1.    #1  
    I currently have a Sony Clie peg-ux50 (clamshell, bluetooth, wifi) and I am strongly considering switching to the Treo 650. I know I'll be losing the wifi, but i'm tired of carrying the clie and my cell.

1) Using Missing Sync, will all of my contacts be loaded onto my Treo during the first sync?

2) I spoke to a friend about the Treo 600 he owned and he complained about his screen going out all of the time (replaced it 3 times and eventually got rid of it). Has this problem been rectified on the 650?

3) Also, does anyone know when Tiger OS is supposed to come out?

Thank you so much for your help!
    1) don't use mac, so can't answer that question

2) I have never had or heard of this problem. It's not an issue, the screen on the 650 is gorgeous...

3) NA

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    1) Yes. Missing Sync should load all of your contact on initial sync

2) Your friend's unit may have been an anomaly (lol, that sounds funny)

3) July

G, how you doing dude?
    Be very careful with this transition - I switched to the treo 650 from the UX50 (which was a total POS - about 3 major things went wrong in 9 months of use). Anyway, when I tried to switch over with my mac and missing sync - I had major issues, the treo wouldn't complete the sync and it kept crashing. There's a lot of clie-specific programs that don't do well on a treo. Out of despiration I deleted missing sync and moved the programs I needed over by hand (definately was able to trim down on the megabites with that). So the answer is that it's not easy moving to the treo from the clie...

Hope this helps.
    gapboy:

I second Iomli's advice. You'll probably find significant incompatibilities between some of your clie apps and the 650. Here's what I did when I upgraded to the 650, and everything went very smoothly:

Using your existing Palm desktop, export your calendar, contacts, tasks and memos to external files.

Rename your clie backup file, or make a copy of it somewhere else.

Uninstall your existing Palm Desktop and hotsync software.

Rename the directory your clie Palm desktop was installed to.

Install your new Palm desktop from the 650. Create new categories to match the categories you have defined in your clie (in a really dumb oversite, the Palm desktop doesn't export categories).

Import your contacts, etc. into Palm Desktop, and hotsync.

Now you've got your core data on the Treo. From here, you can start installing your apps. But don't try to restore them from the backup directory all at once. Instead, download the most recent versions of all your apps from the web, and install them one by one. Test each app before installing the next. You'll find some of them aren't compatible. Delete them before proceeding.

Almost everyone who tried to restore from the backup directory of their previous palm device, even the treo 600, ended up with many stability issues.

HTH,

Bob
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks so much for all of your help. I'm a bit trepidatious about spending $600 on this convergence (I love my clie, especially the voice recorder which is not incuded on the 650...I really just need a new cellphone, but if I can make the 2 into 1...). Since the transition is so sticky, I might (be able to) hold out until Sprint merges with Nextel and see what comes of that.
    What do you guys think? Or is the 650 worth it?

Again, thanks for your invaluable wisdom in regards to this matter.
    Apple has said from day one that Mac OS X Tiger (10.4) will be out in the first half of 2005. That means anywhere between January 1 and June 30, 2005. But my educated guess puts it at April 18, 2005.

Apple has proclaimed this as the year of HD and you better believe they will have an incredible presence at NAB this year. It is pretty much a given that Apple's flagship video app, Final Cut Pro, will have an updated release at this show. That means QuickTime 7 will be released as well. QT 7 has strong ties to Tiger and all of its applications.

Yep, Tiger will be released April 18, 2005. You heard it here first.
    ...or June 30th.
    4/18/05 would be great! but WWDC starts 6/28/05 that's my prediction. Still a little buggy from what I saw at MacWorld, and that was Steve's version.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Yeah, you're probably right. I am just getting anxious.
    Is it worth it? For me, absolutely. I was really tired of carrying two separate devices, which meant the phone was always on my belt, the Clie in my pocket. Now the Treo is in my pocket, and my belt is clear. Much less geaky looking.

Aside from that, I find the integration to be very valuable. Trying to juggle the clie and a cell phone when looking up a number and making a call is not an issue any more. One integrated phone # / address book instead of two. Integrated web / email on a good size screen.

I'm very glad I went the treo route.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    4/18/05 would be great! but WWDC starts 6/28/05 that's my prediction.
    Maybe they will release a different version at each event. One for the Mac platform in April and one for a Sony CELL station in June at the World Wide Developers Conference.

Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    Still a little buggy from what I saw at MacWorld, and that was Steve's version.
    When I first saw that at Macworld, I have to admit, my heart dropped. But then when I watched the QT stream it didn't seam like anything really happened. I think it was actually scripted and his joke he made was a jab at Microsoft. I mean crimeny, he just made it out to the stage and sat down and the thing crashes??? This technology he was about to demonstrate when the machine supposedly crashed has been in development for a good 4 years. The Mac OS X kernel and FreeBSD has 30 years behind it. Tiger has been publicly demoed more than 5 times over the course of a year. This thing is ready.

Maybe we should all be considering a switch back to Sony CELL hardware in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Apple has said from day one that Mac OS X Tiger (10.4) will be out in the first half of 2005. That means anywhere between January 1 and June 30, 2005. But my educated guess puts it at April 18, 2005.

Apple has proclaimed this as the year of HD and you better believe they will have an incredible presence at NAB this year. It is pretty much a given that Apple's flagship video app, Final Cut Pro, will have an updated release at this show. That means QuickTime 7 will be released as well. QT 7 has strong ties to Tiger and all of its applications.

Yep, Tiger will be released April 18, 2005. You heard it here first.
    Apple just declared their latest build of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger as a Golden Master. I should be right on in my guess, if not off by just a day or two.