1.    #1  
    Can anyone help me figure out the software limitation for TomTom. My bt tomtom nav 2004 is in the mail and I can't figure out what the software limitation is all about:

I've heard that we can download/activate the TomTom software twice only. What I'm wondering is if I switch sd cards, would that use up my 2 tries with the software? Right now I have a 128mb sd card and will be getting a new one in the next few weeks. I'm just a bit concerned if I will use up my 2 tries by switching sd cards. (I know one option is to download direct to pda, but since there's minimal internal memory I've heard it's best to download to sd card).

Or is there no limitation on the sd cards, just different pda's? Can anyone who's familiar w/tomtom please clarify....

I've started a field sales job and need the gps asap, but am concerned that I'm scr--wing myself my installing it on a tiny 128mb card right now. I need to hold off for a few more weeks till the 2gb card is available. Please advise.

Thank You!
    By default, the TomTom s/w is installed onto the Treo. Only the maps are installed on the SD card. Therefore, you can switch out and install the maps on as many SD cards as you'd like.

If you were to install the TomTom s/w on another Treo/PDA, that would count against the 2-install limit.

Hope that helps.
    I would not bother with 128MB SD cards for holding detailed maps. Depending on where you travel, if you want most US maps you'll need at least two 1GB cards(one 2 GB card).

As for software download/activate it has nothing to do with how often you load maps unto your SD card; only the installation of the software and upgrade, as belerek said.
    I did the same thing with Garmin IQue3600 MapSource, and I can load maps on SD cards as often as I please.
    I see the real prob for those who will have to go thru numerous treos because of P1 treo failure rate. heck..i went thr 4 600's.
    I too bought TomTom and awaiting its arrival. However, it's my understanding that replacing the underlying eqiupment would not cause any issues for as long as your HotSync ID remained the same.

They just want to make sure you don't put it on more than two different devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    I too bought TomTom and awaiting its arrival. However, it's my understanding that replacing the underlying eqiupment would not cause any issues for as long as your HotSync ID remained the same.

They just want to make sure you don't put it on more than two different devices.
    I don't think TomTom's registration is hotsync name based. Each of the two times I had to activate, I had visited TomTom reg site to get an equipment specific key. Hopefully my 650 does't break, otherwise I wil have to buy the software again.
    Right, software registration is not tied to your hotsync.

Map loading on SD cards goes through hotsynch, but usually requires a utility, with Garmin it's called Map Install. After you've selected the maps you want, these maps go into QuickInstall of the Palm Desktop and get hotsynched to your Treo. But this has nothing to do with software reinstallation or registrastion.

In case of "Treo killers" who exchange 4 Treo's per year to be happy, like Johnski, you can still usually get a pass (modified unlock code) from the software maker if you exceed the number of times they allow. That lock is simply to protect the software company from software pirates. It is not to punish honest users who need to reinstall the software for any reason.

Check with TomTom to confirm this. My experience is based on a similar product from Garmin.
    Yeah, I heard you can contact TomTom and ask for additional registration codes. I'm really hoping this is the case since I plan to load in Shadowmite's ROM, which requires a hard reset. I plan to ask them about this, but has anyone done this and can confirm? Thanks.
  9.    #9  
    so the software is downloaded onto the pda??? I thought people were downloading the software onto the sd cards....... how about other users out there...?

Also when choosing maps, can you choose a few to download and then go back and download more? Or do you just choose them all? Again I'm asking because it looks like I'm only going to have 128mb for the next few weeks.
    You install the software (program) on the PDA and the maps on SD card(s).

You can choose as much or as little of the maps as you want. I loaded three states that I frequently travel to, and my home state, on one 512 mb card

With your 128 mb SD you maybe able to fit 2 states, or several cities that you choose. They don't have to be contiguous.
  11.    #11  
    regarding maps- can you choose your cities/states and then go back at another date and choose more states? Or is it a one shot deal??
    Yes, you can, and please note there maybe variations in the different software packages, but with MapSource the maps I highlight remain selected the next time around, so I have a chance to add to existing ones, or delete from them. This selection is done in MapInstallon on the the desktop. When you're done they're already loaded into QuickInstall of the Palm Desktop ready to hotsync.
    Quote Originally Posted by keswick
    regarding maps- can you choose your cities/states and then go back at another date and choose more states? Or is it a one shot deal??
    Maps are broken down by individual states, regions, and major roads of the USA. For instance, I have my home state map and a regional New England map on the SD card as well. I just choose "switch map" when I want to view a smaller or larger map at any time. You then can navigate a route within that map. For instance, if I'm travelling out of state, I just choose the map that covers that region from the sd card, and navigate from there.

It's not a one shot deal. I can load another map at any time.
  14.    #14  
    thanks so much everyone!
    Regarding maps:

1. If you have two contiguous states loaded, can you plan a route between a point in one state and one in the other state? Does TomTom automatically switch maps over when the next state is reached or do you have to manually change/load the map?

2. I understand that the major roads of the USA map is less detailed. What about the regional maps: are they less detailed than the individual state maps?
    1. If you're going to plan a multi-state route, you can load one of the regional maps. There are different regional maps, which is really helpful, i.e. a New England map, and a combined NewEngland, NJ and NY map. However, sometimes your trip will require two maps because you're travelling in an area that is not in one enclosed region. It means you would have to route to the edge of one map, switch maps, and then route from that point to your destination. Of course, you could always use the major roads of the USA so you don't have to change maps, but then you lose the local roads.

2. I have checked local roads on state and regional maps, and the all the roads have matched. I would say with near certainty that the regional maps are identical in detail.
    Quote Originally Posted by belerek
    Yeah, I heard you can contact TomTom and ask for additional registration codes. I'm really hoping this is the case since I plan to load in Shadowmite's ROM, which requires a hard reset. I plan to ask them about this, but has anyone done this and can confirm? Thanks.
    I used Shadowmite's custom tool to take out useless programs from ROM and replaced them with some of my favorites like PowerOne Calculator, KB Lights Off, Notepad, and snapCalc5. I tried to stuff more in but ran out of space.

After hotsyncing from the PC, everything came back. I didn't have to re-enter the reg code for TomTom. I did however had to re-paired the bluetooth with my GPS receiver as that relationship somehow got lost.