1.    #1  
    The latest version of BCPE for Palm includes Calendar functionality. All well and good. But I'm running into an issue and it's really ... well, pissing me off.

First, I'm using my workstation to provide the necessary BC service, and it just so happens it's my main workstation, which is where I sync my Outlook with my Treo 650.

As near as I can tell, since BCPE requires its own conduits for mail and calendar, it prevents HotSync from synching calendar "files", locking it to "Do not sync". If I try to change it to "Synchronize the files" and choose "Set as default", HotSync crashes. Near as I know, no other third party conduits are installed, and at least once my Treo 650 synched it's calendar.

This would not be an issue with the BCPE providing calendar functionality, except:

1. The BCPE Calendar does not allow you to add new appointments. I found confirmation of this on a Sprint web page (don't ask me where exactly) and it suggested that that functionality would be available in 2005. Fine. That I think I can accept, for the time being.

2. HOWEVER, functionality I'm sure many of us need are alarms for our coming appointments. With the regular Treo 650 calendar app not synching (either way), appointments only show up in the BCPE calendar, and it does not trigger alarms.

Anyone know where I can fire off an email to Sprint to let them know just how ... LAME this situation is? I can get calendar items I add to the Treo's regular calendar to sync with a Mac laptop I have, but it doesn't do me any good as those items don't go into my Exchange calendar. And really, I'm only synching with the Mac for the novelty of it (via bluetooth) right now.

If someone who bothers to read this site has this same exact situation but working, could you review your settings and let me know where I might have screwed up?
    Last edited by Cerebus; 02/01/2005 at 09:52 AM.
    The developer of the software is actually a company called Seven. (http://www.serven.com)

You may want to look around on the seven website and see if you can join the beta program.

Complaining to Sprint about this probably wont work for you very well.
    the web site is www.seven.com not serven
    Treoing & Loving it
  4.    #4  
    Actually since my work's Exchange server supports IMAP (thank God), and I've gotten *that* to work with VersaMail (as we're apparently not supporting ActiveSync), I'll be using that instead of Business Connect. Now I just have to blow away all the registry and files (after doing an uninstall) for both Business Connect and the HotSync manager and reinstall just the HotSync Manager.

Now that I think about it, this may actually be versamail's fault, since that messed with my calendar too ... hmmmmmmmmmm ...
  5.    #5  
    VersaMail's Exchange sync via Microsoft ActiveSync for Exchange was the true culprit. Since my place of employment is apparently not supporting it, that wasn't working. But I hadn't unconfigured it.

With VersaMail not doing any Exchange based email/calendar, I can now safely set HotSync to sync my calendar.

NOTE: I WAS WRONG. BUSINESS CONNECTION PERSONAL EDITION did not interfere with the syncing - it was VersaMail's configuration.

Now I'm going to have like two days of telling people who email me from two or three different companies that "I was wrong, I'm sorry, I'll try not to do it again."
    Was that crow boiled or BBQ'd. Just kidding.

It's good you figured this out as I am about 99.9% sure that BCPE places no restrictions or does not make any changes to the HotSync side as it remains independent through wireless syncs only (Calander and Email).

As for the features the BCPE is only a one way view of the Calendar and the accpet / decline capabilities for meetings. This has been discussed in a number of other threads and there are no alarms as you indicated. One would think that the next major release would probably move to 2-way hopefully as other companies have gone down the route of 1 way first. I still use it all the time even with one way just so I have an up to date view of what's in Outlook. It sounds like you figured out Versamail though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerebus
    VersaMail's Exchange sync via Microsoft ActiveSync for Exchange was the true culprit. Since my place of employment is apparently not supporting it, that wasn't working. But I hadn't unconfigured it.

With VersaMail not doing any Exchange based email/calendar, I can now safely set HotSync to sync my calendar.

NOTE: I WAS WRONG. BUSINESS CONNECTION PERSONAL EDITION did not interfere with the syncing - it was VersaMail's configuration.

Now I'm going to have like two days of telling people who email me from two or three different companies that "I was wrong, I'm sorry, I'll try not to do it again."