1.    #1  
    I was so excited to finally get my Treo 650 last month, but I can't get anything useful to work with Bluetooth (using OSX on a G5). Salling Clicker.. neat, but I really don't want to use my phone to control iTunes.

I can't find any cool programs (like BluePhone Elite -- would be great if it worked with the 650).

Syncing via bluetooth is so slow there's no real advantage. I can't make/receive calls via bluetooth... I could get a bluetooth headset, but I don't think looking like a dorky Lt. Uhura is worth it right now. If I could just have my computer notify me of incoming calls via bluetooth I'd be impressed... No one has bt printers yet...

Someone throw me a rope here!

Thanks - Paul
    Last edited by paulhorne; 02/01/2005 at 07:49 AM.
    Well - there is no pleasing you is there :P

I too found the saling Clicker stuff disappointing. It would be nice to get all those cool features like Caller ID and computer locking...

Did you buy the thing just for the bluetooth?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by larry91403

Did you buy the thing just for the bluetooth?
    No, but it's touted as such a major feature... besides the screen rez, which is great, I'm not sure how this phone is that much better than the 600... or the 300 for that matter. And having just returned from Paris, I sorely missed the ability to use it over there -- maybe I should be looking for a GSM solution...)
    HP Does. I know one of their their multi-function printers do, haven't checked any others. The main reason people use BT on cellphones is for the headsets and handsfree car kits (other then us geeks of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhorne
    No one has bt printers yet...Thanks - Paul
  5.    #5  
    I realize BT printers EXIST, I meant that they aren't exactly ubiquitous and again, I can't see the advantage yet in investing in one when Wi-Fi shared printers are so common.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I was so excited to finally get my Treo 650 last month, but I can't get anything useful to work with Bluetooth (using OSX on a G5). Salling Clicker.. neat, but I really don't want to use my phone to control iTunes.

I can't find any cool programs (like BluePhone Elite -- would be great if it worked with the 650).

Syncing via bluetooth is so slow there's no real advantage. I can't make/receive calls via bluetooth... I could get a bluetooth headset, but I don't think looking like a dorky Lt. Uhura is worth it right now. If I could just have my computer notify me of incoming calls via bluetooth I'd be impressed... No one has bt printers yet...

Someone throw me a rope here!

Thanks - Paul
    Why did you get the 650, then? What did you expect to do with it? Did you read you could do certain things that you can't do now??

I think the bluetooth headset is a major draw, but since you feel the look of the earpiece is more important than the function, then you lose out on that feature.

And, really, to say this phone is not much better than the 300.. um..... no.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Salling Clicker is one of the best reasons for Bluetooth on a Palm PDA. I have a Mac and use Airport Extreme/Express to stream my iTunes libary to my stereo, in the other room. Now I can sit in the other room and use Salling Clicker to control my stereo. Before I'd have to keep walking back and forth to change music I wanted to listen to. I'm lovin it!

I know what you mean about slow Bluetooth Hotsyncs, but it better than having to carry a cable around with you all the time or in case you forget the cable when travelling. That may sound dumb to some peole because of all of those little rollup cables these days, but it's still nice.

I have a 2004 Acura TL, so a Bluetooth phone that works with the car is a requirement for me. If you don't know, the Bluetooth system lets me use the car's stereo for phone calls. There's also a mic built into the cabin for speakerphone and full handsfree capability. The Treo 650 doesn't show battery life or signal strength like I wish it would, maybe Palm is working on that, but it's still awesome.

Lastly, Bluetooth headsets are great! No more lugging around that stupid wired headset that always gets tangled up and takes too long to plug in and use. I'm not the kind of person that keeps it plugged in all the time. Some of the newer headsets coming out have different ringtones built into them and even a little screen for Caller ID!

There are so many reasons to love Bluetooth!

Joe
    My main use for bluetooth is for the bluetooth GPS receiver. It enables me to place 650 anywhere in the car and still be able to track GPS without wires. I really don't care about the bluetooth headsets. The 2 drawbacks of the headset are subpar sound quality and battery charging. I'm actually getting rid of the bluetooth headset.

But for the GPS use, bluetooth rocks.
    How about internet over bluetooth? I know you have a G5, but if you ever get (or have...) an iBook or Powerbook (or even if you have a PC laptop) you can connect to the internet using bluetooth on your 650...

Matt
    Sorry .. I thought you said "no one has bt printers yet ..."
    I realize BT printers EXIST, I meant that they aren't exactly ubiquitous and again, I can't see the advantage yet in investing in one when Wi-Fi shared printers are so common.
    I have a bt gps, it works great. My Headset works good when I am away from wifi networks.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTreo600
    How about internet over bluetooth? I know you have a G5, but if you ever get (or have...) an iBook or Powerbook (or even if you have a PC laptop) you can connect to the internet using bluetooth on your 650...

Matt
    Yeah, I have an iBook, but not sure what the advantage would be... I'm so rarely away from my home, office, or coffeehouse WiFi...

My main BT priority would be caller ID and SMS send/receive when I'm using my computer, but maybe I'll try one of the BT headsets for a thrill.
    Yeah, I have an iBook, but not sure what the advantage would be... I'm so rarely away from my home, office, or coffeehouse WiFi...
    So you have a notebook and don't think the bluetooth DUN is useful? Methinks you wasted your money on the phone. Hopefully you can still return it and get a freebee phone, it'll suit your need better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger
    I have a bt gps, it works great. My Headset works good when I am away from wifi networks.
    Which bluetooth gps device did you get? Do you use it with Mapopolis?
    I have the 16 Channel I.Trek, it seems to work pretty well. I couldnt receive satellite signal over 330mph, but that doesnt really matter. I have tried mapoplis, but I dont care for it. I might buy TomTom, the 3d display looks sweet. Mapoplis doesn't look that good. You can find more information in the bluetooth section.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger
    I have the 16 Channel I.Trek, it seems to work pretty well. I couldnt receive satellite signal over 330mph, but that doesnt really matter. I have tried mapoplis, but I dont care for it. I might buy TomTom, the 3d display looks sweet. Mapoplis doesn't look that good. You can find more information in the bluetooth section.
    Do you like the I.Trek? If you would be so kind, would you let me know if it works w/ TomTom (when/if you get it)? I was looking into getting the I.Trek & TomTom but had not seen anything about them working together. Thanks!!
    ooooh, look at the shiny Copper Treo 680