Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    you guys are crazy. the 650 does many things well but doesn' come close to being a replacement for an ipod. soon you'll be wanting to get rid of your portable dvd players and just watch movies on the treo
    An Ipod is a small laptop harddrive hooked up to an mp3 player in a cutesy shell.
    A Treo is a Power Tool for anyone that needs to do more than just listen to music, but you can listen to music with it too. {= )
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanguynn
    you guys are crazy. the 650 does many things well but doesn' come close to being a replacement for an ipod. soon you'll be wanting to get rid of your portable dvd players and just watch movies on the treo
    If you have quality headphones, I've found the audio quality on the Treo equivalent to the iPod or any other mp3 player. The only major advantage the iPod has is obviously storage, but I personally don't need to carry 40 GB of mp3's on me all the time...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    If you have quality headphones, I've found the audio quality on the Treo equivalent to the iPod or any other mp3 player. The only major advantage the iPod has is obviously storage, but I personally don't need to carry 40 GB of mp3's on me all the time...
    Note: Ipod users can even use their white little ear phone on the treo too, Treo is Ipod friendly. {= )
    For me it's a question of a multiuse device vs a single use device. Ipod does Mp3s better in the sense of its interface and storage at a reasonable price. But my treo with a 1 gig card (and 2 and 3 gig cards are coming soon..) holds about 18 hours of music. You know--that's enough. And it does so much more. I only have to carry one device. That's the key. Music quality is just fine. I'd never buy an ipod.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by markyoung04
    Actually, I have been running with my Pocket PC ipaq for months, using a secure belt clip with padding, place in your belt on small of back and I have never had an issue. I am now using my Treo 650 for the same purpose and love it. Gotta find a tighter fit case though...style is really not an issue since you are running .
    I had this same issue and bought a Ripoff Holster (CO-129 is the model, I believe - www.holster-depot.com)... My Flexi-skinned 650 fits into it well, even with the headset adaptor and a headset plugged in, and you can get it either with the clip or belt loop (the one I have), to attach it to a belt or strap. The screen faces the clip/loop, so would most likely be against your arm or belt giving it extra protection... and I don't answer the phone when working out. ;-)

My gym has a policy against camera phones, however, as long as they don't notice, I've found my Treo is perfect for use during workouts!
    I hate carry two devices. To me it's all about convience. The Treo with the 1gb card is great to me and sounds good also. I love carrying one device, I can't wait until the Treo can start my truck, pay for items when I'm out and store my c/c and drivers license so I can just carry one device for everything.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    I've got a 10g ipod, and if it were 30g I'd still not have enough room for all my music. I use it mainly in my car and in my office, or if I'm working from a cafe or something and want to mask out background noise. I've thought to use my treo for music, but (a) I dont want to bother converting from aac to something ptunes can handle (b) I dont want to have more than one sd card, there's not enought room left on it for an appreciable amount of music.

Having said that, the day will come when a decendant of my treo 600 will have good integrated multimedia apps, and a 10g sd card will cost $100. At that point, I wont see any great purpose in an iPod ... or, conversely, iPods will morph into iPhones and I wont see any point in having a treo

Finally, what I do use my treo for is podcasts - while it's a bit slow, pulling a 30 minute podcast is doable. And more of my favorite news outlets are putting their shows up as podcasts too.

And really finally, I'd like to see an ipod<->treo cable/conduit - I could definitely see pulling a hour or two's worth of music from my ipod onto my treo if I could do it on the fly. Plug the ipod and treo together, and then browse the ipod with the treo, marking songs for download ... now aint that an idea!

My 2c
    Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by massaloch
    I've got a 10g ipod, and if it were 30g I'd still not have enough room for all my music. I use it mainly in my car and in my office, or if I'm working from a cafe or something and want to mask out background noise. I've thought to use my treo for music, but (a) I dont want to bother converting from aac to something ptunes can handle (b) I dont want to have more than one sd card, there's not enought room left on it for an appreciable amount of music.
    Sounds like personal preference, but personally I like listening to DI.FM from my treo at cafes. I listen to the new songs that are out when I like what I hear I look at my treo and make a note of it. I also run a shoutcast server from my own house, so I can listen in to it whenever I want (and add new songs that I heard from D.I.). Again this is my personal preference. I have two sd cards and am waiting for a 3rd (1 GB) as to get rid of the need for multiple card swapping situations.

Having said that, the day will come when a decendant of my treo 600 will have good integrated multimedia apps, and a 10g sd card will cost $100. At that point, I wont see any great purpose in an iPod ... or, conversely, iPods will morph into iPhones and I wont see any point in having a treo
    Sounds like your asking for Ipod and Treo to merge into one unit without actually saying it. . . slick. {= )

Finally, what I do use my treo for is podcasts - while it's a bit slow, pulling a 30 minute podcast is doable. And more of my favorite news outlets are putting their shows up as podcasts too.

And really finally, I'd like to see an ipod<->treo cable/conduit - I could definitely see pulling a hour or two's worth of music from my ipod onto my treo if I could do it on the fly. Plug the ipod and treo together, and then browse the ipod with the treo, marking songs for download ... now aint that an idea!
    I dont see the point at the moment. Cardexport II and the Seido Hotsync cable is all you need for the Treo if you want to make it Really versatile. I dont see the need for interfacing with an overpriced mp3+laptop hard drive combo (that doesnt play movies). But please, enlighten me, im intrigued.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    I agree with all of the above. One thing they forgot to add though is with the Treo & Ocket Tunes you can play ogg files as well as mp3. Basically convert all you 128kb or higher mp3s to around 46kb ogg files & they sound exactly the same quality as 128kb!! It's amazing. Grab a 1G or 2G card & do the math!! You get 3 ogg songs for the space of one mp3 song.
    What app do u use to convert the audio?
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrasonoman
    What app do u use to convert the audio?

dbPowerAMP is a great conversion utility imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    If you have quality headphones, I've found the audio quality on the Treo equivalent to the iPod or any other mp3 player.
    I second that.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lolc
    I second that.
    Co-Sign

I had the Ipaq headphones and they sounded horrible. I thought it was the Treo until I got some panasonic earbud headphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blademonkey
    I dont see the point at the moment. Cardexport II and the Seido Hotsync cable is all you need for the Treo if you want to make it Really versatile. I dont see the need for interfacing with an overpriced mp3+laptop hard drive combo (that doesnt play movies). But please, enlighten me, im intrigued.
    My ipod is usually with me, either in my car, in my office, or in my backpack. It's rarely in my pocket anymore (well, its is now - working out of starbucks today). If I decide to take a hike later today, and want to listen to music, I'd just as soon have it on my treo so I dont have to have the ipod flopping around in my pocket, but for the considerable overhead of going home and transfering files from my PC to the iPod. What I wouldn't mind, though, is to plug the ipod and treo together, and from the treo browse and copy over enough music to last the hike or whatever.

What I REALLY want is an all-in-one handheld device with 50-100g of solid state storage, always-on broadband connectivity that doesn't interfere with incoming/outgoing calls, and which is seamlessly integrated with my personal computing/entertainment enviroment. That is, if, whiIe I'm out and about, I want to listen to some of my music, or watch a movie I own, I dont want to have to worry or even think about copying or carrying around what will end up being a multi-terabyte collection ... it should just be there when I want it. Better yet, let me just buy a lifetime licence to the my music and video so I dont have to store it anywhere and can just access it from the publisher when ever/where ever I am. Hey, I'll drop the handheld altogether and go for a set of Kulu neural nanonics instead.

Mark
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    One advantage is that you're not running down your Treo battery.
    I haven't noticed much battery drain. With the screen off, it seems to use almost no batter.

The whole point of the Treo for me is that I only have to carry around one thing. Oggs give me a dozen + CDs on a 512 with room left for other stuff.

I'm happy.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    can you convert your mp3 songs with a windows XP program and then play them with real player in your treo 650?
    My Rio Carbon is great. I love having a seperate device for music, and the thing is so darned small that I don't mind throwing it in my bag or suit jacket pocket. I also use a flash mp3 player for running.
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    I haven't noticed much battery drain. With the screen off, it seems to use almost no batter.

The whole point of the Treo for me is that I only have to carry around one thing. Oggs give me a dozen + CDs on a 512 with room left for other stuff.

I'm happy.
    That's the bottom line, ain't it? What works for you.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I can't hack the treo in the gym. Too heavy and distracting..

I've had a few iPods at this point, including the original one, which I sold to get the 10gb that came out a year later.

At this point, it's not about "carrying around so many devices". I fixed that by selling my Palm and phone and getting a treo.

My 10gb stays in my car (i'm on the road every day), and i bought an iPod shuffle for the gym (it's so light, I don't even notice it's there!)

I use the treo for my general phone and organizer. MP3 ringers and DVDs on plane rides are bonuses.

Anyway, I guess I have device(s), but they all have specific purposes and I'm never stuck carrying them all around.

I'm sorry but the audio from the treo is just not as good as the iPod IMO. Neither is the audio software.

I admire the folks that want to make their Treo everything, but I just have my other lifestyle niches better filled with other devices. I also have a 'real' digital camera too, for what it's worth, but I do find myself taking lots of shots and videos with the Treo. I think that may be where I compromise/consolidate the most. Unless you're a female with a purse, who finds it convenient to carry a digital camera around all the time?
    i just bought a shuffle yesterday for the gym and sports. It works well for what I need it to do.

The treo interface, adapter, weight, and fragility were a pain for exercise.
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast