Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    I learnt the other day that Cingular's insurance does not include coverage on PDA's (including the Treo models).

    1. What are my options if the phone fails to fully function after the warrenty period expires?

    2. Are there any other companies that I can purchase phone insurance from?

    3. Does TMobile offer insurance on its smartphones?
  2. jberger's Avatar
    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    #2  
    This is one of the 2 reasons I haven't ordered a 650 from Cingular.
    1) No Insurance.
    2) Expensive data plan

    I think your only option is to purchase from a store that sells an extended warranty or service plan.
    Circuit City dropped all providers except verizon, so we have to hope that Best Buy (Who's return proceedures and warranty are a pain) will carry the GSM 650.
    Palm does not offer an extended warranty option on the 650, so unless there is a a 3rd party out there somewhere, I think you are stuck.

    Tmobile only allows you to pickup insurance on new activations, they would not me add insurance to my existing Treo 270 (Even after I've paid for several repairs) even if I signed a new contract.

    I'm not looking to abuse the warranty provider by looking to upgrade to a later model or anything. I just want to know the phone will be repaired if it breaks and Cingular's lack over coverage is a big sticking point for me. I'd like to move away from Tmobile since I've been having trouble with thier billing dept lately. But Sprint's customer service and tech support SUCKED when I tried the 650, not to mention the lack of rural coverage. Who knows, maybe I'll find an unlocked 650 and stick with Tmobile. . .
  3. #3  
    If you purchase using credit card, most credit cards will automatically double your warranty at no charge. That makes it 2 years. Of course that wouldn't cover you if you ran over the phone with your car or dropped it in the john, just for warranty repairs but it's better then nothing (and free).
  4. #4  
    How do credit cards "automatically double the warranty" at no charge?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    If you purchase using credit card, most credit cards will automatically double your warranty at no charge. That makes it 2 years. Of course that wouldn't cover you if you ran over the phone with your car or dropped it in the john, just for warranty repairs but it's better then nothing (and free).
    It's not "most" credit cards. This is a card-by-card offer and should be examined VERY carefully. Also, it often has stringent procedures that must be followed to guarantee the benefit (such as sending the cc company a copy of the receipt upon purchase, etc.). This is only a "standard" benefit for true PLATINUM Visa and Mastercards, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $But$ $read$ $the$ $fine$ $print$.
  6. jberger's Avatar
    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    #6  
    Ditto MHR's description.
    Anyone thinking that CC insurance is anything but a last resort has never read the fine print. Don't ever expect much from a Credit Card company, they are in the business of selling debt, not protection.

    Examples (Amex Coverage)
    Lost and Stolen coverage is for 90 days from date of purchase.
    BUT Only platinum members receive "Lost" coverage
    There are extreme limits on lost, if you left it where someone else could find it, it's not considered lost. . .
    Computers are often only covered on limited platinum cards (i'm certain they would try to say a treo is a computer)
    No Coverage if stolen from a car or baggage or any place "not reasonably safeguarded".
    Warranty Coverage only mirrors the orignal warranty, and only takes effect after the original warranty expires.
    Coverage is limited to the amount placed on the card at the time of purchase, so if you get a $150 discount for a new contract, that amount is deducted from the payment. Which means your treo will never be covered at the no contract price if you signed a contract.
    Your account must be kept current during the entire coverage period, miss a day and the coverage is cancelled.
    No Physical Damage covered.
    Not available in New York State.
    All coverage is in excess of existing coverage, which means you'll probably need to make a claim with your homeowners policy and then you can claim with the CC company.
  7. #7  
    Yes, absolutely correct. Definately read the fine print. However virtually EVERY credit card I have includes the warranty option and NONE (that I have) require pre-submitting receipts. My plain old "GM CARD" paid for repairs of my Kyocera 7135 without problem last year and my American Express "Optima" fixed my Sony 36" TV a few months ago.

    Some used to require "pre-registering" when this all started many years ago but have stopped (at least the ones I deal with).

    This is NOT a loss, physical damage warranty. it just doubles the actual MANUFACTURER'S warranty found inside the box for up to 1 year.

    So let me REPHRASE: Before buying (and having ZERO extended warranty available from Cingular as they don't sell them for PDA's) check with your credit card company as there is a good chance (if you are dealing with a major "brand") you will be covered.



    Quote Originally Posted by MHR
    It's not "most" credit cards. This is a card-by-card offer and should be examined VERY carefully. Also, it often has stringent procedures that must be followed to guarantee the benefit (such as sending the cc company a copy of the receipt upon purchase, etc.). This is only a "standard" benefit for true PLATINUM Visa and Mastercards, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $But$ $read$ $the$ $fine$ $print$.
  8. #8  
    Did you read my original message? I said:

    If you purchase using credit card, most credit cards will automatically double your warranty at no charge. That makes it 2 years. Of course that wouldn't cover you if you ran over the phone with your car or dropped it in the john, just for warranty repairs but it's better then nothing (and free).

    Never mentioned loss, theft or anything other then an extension of MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY.

    Considering Cingular/ATT offers NOTHING beyond the manufacturer's warranty this is at least something.

    Amex is the absolute best. Even their lowest end card. They pay without any hassle whatsever. Most of their cards even refund the crappy 15% restocking charges that Best Buy and CrapUSA charge when you return an item you have opened and will take back an entire item (up to $250) if a store refuses. I've made use of it all with never a hassle.


    Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    Ditto MHR's description.
    Anyone thinking that CC insurance is anything but a last resort has never read the fine print. Don't ever expect much from a Credit Card company, they are in the business of selling debt, not protection.

    Examples (Amex Coverage)
    Lost and Stolen coverage is for 90 days from date of purchase.
    BUT Only platinum members receive "Lost" coverage
    There are extreme limits on lost, if you left it where someone else could find it, it's not considered lost. . .
    Computers are often only covered on limited platinum cards (i'm certain they would try to say a treo is a computer)
    No Coverage if stolen from a car or baggage or any place "not reasonably safeguarded".
    Warranty Coverage only mirrors the orignal warranty, and only takes effect after the original warranty expires.
    Coverage is limited to the amount placed on the card at the time of purchase, so if you get a $150 discount for a new contract, that amount is deducted from the payment. Which means your treo will never be covered at the no contract price if you signed a contract.
    Your account must be kept current during the entire coverage period, miss a day and the coverage is cancelled.
    No Physical Damage covered.
    Not available in New York State.
    All coverage is in excess of existing coverage, which means you'll probably need to make a claim with your homeowners policy and then you can claim with the CC company.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    This is one of the 2 reasons I haven't ordered a 650 from Cingular.
    1) No Insurance.
    2) Expensive data plan
    But you can use it in Zimbabwe!!!!!!!!!!

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...s/rolleyes.gif



    Gmath, have you cosidered adding a rider for the phone to your homeowners/renters insurance? That would work too, but probably not as convenient.
  10. #10  
    But you can use it in Zimbabwe!!!!!!!!!!
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...s/rolleyes.gif
    Gmath, have you cosidered adding a rider for the phone to your homeowners/renters insurance? That would work too, but probably not as convenient
    Oh, so now you are starting the crap that you accuse others of, whatever.
    My homeowners won't cover phones but they will cover computers, and others have reported that with the computer coverage, USAA will cover PDA's (Treo's)
  11. #11  
    Who is USAA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    and others have reported that with the computer coverage, USAA will cover PDA's (Treo's)
  12. #12  
    Problem with USAA's coverage is that the premium/deductible adds up so fast that within two years, you're in for half of the unit.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Who is USAA ?
    Only the best bank and insurance company in America.... We have everything through them. You have to be in the military or a child or spouse of military. We have it b/c my dad was an officer in the Navy. (Used to be only for officers, now its for all military.)
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Oh, so now you are starting the crap that you accuse others of, whatever.
    My homeowners won't cover phones but they will cover computers, and others have reported that with the computer coverage, USAA will cover PDA's (Treo's)
    I was just pokin fun at em

    Yeah, I'd just tell the insurance company it was a "PDA computer".
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    Problem with USAA's coverage is that the premium/deductible adds up so fast that within two years, you're in for half of the unit.
    I was in Laguna Beach, Ca year of terrible fires that closed the town for three days. The day they opened the city again, USAA sent a trailer to start processing claims, immediately. My house was spared but very wierd experience, then bad floods the next year.

    I don't want to dis anyone's insurance by name, but let's say some very well known large companys were fighting with their policy holders 1 1/2 years later. I made the switch at that point. Yes, it was military officers, now, I guess, any military member and immediate family.

    re: Deductable. I still have not called them to get this. Yes, my deductable is $500 for my houses. But, someone told me you could get a computer rider for $17 a year with a $100 deductable. I don't know if that's true yet, but I am going to check into it.
  16. #16  
    I recall that it was $100 deductible and something like $100 a year for their insurance. That means if you lose your unit in the second year, you're in for $300 already for a $500 unit.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    I recall that it was $100 deductible and something like $100 a year for their insurance. That means if you lose your unit in the second year, you're in for $300 already for a $500 unit.
    Listen to this. I just called.
    I get $8,000 coverage for $26 a year. Covers anything, water damage, dropping, fire or theft....
    That will cover my two Treos, my new dual Xeon Dell 2 gig and other desk top, two laptops. That means that if I had one Treo stolen in in year
    Sprint Lockline = 2 phones X $4 X 12 months =$96
    deductable +$50 Total $146

    USAA = 2 phones yearly $26 deductable $100 = $126
    and 4 other computers are covered as well. Sounds like a deal to me MVT. Would rather make a claim with USAA than with Lockline.

Posting Permissions