Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    when your online on the treo, are there any apps that will alert you when someone is calling while your online?
  2. #2  
    nope
    Treoing & Loving it
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    nope
    Short and concise, I like it.
    generally, depending on your carrier.
    The call will go to voice mail, or temporarily interrupt your data session until you are finished with, or ignore your call.
  4. #4  
    On the GSM version, if you are online, it will let the call come through.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by webtoker
    On the GSM version, if you are online, it will let the call come through.
    Aahh thanks Webtoker, I get scared for awhile.
    Another reason then to get the GSM version.
  6. Quake97's Avatar
    Posts
    557 Posts
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    #6  
    You can receive calls on the GSM and CDMA versions. The difference is that when you are actively using data on the CDMA version the call will be set to voicemail. In other words, when the little data icons thingy is green and someone calls, it'll go to voicemail. If you notice on GSM phones the icon is always green since it doesn't really matter.

    Joe
  7. #7  
    I've seen a number of people post this claim that the GSM Treo's WILL allow a call through when your data connection is active (green arrows). I've seen just as many say that this is NOT true, that while GSM is theoretically capable of such, the Treo is not.

    Can any of you with GSM Treo 600s or 650s personally verify that you have recieved a phone call while on an active (green arrow) data link? Personally, I doubt it very much.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I've seen a number of people post this claim that the GSM Treo's WILL allow a call through when your data connection is active (green arrows). I've seen just as many say that this is NOT true, that while GSM is theoretically capable of such, the Treo is not.

    Can any of you with GSM Treo 600s or 650s personally verify that you have recieved a phone call while on an active (green arrow) data link? Personally, I doubt it very much.
    Yes, it is normal, and I will try and make a video today. I have green arrows most of the day. And even when I am actively transferring web pages, calls will go through. I have heard if you are using shoutcast it will go to voicemail, I don't have it.
  9. #9  
    Ok, I just tried ten times times, this exact senario. I pushed a favorite and made sure it was going to spin the pie around. 2 out of 10 times it went to voice mail. GSM have green arrows most of the day, especially if you have Chatter and/or Verichat. Green arrow mean something different from GSM than CDMA. 8 out of 10 times the phone switched from receiving data to phone ringing screen.

    I don't have an easy way to make a movie today, but will work on it.
  10. #10  
    OK, so green arrows mean something different. It still sounds to me like if you really have an active data connections (are transferring data), the GSM will go to voice mail.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  11. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #11  
    Hey guys, cglaguna and I have butted heads over this issue before. I *think* what's happening is this: I believe GPRS (and maybe EDGE too???) is very "bursty" in that it can pick up and drop the data connection very quickly. Because of this, it's very likely that an incoming call can "slip between the cracks" during data transfer and still come through. However, depending on the timing if the call hits it right during active data trasnsfer it will go to VM just like CDMA does. The difference is that the CDMA connection seems to be "constant", meaning that any incoming call will go to VM if the arrows are green.

    I think the only thing we can say for sure is that the GSM versions seem to suffer from this problem far less than the CDMA versions do.

    Incidentally, I think the arrows are always green for the GSM versions as long as you're connected to the data session- regardless of whether you're actively transferring data or not.

    Nevetheless, I think more testing could be done here - particularly with the GSM 650. I'd love to know if the GSM 650 is any different in this regard.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Hey guys, cglaguna and I have butted heads over this issue before. I *think* what's happening is this: I believe GPRS (and maybe EDGE too???) is very "bursty" in that it can pick up and drop the data connection very quickly. Because of this, it's very likely that an incoming call can "slip between the cracks" during data transfer and still come through. However, depending on the timing if the call hits it right during active data trasnsfer it will go to VM just like CDMA does. The difference is that the CDMA connection seems to be "constant", meaning that any incomign call will go to VM if the arrows are green.

    Incidentally, I think the arrows are always green for the GSM versions as long as you're connected to the data session- regardless of whether you're actively transferring data or not.

    Nevetheless, I think more testing could be done here - particularly with the GSM 650. I'd love to know if the GSM 650 is any different in this regard.
    I agree, with Minsc. I was mistaken because it had never happened to me during a data session. But I can try to force it to happen, and usually goes through, but not all the time. I am sure if I tried something really data intensive like shoutcast, it may go to voicemail more often. But with web browsing, it is unusual for it to go to voicemail. I am using a 600.
  13. #13  
    There goes one of GSM's features that I was sold on. Nonetheless, I'm still interested in being able to go from a cheap backup phone and a trendy expensive PDA/phone and vice versa by simply swapping SIM cards. Thus far GSM is the only choice for that.

    I still need to confirm EDGE speeds compared to 1xrtt and EDVO, and also DUN speeds, particularly over bluetooth.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I agree, with Minsc. I was mistaken because it had never happened to me during a data session. But I can try to force it to happen, and usually goes through, but not all the time. I am sure if I tried something really data intensive like shoutcast, it may go to voicemail more often. But with web browsing, it is unusual for it to go to voicemail. I am using a 600.

    I think it just depends on if it is using up the full amount of BW. If there is enough to send the call notification through it will, otherwise it goes to voicemail.
  15. #15  
    I don't get any calls coming in with verichat on. This sux!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by davetheone
    I don't get any calls coming in with verichat on. This sux!
    Dave are you CDMA?? This never happens with GSM, or I should say it has never happened to me, I leave Verichat on all day long, and it doesnot interrupt phone calls.

Posting Permissions