1.    #1  
    The credit card is out and ready to be used, but a few last minute questions:

1) Is it worth the extra $50 for the universal mount? Right now I don't have any sort of mount but was wondering if any treo 650 people can attest that the universal mount holds the t650 well.

2) Does the Bluetooth version come with a cable that would make it wired rather than bluetooth if I choose to do so down the road? The reason I ask is that I am in field sales and out driving all day and need to receive calls while gps is on. Sounds like you can receive a call with a bluetooth headset and when you hang up the gps will resume after a few seconds??? Since I'm on the phone quite a bit I was wondering if a cable came with it should I feel the need to get rid of the bluetooth interference issue. Any other sales people out there have any advice on this?

3) I'm having a hard time finding a good deal. Looks like some places are selling older versions of tomtom navigator and I'd like to get the latest version. Anyone buy the 2004 navigator and feel like they got a good deal?? Some places list the item# as 1H50081, some say 1H50080. How can you tell if you're getting the lastest software version? I saw someone on here bought from buy.com for $230ish, but it didn't include a mount.

4) I've read that you can only download the software twice?? Right now I have the free 128mb card and will be buying a 2gb card soon but am wondering if I use the 128mb card now does that use up one of my two downloads?

5) It feels funny to be in 2005 and buying the 2004 version. If they come out with a new 2005 version soon, can we upgrade for free? Not sure how these things work.

I looking forward to hearing your advice. I'm dying to buy the gps unit!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by keswick
    1) Is it worth the extra $50 for the universal mount?
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $universal$ $mount$ $is$ $NOT$ $compatible$ $with$ $the$ $650$. $It$'$s$ $for$ $the$ $T3$ $IIRC$.

2) Does the Bluetooth version come with a cable that would make it wired rather than bluetooth if I choose to do so down the road?
    No cable... only Bluetooth.

Some places list the item# as 1H50081, some say 1H50080. How can you tell if you're getting the lastest software version? I saw someone on here bought from buy.com for $230ish, but it didn't include a mount.
    The two item numbers represent with and without the mount (see #1). Again, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $2004$ $version$ $is$ $the$ $most$ $current$.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  3.    #3  
    If the universal mount is not compatible, then what are t650 users using as a mount??
    I have the sprint stock 650 flip case that uses swivel clip... so I bought a female clip from sprint that is mounable & uses 2 sided tape... which I stuck to my dash where I can see it well.
    when in the car.. I unlock treo in case from the belt clip & then slide round male on back of my case onto mount on the dash..
    cheap & works awesome & strong!
  5.    #5  
    I couldn't wait, so I just ordered the TomTom navigator from buy.com. I took I believe it was Linuxguy's suggestion and used an online coupon and total came to $230- incl ship&tax.

Anyway, next assignment- find a mount. I would like to find some suction cup mount that would hold the t650. Any recommendations out there???

Also, does anyone know if I switch sd cards, does that use up my two downloads of the software???
    For what it's worth, I can't get Tomtom to work anymore, even with a hard reset and a fresh install of windows xp. The bluetooth receiver holux gr-231 and gr-230 no longer connect. Everything activates fine, but it just keeps saying "no gps signal" and "no gps device." Mapopolis exhibits similar behavior: "gps unit could not be started." I think it's a software problem rather than both my bluetooth receivers failing. The bluetooth receivers work on my pocket pc. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that it is possible for it to stop working even after fresh reinstalls of everything. I have spent 3 days on this and I am returning it (thank goodness for the return policy). When it worked, it was great though.
    pufftissue, I think you just hijacked this thread. Since you are already getting a ton of attention in the other TomTom thread, please keep this one on the topic at hand. Thank you.

Keswick and others, I bought TomTom Nav 4 for Palm BT without the car cradle (for $230 and free shipping from Buy.com as well) and then got the Treo 600/650 car cradle from ProclipsUSA. Now the total for mounting plate and cradle from Proclips came to about $70 (pricey), but I love it and it keeps my TomTom enabled treo 650 towards the top of my dash, but not on my dashboard, which would block some view of the road like the TomTom kit does. Though the location of your ProClipsUSA car cradle will vary due to different car models. Mine is a (embarrassing shudder) 2001 Chrysler Town & Country minivan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Markito; 01/31/2005 at 11:02 AM.
    ~'kito
    After extensive research, I have found that the extremepda.com air vent mount is the most economical, solid option.
    I followed that link to check them out and for the Treo 650 (and even 600 for that matter), I only saw "windshield" mounts and not vent mounts.
    Advice?
    ~'kito
    Sorry, Markito. Here's the link:

http://www.extremepda.com/page/XPDA/...CC/IPODMOUNT4G

The iPod version (which I use) is the recommended size air vent mount. You can't beat it for the price, relatively speaking (although I still think it's a bit overpriced)...
    Biker,
    Let me get this straight...you use the iPod version of the extremepda mount for the T650? Isn't there a difference in the size of the respective devices? Thanks.
  12.    #12  
    I just received the mount from extremepda for the t650 and fits perfect. ipod mount is I think $5 cheaper, but I thought I'd splurge.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    hijack-mounting ()

I'd want a cigarette-charger built-in gooseneck version. That would be awesome!