss of integration is suffered by not using the default e-mail client?

TIA,
    Todd/Indy
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danitaz
    2. Mail deleted on the device no longer deletes on the master mailbox. This was one of the MANDATORY features of an IMAP client for me and my clients.
    After playing with this a bit I have found the following crucial difference between VM 2.5 and VM 3.0:

In VM 2.5 if you have the program set to "Auto-Empty Mail from Trash: Immediately" and choose to delete from the handheld and the master when you actually delete the message, this message will be deleted from the master at the next "sync". However, if it is set this way in VM 3.0 the message does not seem to get deleted. Thus, in VM 3.0 in order to get email to delete on the master, you must change this to "After 1 day" and choose "Empty Trash" if you wish to update the master sooner than 1 day. I actually haven't been able to check yet to see if the "auto-empty" will even work after 1 day - working on that now. So, in other words, in order to delete from the master you must tell VM to do it twice. Once when you delete the individual message, and then again when you empty trash <sigh>.

D.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    I use snapper on the 600--really love it. Can you delete VersaMail from the 650, and if so, what loss of integration is suffered by not using the default e-mail client?

TIA,
    Todd/Indy
    After I finally figured out that VM 3.0 works differently than VM 2.5, it seems that the "delete on master" is similar on SnapperMail - i.e., it doesn't delete until you "empty the trash" so to speak, and then you are asked to delete it on the master. While this is annoying (more steps than I'm accustommed to <g>) it could be dealt with.

The other thing that SnapperMail lacks is the ability to change the "Sent" folder name. I run into various email systems out there whose "Sent" folder is not named "Sent" - VersaMail and other programs allow a user to designate the Sent folder name.

I've just downloaded the trial again to see the one last thing that is critical for my customers, and that is being able to move items to folders on the Treo and have them move on the Master. Unfortunately, the trial version does not allow me to add new folders, so I'm not sure whether this would work. Do you know if moving a message to a folder in IMAP on SnapperMail does indeed move it on the master?

Finally, the last thing that is really lacking on Snappermail is the "autocomplete" of addresses from the contacts list. That is perhaps one of the nicest features of VersaMail - just typing in the name and having a list of possible recipients listed for you.

Oh well - I guess none of them will do everything <g>.

D
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danitaz
    The other thing that SnapperMail lacks is the ability to change the "Sent" folder name. I run into various email systems out there whose "Sent" folder is not named "Sent" - VersaMail and other programs allow a user to designate the Sent folder name.
    Oh - wait - I see that this isn't what I thought in Snapper - it doesn't have the option to update the master mailbox with sent items other than bcc'ing yourself on each message - a really good IMAP program should do this.

D