Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    I highly doubt it's one in the same person. This seems to be a major "business" in the eastern block countries. I get at LEAST one PHISHING SCAM email every day from eBay or PayPal or from one of a dozen different banks and brokerages. Some of them are amazingly authentic looking and some are absolutely laughable. Yesterday I got 3. I actually answer them all with fake information.
    It may not be, but it sure looks like the same person. It's definitley the same MO every time and even the broken english is the same. I know that they always use an AOL email address. Don't know if it's the same one, but I do know that in past others have contacted the person and someone did say it was the same person who's pulled this at least twice in the past.

    Not that it matters on the other hand.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    I highly doubt it's one in the same person. This seems to be a major "business" in the eastern block countries. I get at LEAST one PHISHING SCAM email every day from eBay or PayPal or from one of a dozen different banks and brokerages. Some of them are amazingly authentic looking and some are absolutely laughable. Yesterday I got 3. I actually answer them all with fake information.
    Ed, if it's a US Bank let them know about it. They will try very hard to get the guy. I got a phish email from a bank in georgia (i'm in Wa state) and they were very happy when I told them, said they would agressively persue offender. Might be worth it to let them know.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  3. #23  
    the one i was talking to told me he has 3 other friends in on the business. they all claim they don't know each other, but i know it's bull****.
  4. #24  
    You are of course correct .... there is no system that can't be improved but OTOH there is no way to protect ourselves from our own greed and stupidity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    You definitely have a point about phishing. On the other I think could still review their system. For example ebay could ban the posting email addresses within body of ads - as an example. Legitimate sellers can be contacted through the internal channels and scammers can redirect inquires. (It's just one idea. If ebay took at look at their practices I'm sure they could better protect everyone. All systems can be improved.)


    And you're absolutely correct, it had warning signs all over it and the person who got scammed probably should have known better.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    You are of course correct .... there is no system that can't be improved but OTOH there is no way to protect ourselves from our own greed and stupidity.
    Agreed.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  6. #26  
    BTW when you catch one of these, in addition to reporting it to ebay, aslo contact the REAL owner of the seller ID by going through Ebay's messaging. That way the Real owner of the account knows they have been hijacked and can contact ebay as well. If enough people complain, they may work on tightening up their proceedures. Will never be fool-proof, but can be made better.
  7. #27  
    That's what I always do. In the 7 or 8 I've messaged I have never even received a "thanks" or even just an "OK" for letting them know. Maybe they think I'm one of the scammers.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    BTW when you catch one of these, in addition to reporting it to ebay, aslo contact the REAL owner of the seller ID by going through Ebay's messaging. That way the Real owner of the account knows they have been hijacked and can contact ebay as well. If enough people complain, they may work on tightening up their proceedures. Will never be fool-proof, but can be made better.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    What police? The Roumanian Militia? eBay will just laugh at you (and rightfully so) and reply with a form letter telling you to be careful. This one (and the others like it) should have been a no-brainer.
    I'd call the FBI fraud line (if there is such a thing..) probably not going to help much, but if you do nothing you know what is going to happen... Nothing.. at least if you make an effort something might happen. If nobody ever acts, these guys keep doing it..
    If you get the feds involved maybe they end up on interpol wanted lists...
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  9. #29  
    I've contacted the seller via the ebay email system and let him/her know about the scam, with a link to the page in question. I've done this a couple of times and never received a response... The pages were eventually taken down, however.
    Phishing will always work on someone. Have you ever gone to someone's house and their computer is overwhelmed with spyware because they say "Yes" to every popup that they see - "Would you like to install the special 'HotWeb' toolbar - YES." Most of the internet users out there are very gullible.
    However, if someone was asking for my password for ebay and it was coming up as password not valid when I know it is... I would be checking my ebay account frequently!
  10. #30  
    Ebay and Paypal are absolutely USELESS when it comes to getting anything back from a scam- Romania or not. Even when the Seller is Legit, and you have a problem good luck getting PAYPAL or EBAY to do squat. All their talk of buyer protection is bogus- I've lost money a few times with them, but that's the risk you take.

    NOTE: Anyone who is told to send money VIA WESTERN UNION <--- FORGET IT THIS IS A SCAM.

    A scammer may even go so far as to tell you to set up a "password" for the Western Union office in Romania. Theoretically, without the password he can't get your money. So when you are satisfied you tell him the pass and so on. Where this all breaks down is with the 2 Rubles/Hour clerk in Romania who gives up your money in two seconds flat for $$/drugs/his life. Good luck with that international court battle about how you never released your password.

    COMMON SENSE. IF ITS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT IS. SPEND ANOTHER $100 for a warranty you cheap %#&$' s!!!
  11. pmdied's Avatar
    Posts
    409 Posts
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    #31  
    Looks like someone is scamming the scammer:http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=69721&page=2
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
  12. #32  
    It's already been taken down.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdied
    Looks like someone is scamming the scammer:http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=69721&page=2
  13. #33  
    The FBI only deals with the USA (unless they're invited) and I'm sure they have better things to do then deal with eBay scams like put Martha Stewart in jail. . You'd have to call the RBI (Roumanian Bureau of Investigation). It's a lost cause unless you got a buddy with an AK-47 over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    I'd call the FBI fraud line (if there is such a thing..) probably not going to help much, but if you do nothing you know what is going to happen... Nothing.. at least if you make an effort something might happen. If nobody ever acts, these guys keep doing it..
    If you get the feds involved maybe they end up on interpol wanted lists...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions