1.    #1  
    From the sound of it, the best option is to buy an unlocked generic gsm treo 650 and then use a sim card from a standard phone plan. Is there a faq that details setting up the treo to obtain full functionality? Is there any specific plan that must be added to my cingular account?
    I have always bought generic, Palm One give you all the settings and software you need, it isn't any harder than buying a Cingular Treo.
    The treo gets its networking settings from the SIM. Basically no setup required.

Todd/Indy
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Yup. I was impressed the first time I popped a SIM card into an unlocked treo and it just "magically" filled in the settings.
    I find that believing the universe spontaneously generated, developed self-governing laws, and produced intelligent life all by random, purposeless, material events requires greater faith than I am able to muster.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    The treo gets its networking settings from the SIM. Basically no setup required.

Todd/Indy
    I am fairly new to gsm and sims. What info is stored on my sim card?
    SIM is an acronym for "Subscriber Identity Module". It tells your hardware (handset) what your number is, what calling features you've subbed to, how roaming should be handled, etc. It also stores a limited contact list (most don't use this feature much anymore). The portability and flexibility of the SIM is a primary advantage of GSM carriers in many users' opinions.

Todd/Indy