Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i'll do it, I have some experience, BUT do not come back to me if things did not work as planned. My intentions are well, I will try my best, it should be a staright FWD job. PM me if you are interested.
    Treoing & Loving it
    We should start a new thread:

STICKY: UPDATE: HOW TO TURN YOUR TREO 650 INTO A PHONE!
    what bout these.... http://www.bluetake.com/products/BT420EX.htm I wonder if they operate in stereo when paired to a phone.
  4. sj3
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timsy
    Which particular adapter did you buy? I was looking through their web site and did not see it. Thanks.
    Since I work there, I decided to tackle this question. You're right; it was buried. Try searching the web site for 274-373 or 2740373 I think that's the item he was talking about.

sj
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sj3
    Since I work there, I decided to tackle this question. You're right; it was buried. Try searching the web site for 274-373 or 2740373 I think that's the item he was talking about.

sj
    That's it. It doesn't quite look like that, but that's it. Both times I bought one, I had to ask an employee for help because Radio Shack's adapters aren't labeled in metric. Pretty annoying.

http://www.damontech.net/274-373.jpg

As you can see it kind of bulges in the middle. I'm going to flatten my adapters out a bit with my rotary tool. The adapter fits poorly with the sync cable connected.
    Last edited by aldamon; 02/01/2005 at 08:08 AM.
    I'm not sure anyone wants to take the risk of getting paid $100 only tg shell out $600 if Sprint ever says the mod messed up your phone.

Maybe you can install a 2.5mm jack in your MP3 player and a 2.5mm plug on your headphones. (The 2.5mm jack should be smaller so you shouldn't have to worry about it fitting. Not sure about the other way around.)

-- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    if you're willing to spend 100 on that jack, just buy a pair of $100 headphones and solder the 2.5mm jack on there. and you won't fvck up your treo. it's not like it's an awesome mp3 player anyway you don't need the fidelity from you ER-4Ss. seriously what you are proposing is ludicrous there are so many better options.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I have been dealing with this issue since I bought an iPAQ w/ the smaller jack a few years ago.

I have owned three of the Radio Shack adapters. Two of them broke off inside of the iPAQ. The Radio Shack versions are too long in my opinion (actual plug+the barrel). If they come partially out and are subjected to any strain, the tips of the plugs are prone to breaking.

I also have the 90 deg. (elbow) version and it works better, but it turns and hangs on nearby objects.

I have cut the 3.5mm plug off of my headphones and car cassette adapter, replacing with very small 2.5mm plugs I got at Fry's. This has been the best solution. I can understand though why the original poster doesn't want to do this because he uses his headphones with several devices.

I think what is needed is an adapter with a very short 2.5mm plug (maybe even w/ a 90 deg elbow) with 3 to 6 inches of cable and a 3.5mm jack on the other end. This would move the strain relief away from the Treo jack.
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com
    I suggest you go the other way - modify the headsets to a 2.5mm male plug and get a 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter. Much less strain on equipment all around, and practically no risk at all.

Here are some possible no-risk solutions:

See http://www.trianglecables.com/sma3525.html
    http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...ode=ADA-25M35F
    http://www.stsi.com/Merchant2/mercha...ode=30A3-09200
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by westronic; 02/04/2005 at 06:33 PM.
    Amazing, reading comprehension! the original poster has stated his clear intention of why he wanted the modification and why getting two headsets won't work for him, why he didn't want to modify his headset to 2.5mm. Yes there are still responses that ignore his intention.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejung
    Amazing, reading comprehension! the original poster has stated his clear intention of why he wanted the modification and why getting two headsets won't work for him, why he didn't want to modify his headset to 2.5mm. Yes there are still responses that ignore his intention.

...true and your reply doesn't answer his question either.

Regardless, this is a good thread.
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com
    cornrow: it would be a pretty simple operation if there is enough space inside the Treo, and I can't imagine there wouldn't be. Go to a local electronic supply store and ask the people who work there if one of them would be interested in doing this.

I have opened up IBM laptops when they used to cost $8000 to put better speakers in them for software demos. I used to get parts from local stores and found them to be staffed with people with background in electronics who enjoy this sort of thing. I guess you have to if you like to work there.

Failing that, you can also ask around at a hobies stores.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12