1.    #1  
    Hey all:

I would like to know what it is like to surf the web on the visor. What there any major differences between surfing on your PC and on your visor. Can you do everything you do on your pc on the visor when searching the web (banking etc)? Looking forward to your replies.
    i travel alot, and have been happily using my handspring modem, so this is what i have to offer:

the biggest differences twixt handheld and pc are, of course, size and color.

size becomes a real issue with graphics, as many images are scaled down so far it's impossible to make them out, this becomes even worse when the image has text involved.

browser options:
    the avantgo built in browser scales pages down without compromising the integrity of placement, by which i mean, you have to scroll left, right, up, and down to see an entire page.
    proxiweb does a good job of putting everything in an up/down only scrollable format, but obviously this messes with the integrity of some of the better designed sites. but - if you're surfing from your visor, you already know what's what out ther in netland, and it shouldn't be that big a deal.

as for banking... so far as i know, can't be done. simply because the security isn't high enough. most online banks require 128 bit encryption from a browser, and the higest you can get on a handheld is proxiweb's 40 bit. so, that's a downside.

and if you're used to ie's extra/attached search window thingie, that's out too.

so, to sum up: proxiweb is the better browser, (and it's free!) but your capacity to surf is limited by encription, color and size of images.

hope this helps.

matty.
    Originally posted by matty:
    i travel alot, and have been happily using my handspring modem

so, to sum up: proxiweb is the better browser, (and it's free!) but your capacity to surf is limited by encription, color and size of images.

hope this helps.

matty.

Hey Matty, you said that you travel a lot and you browse the Internet and things like that. But where do you hook up your modem? Do you do it only in Hotels or tell me how you do it when you are walking down the streets and you want to check your e-mail? Also tell me what kind of modem you use?

There is a Palm module at www.pocketmail.com which let you check e-mail from any kind of phone around the world just by dailing a 1-800 number. However it's not available for Visor yet.

Thanks,

Al
    al:

first things first:

i use the only modem available (at this point) which is handspring's own modem module. 36.6kbps land line. so i plug it into a phone jack...

i'm an actor, so almost always when i travel i'm in provided cast housing with a regular phone jack wired for local calls.

wireless internet connection is not yet an option for visor owners, unless you have an ir capable cell phone - see a similar thread in the springboard modules section: http://discussion.visorcentral.com/F...ML/000345.html
    but i'm sure they're working on it... and certainly when the sixpak comes out there will be the option of connecting to your cell then. i know i'm holding out for the actual cell phone module which i imagine will have internet capability.

so that's how i do it. i rarely have the need or desire to check my email walking down the street - probably related to the reason i'm possibly the only person on this bbs without a cell phone of my very own - so that answers that question. although that thing you mentioned does sound pretty cool

hope it helps...

matty

[This message has been edited by matty (edited 04-23-2000).]
    i also do some travelling and there are appropriate payphones in airports where you can hook up ....

the airline 'club' rooms are perfect for hooking up to the net aswell.

Anywhere there's a phone jack really.

I use proxinet and proximail. They're free and proxinet does a good job with most websites (as matty explained above).

Proximail is a good simple FREE program that allows you to have up to 5 'accounts'. I have 3 email address (Work, personal, and a third i use for sites such as this ) so i have an account set up for each and with the last 2 i have settings set up for cities i frequently visit for my personal and 3rd email address (work is an 800 number).

The neat thing (although limiting aswell with 3 accounts) is that Proximail uses your built in Mail app. So there's no need to download another mail program. but with 3 accounts you have to be aware as all your mail ends up in the same Inbox.

Hope that helps.