1.    #1  
    i have a 32 meg. avi south park episode.
    when i drag it to the palm quick install window for my 128 meg. sd card, it gives error exclamation mark. no real error info.

i tested just a small text file, no error.

please help a newb.
    thx.
    The avi format is not natively supported by the Palm OS, so the install tool will not let you hotsync it. Try copying the file to your SD card with a card reader. It should then be visible to your movie player.
    Zane
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    The avi format is not natively supported by the Palm OS, so the install tool will not let you hotsync it. Try copying the file to your SD card with a card reader. It should then be visible to your movie player.
    Zane
    thx. for replying, however, I do not have a card reader. Is there a work around?
    I do not know of any workarounds. You might do a search here, but I think your best bet is to invest in a USB card reader. They are fairly cheap-sometimes under $10, and the transfer rate will be much faster. Using the Palm install tool for the SD card is painfully slow.
    Zane
  5.    #5  
    Ok, i will add that to my list of items to buy for my new palm.
    1) screen protector
    2) extra charger for work
    3) 1 gig card
    4) usb card reader.
    Quote Originally Posted by hokey_days
    Is there a work around?
    You can try renaming the file using a .pdb extension, drag it into QuickInstall, sync it to the card, and then use an app like Filez to name it back to .avi.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    The only problem with that method is that the hotsync will take so long, you'll be punching your system.

USB card reader = $20 or less. 1 minute copy.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    hokey-days,
    Just a tip. The Tungsten 5 and the Treo 650 use the same connector/charger, so T5 cables should work. I have the Palm car charger and it says Tungsten 5/Treo 650.
    Zane
    Quote Originally Posted by hokey_days
    thx. for replying, however, I do not have a card reader. Is there a work around?
    What about Palm File Browser ?
    Description: "Palm File Browser lets you manage your files on the Treo and the SD card directly from your Windows PC"

http://mytreo.net/downloads/modules....etails/lid/220

And it's free !
  10.    #10  
    thx. for everyone's help. the post about renaming file did not work for me. i renamed to get it on the treo card, and installed fielz, but it would not let me rename a file that was not in memory. not knowing how to do this, i just got me a card reader. circuit city has one on sale (lol) for 19 bucks after rebate. it is a sandisk 12-1 reader. works nicely.
    You could also use the Palm desktop:

1. Click on the Install Icon
    2. Click on Add
    3. Change File type to All Files(*.*)
    4. Choose the File
    5. Click on Change Destination...
    6. Make sure it says Install to Card.

Or you could use Pilot Install...I believe it is free.

Of course both these ways are slower than a card reader...
    02.02.05 - A new beginning...A Treo 650 beginning...