Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Looking for recommendations from other who have tackled this issue. I have numerous programs with large datasets I need to store and run on the expansion card.

Looking for the most "seamless" & intuitive option as I have a "technology challenged" spouse which makes anything less that a seamless implementation a daunting prospect.

All comments/recommendations appreciated.
    Derrick
    ZLauncher will tackle this, although not all apps can be run from an SD card, some have to be in RAM.

You can find a demo of ZLauncher at www.palmgear.com.
    But for, "the most "seamless" & intuitive option as I have a "technology challenged" spouse which makes anything less that a seamless implementation a daunting prospect", I'd skip launchers and highly recommend PowerRun. Once set up after a few seconds, it will be seamless.

PowerRun
    ~'kito
    Dbarbour, don't be afraid of ZLauncher, it's very seamless. You install ZLauncher in RAM like you would any other application, then you install your additional applications like you normally would. Once that's done, "click and hold" the icon for the app you want to move to the card, select "Move to card", make sure the "Related Databases" option is checked, and you're done. You'll never be concerned where the app is located again.

The only caveat is that not all apps can be run from the card, but you'll find that out the first time you try to run it. Verichat, for example, must be in RAM.
    You can also use the Palm installer to install them on the card in the first place. That way you use a product supplied by Palm and you don't have to buy anything.

Tom
    True, but then you can only see the app's icon if you go to the card screen via the dropdown menu in the upper-righthand corner, right?

With PowerRun or a launcher, the icon can stay in your "Main", "All", etc., rather than hidden away on the card.
    ~'kito
    and if a program cant be run from the card, does either power run or z help you in moving it back?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The Palm Launcher will not, I think, move databases to the SD card, only the app itself. I use ZLauncher, and can't imagine how moving apps and databases to the card could be much easier, but I've never tried PowerRun.

I think you can get free trials of both, so try them and see which you like better.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Yes, with PowerRun you can easily move it to the card and back.
    ~'kito
    Just as you clicked on the app's icon to "Move to card", you can go to your card's view and click on the app's icon to "Move to RAM" if it won't run from your card. This will reverse the process and move everything back to RAM. It couldn't be easier.

I second meyerweb, I haven't used PowerRun either, but I can't imagine it being any easier to use than ZLauncher. In addition, there are hundreds of themes available so that you can customize the UI, and as far as a built-in file manager goes, ZLauncher's is top notch.

Personally, I'd prefer to not have to use ZLauncher or PowerRun to do these types of things, but you use what you need to.

You can get a demo of ZLauncher at www.palmgear.com or www.zztechs.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Just as you clicked on the app's icon to "Move to card", you can go to your card's view and click on the app's icon to "Move to RAM" if it won't run from your card. This will reverse the process and move everything back to RAM. It couldn't be easier.

I second meyerweb, I haven't used PowerRun either, but I can't imagine it being any easier to use than ZLauncher. In addition, there are hundreds of themes available so that you can customize the UI, and as far as a built-in file manager goes, ZLauncher's is top notch.

Personally, I'd prefer to not have to use ZLauncher or PowerRun to do these types of things, but you use what you need to.

You can get a demo of ZLauncher at www.palmgear.com or www.zztechs.com.

When openning Powerrun, it gives you a list of what is in the internal memory (default view). Highlight the application and on the bottom you have 3 options: Run, Move, and Delete. Click the Move button and thats it. To reverse it, just switch to External memory and do a Move again. The best thing about Powerrun is it only uses about 105Kb of memory. I think zlauncher uses 400k+. Can anybody clarify on that? You can also use Linkstart which is freeware. I've tried it but found it a bit slower than Powerrun. I've also installed PXAclocker Pro which speeds up the processing a bit.
    Last edited by aznmode; 02/01/2005 at 03:32 PM.
    I think zLauncher uses like 800+ it is a nice app but it is a beast. Exp. on the memory challenged Treo 650. For now may try power run + mcphling + Filez.. . though that starts creaping up to ?400K just for those three. Wish there was a zLauncher lite without all the fancy graphic options for about 250K
    Just downloaded powerRun and it couldn't be easier to use. I clicked on the app I wanted to move to the card and that was it.
    Then I updated the shortcuts from the internal memory using powerRun and all of the icons of the apps I move to the SD card appeard on the Palm Laucher.
    So far I've got 7 mb free on the internal memory and I've only moved my games.
    Give it a go. The trial is good for 30 days.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    There is also MSmount5 which lets you access palm app/Db's card as if they are on the DRAM of Palm device:

http://www.geocities.jp/tatsuonagama...t5/index-e.htm

This works very well with large databases that are required to reside in ram...

IMO, a mem manager apps like PowerRun/Zlauncher/TealAlias plus MsMount5 combe should work very well...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    so either powerrun or msmount5 is the solutions to 650's memory problem??
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    There is also MSmount5 which lets you access palm app/Db's card as if they are on the DRAM of Palm device:

http://www.geocities.jp/tatsuonagama...t5/index-e.htm

This works very well with large databases that are required to reside in ram...

IMO, a mem manager apps like PowerRun/Zlauncher/TealAlias plus MsMount5 combe should work very well...
    gfunkmagic, could you explain the benefits of using msmount5 if I have already used ZLauncher to move the apps that I can (I try all of them and move them back to RAM only if required by the applicaton)?

Does msmount5 work in the background and anytime you access an application off of the SD through ZLauncher it does it's thing? If I were ot install msmount5, should I move all my apps back to RAM and use msmount5 to move them to the SD card instead of ZLauncher?

Any information and clarification of my quesitons woudl be appreciated.
    Zlauncher rules. It moves all programs and datafiles to and from the card seamlessly. In the case that something goes wrong- like if a file has a different creator code and isnt automatically moving, you just throw it in the directory and it will.

I have 117 some programs running off card with 9 megs free space. Zlauncher is a beast- just don't use dumb memory hogging background pictures.

Also- Get the Docs to Go file mover from Dataviz and save like 3 megs of space in Ram!
    ive tried the demo of zlauncher and powerrun...and well basically i owned powerrun first...and imo it is much better than z launcher...z launcher is pretty...but i dont need that prettiness the font hacks will suit me fine
    but I heard someone saying that msmount5 is more efficient than powerrun,is that true?
    I have found that for some apps that need to be run in Ram that PowerRun is actually loading the app in ram as it is being used. Once you close the app, the memory in ram is released. You can tell this by looking at the apps and you will see two versions of the app. One with an * and the other regular. An example is Pocket Tunes. While you are playing mp3's, you will see two versions of the icon in the apps. Once you stop playing, there will be only 1 version. I have looked at the Info and it does appear to be loading ram with the app as needed. I have seen this with eWallet and FileMaker Mobile as well. That would tell me that more programs that need to run in ram may work with PowerRun.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast