1.    #1  
    So, to follow-up on this question, does anyone recomment Cingular or T-Mobile, one or the other? I'm holding out for an unlocked GSM 650. I too have T-Mobile. It works for me. I'm in New York City and travel the US and internationally. My only problem is that it doesn't work well in rural Pennsylvania where I visit my relatives. (That's only 6 or so weekends a year though.) I too have seen that Consumer Reports comparing the carriers. How does Cingular hold up in the NYC area? ...and how does Cingular do in the rural areas as compared to T-Mobile? Is one or the other better in Europe and Asia?

One final note... I stopped by a Cingular store last evening. The rep had no idea what I was talking about concerning which network (Blue or Orange) was better. He said they're the same. I politely disagreed. He then asked if I worked for the company because I referred to Orange and Blue. Ughh!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by koolio
    taylorh, thanks for the advice. So, I was on the right track - to wait and go with Cingular (Orange).

I have read about the Media Works trick - will definitely be doing that if I end up switching to Cingular. Right now, I'm on the fence as to buy the Cingular T650 when it comes out or wait for the unbranded/unlocked version from palmOne and stay with T-Mobile. To be honest, I'd probably wouldn't really think about getting the unbranded version if I weren't in a contract with T-Mobile...

All this being said, I must admit, I'm still weary about switching to Cingular as both JD Power and Consumer Reports' surveys find T-Mobile second to Verizon in most major metropolitan markets - and, Cingular/ATTWS is usually close to dead last. But, it appears you're happy with Cingular...argh, these darn decisions!
    I just switched from T-Mobile to Cingular, my only reason was to get onto an EDGE network. Coverage at my house is better with Cingular, around urban areas it seems the same as T-Mobile. But your experience will be whatever it is in your area. Generally, it seems Cingular has better coverage across the US (if you put the pre-merger Cingular network together with AT&T Wireless). Internationally, T-Mobile generally has better coverage because of their richer partnerships with international carriers (and because they actually are an international carrier).

So far, I'd have to say that Cingular's customer service isn't as good as T-Mobile. Every conversation I've had with Cingular thus far has been pretty frustrating, while with T-Mobile it was fairly neutral. Neither of their phone reps know anything that you will ask them about, but the T-Mobile reps seem to be more willing to accept this and find someone who can help you. The Cingular reps seem to be incented to struggle and cook up fairly offbeat theories rather than admit they're in over their heads.

One example: I was having trouble checking my email on my phone. The phone rep first claimed that you couldn't check email on my phone model (you can), then said that I had to register on their site for a Cingular email account (you don't), then said that this phone will only work with the Cingular email service (it works with any POP or IMAP service). I gave up and researched an answer on the web. This same pattern has occurred a few times in the short time I've been with Cingular. With T-Mobile, they likely wouldn't have been able to answer this either, but I either would have been shunted to a tech support person, or they would have asked me to bring the phone to a service center, or something more reasonable.

I'm willing to put up with this for the EDGE network, though. If T-Mobile gets EDGE running nationwide anytime soon, though, I'd go back to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoaoPauzaoNYC
    So, to follow-up on this question, does anyone recomment Cingular or T-Mobile, one or the other? I'm holding out for an unlocked GSM 650. I too have T-Mobile. It works for me. I'm in New York City and travel the US and internationally. My only problem is that it doesn't work well in rural Pennsylvania where I visit my relatives. (That's only 6 or so weekends a year though.) I too have seen that Consumer Reports comparing the carriers. How does Cingular hold up in the NYC area? ...and how does Cingular do in the rural areas as compared to T-Mobile? Is one or the other better in Europe and Asia?

One final note... I stopped by a Cingular store last evening. The rep had no idea what I was talking about concerning which network (Blue or Orange) was better. He said they're the same. I politely disagreed. He then asked if I worked for the company because I referred to Orange and Blue. Ughh!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by koolio
    taylorh, thanks for the advice. So, I was on the right track - to wait and go with Cingular (Orange).

I have read about the Media Works trick - will definitely be doing that if I end up switching to Cingular. Right now, I'm on the fence as to buy the Cingular T650 when it comes out or wait for the unbranded/unlocked version from palmOne and stay with T-Mobile. To be honest, I'd probably wouldn't really think about getting the unbranded version if I weren't in a contract with T-Mobile...

All this being said, I must admit, I'm still weary about switching to Cingular as both JD Power and Consumer Reports' surveys find T-Mobile second to Verizon in most major metropolitan markets - and, Cingular/ATTWS is usually close to dead last. But, it appears you're happy with Cingular...argh, these darn decisions!
    I am satisfied with T-Mobile's voice plan but I am planning to switch to Cingular because of EDGE ( if AT&T's towers are opened to Cingular).
    T-Mobile CS is good but again how often you call them ?
    I had a problem once with forwarding calls and after calling to tech support and other CRs, it took 4-5 calls to resolve the problem.
    So I am satisfied with them but I really think that if you have to deal with CS, it really depends on how you are talking with.
    Anyway, you have 30 days to try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoaoPauzaoNYC
    So, to follow-up on this question, does anyone recomment Cingular or T-Mobile, one or the other?
    In contemplation of EDGE I, a confirmed T-Mo customer, decided to try Cingular. I bought a "pay as you go" SIM. I found that Cingular was significantly better in my home in Connecticut and also in NYC.
    I would try both, I am in So Cal where T-Mobile is riding on our Cingular lines. I noticed at work that indoors my fellow workers had much worse T-mobile reception, most of the time none, than us Cing/ATT people and I didn't understand it.

I called my rep and he/she explained it as:
    Cingular is moving to the 850mhz spectrum, they were on 1900mhz. The reason they allowed T-mobile to ride thier towers was too fold. It opened up some previously weak markets in the East for Cingular as Cingular rode T-Mobiles towers and it gave Cingular some money to invest in 850mhz and ATT's network.

Right now Cingular is selling the 1900mhz to T-mobile, to one day, in the distant future, be all 850mhz.

I was told: That 850mhz has much better building and wall penetration.

As far as that consumer reports article, the CS aspect may be true. I wonder what the coverage rating would be if it were checked now, with Cign and ATT merged networks.
    This is what I'm thinking of doing: get the Cingular T650 when it comes out next week and give the 30-day trial a whirl. If I like Cingular and if the unbranded version is released within 30 days of Cingular's release, I'll return the Cingular T650 and buy the unbranded/unlocked T650. This way, I'll know what Cingular's coverage is like in my area (Boston, MA) and decide if I want to pay the $200 early termination fee to get out of T-Mo and switch to Cingular. If I don't, I'll simply use the unbranded version on T-Mo's network. If I do, I'll try to cancel T-Mo w/o paying the early termination fee and use the unbranded version on Cingular's network.

Man, I really wish I didn't agree to another 1-year contract with T-Mo to get the $100 discount on my BlackBerry 7100t....*sigh*
    FWIW, The Cingular "30 day refund/cancellation policy" (I just found out yesterday) does NOT include refunding your $36 activation fee if you return after 3 days. They don't make that very clear anywhere unless you read the "fine print" on the counter cards with the refund policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    FWIW, The Cingular "30 day refund/cancellation policy" (I just found out yesterday) does NOT include refunding your $36 activation fee if you return after 3 days. They don't make that very clear anywhere unless you read the "fine print" on the counter cards with the refund policy.
    That sucks but it would be worth it to me to see if it is worth investing 1 or 2 years of your service with them. Either that or do it on a weekend and try to do it within those 3 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    True, that's something to think about.
    Another thing, not really sure if it's the same with Cingular but a long time ago, I ended up cancelling during the trial period on T-Mobile.
    I was able to get the activation fee back after speaking to CS for awhile BUT I was not able to sign up again with them for 90 days.
    Find out if it's the same thing with Cingular !
    I wouldn't mind paying $36 for a 30-day trial period...but, I must say, I'm glad they offer that b/c I wouldn't really be able to test a provider's coverage/quality within 14-days. Well, I could if I dedicated myself to take a tour of everywhere I go each weekend but that'd be a real pain in the a**.

Anyways, thanks for giving us the heads-up on the activation fee - good to know b/c I would've expected to get that refunded to me.