Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hi again all... ok, after looking at the costs of the different plans i am almost at the point where i am ready to scratch the GSM version of the 650 altogether.

i'm currently a tMobile customer, so no EDGE-like speeds to be had on their current network, and while Cingular offers like speeds they are charging 3 times as much for unlimited data access. after looking at the two different plans it seems that aside from being able to possibly (?) use the GSM version outside the states at some point, i cant see how the Cingular offering is better than the Sprint plan thats been available for all this time now!

from what i can tell, for $60 a month w/ Sprint i can get 1000 anytime minutes, free nights and weekends, nationwide calling, and unlimited data on the 650... or, on Cingular, i can get 850 nationwide minutes, same night and weekend deal, and unlimited data for $100 a month.

what am i missing here? is Sprint that bad a carrier to use? while i prefer GSM phones overall i don't see the benefit at this point, dollar for dollar, and i really need the fast data connection for my laptop, GPRS doesn't cut it... any clarfication or correction would be great, i really want to get a 650 soon friends..!
    I moved from Tmo to a Sprint 650 about a month ago and have never looked back. Either a lot of the horror stories about Sprint are false, or their CS has improved dramatically recently. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Some things I like better about Sprint...
    * when listening to voicemail, Sprint plays the most recently received voicemail FIRST rather than LAST. This is much better than Tmo, which forced you to go through old and saved voicemails before it would play the brand new voicemail you just got and really care about (granted you can skip throught them but still, it was incredibly annoying when you have an urgent message).
    * the data speeds on Sprint are much better than Tmo, and the plan costs $5 less/month. I average from 90Kbps to 100Kbps...but with Tmo I was lucky to get 15 Kpbs. Maybe EDGE will come out someday and match 1xrtt, but for now their GPRS data speeds are very dissapointing. And by the time EDGE is available, Sprint will probably have 1-uped them by releasing EVDO.
    * I don't know if others have had this problem with Tmo, but my GPRS connection would drop frequently...haven't had this happen nearly as much with Sprint PCS Vision.
    * Sprint has been a big promoter of the Treo series ever since the Treo 300. Tmo is more interested in PPC and the sidekick...they may not even release a Tmo version of the 650.

Some things I like better about Tmo...
    * More consistent signal strength. I've notice that with Sprint, my signal strength can jump from 4 bars to 1 or no bars even though I'm standing completely still. It doesn't lose the call but it's just kind of strange. It may just be a display issue with the Treo--when I looked at signal strength with Zlauncher, it showed 62% even though the Treo showed 0 bars. I would think 0 bars would mean 0% signal strength but I must be wrong.
    * Better outbound voice quality. The outbound voice quality seemed a little clearer with my old Tmo Treo than with Sprint, even with the shadowmite rom. This may be the Sprint network or it may be the Treo. It hasn't been a major problem, but it could be better. Also, if you use a good headset, the outbound sound quality is much better IMO. Hopefully P1 and Sprint will acknowledge and resolve the issue with the next firmware update.

Based on my experience, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend going with the Sprint 650 (remember that they have a 14-day return policy). If I was to rate the two carriers from 1 to 10(highest), I would give Sprint an 8 and Tmo a 5 because Tmo's data speeds are downright sad.
    I have had sprint for 4 yrs.... much better than when I had cingular.. I have 650 & 2 other phones on shared 2000 min plan w/pic pak/unlim vision... insurance, unlim nites/weekends start @ 7pm & unlim pcs to pcs... for about $160 a month... all we need & no home phone...we get our email & internet conn to the comp thru our phones... vision. it would have cost us $290 a month to have basic cell phone service.. home phone for local & long dist, & pay for dial up provider. much cheaper & all in one going completely wireless.....
    & never loss use of our cell service during 3 hurricanes last year. even though we lost power, I was able to access the NHC doppler on the web w/my treo! + got free upgrade from 600 to 650 from sprint (i promised not to devulge the details).
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_monkey
    I moved from Tmo to a Sprint 650 about a month ago and have never looked back. Either a lot of the horror stories about Sprint are false, or their CS has improved dramatically recently. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Some things I like better about Sprint...
    * when listening to voicemail, Sprint plays the most recently received voicemail FIRST rather than LAST. This is much better than Tmo, which forced you to go through old and saved voicemails before it would play the brand new voicemail you just got and really care about (granted you can skip throught them but still, it was incredibly annoying when you have an urgent message).
    * the data speeds on Sprint are much better than Tmo, and the plan costs $5 less/month. I average from 90Kbps to 100Kbps...but with Tmo I was lucky to get 15 Kpbs. Maybe EDGE will come out someday and match 1xrtt, but for now their GPRS data speeds are very dissapointing. And by the time EDGE is available, Sprint will probably have 1-uped them by releasing EVDO.
    * I don't know if others have had this problem with Tmo, but my GPRS connection would drop frequently...haven't had this happen nearly as much with Sprint PCS Vision.
    * Sprint has been a big promoter of the Treo series ever since the Treo 300. Tmo is more interested in PPC and the sidekick...they may not even release a Tmo version of the 650.

Some things I like better about Tmo...
    * More consistent signal strength. I've notice that with Sprint, my signal strength can jump from 4 bars to 1 or no bars even though I'm standing completely still. It doesn't lose the call but it's just kind of strange. It may just be a display issue with the Treo--when I looked at signal strength with Zlauncher, it showed 62% even though the Treo showed 0 bars. I would think 0 bars would mean 0% signal strength but I must be wrong.
    * Better outbound voice quality. The outbound voice quality seemed a little clearer with my old Tmo Treo than with Sprint, even with the shadowmite rom. This may be the Sprint network or it may be the Treo. It hasn't been a major problem, but it could be better. Also, if you use a good headset, the outbound sound quality is much better IMO. Hopefully P1 and Sprint will acknowledge and resolve the issue with the next firmware update.

Based on my experience, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend going with the Sprint 650 (remember that they have a 14-day return policy). If I was to rate the two carriers from 1 to 10(highest), I would give Sprint an 8 and Tmo a 5 because Tmo's data speeds are downright sad.

I am in the same situation.I like Sprint for there faster data. Is there a huge difference?.The reason i dumped sprint was ,i was getting one bar in my new house compared to T-mo, 4 every where. Also sprint wouldoccasionally drop calls.
    AT&T phones do not work in my hospital building.
    I am still confused....., where to go?
    I would love to have GSM or trouble free CDMA.
    I suppose it just depends on where you live. Where I live, in some areas Tmo seems to have a little better coverage and in other areas Sprint is better. I reallyhaven't had any major problems with coverage though.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I actually had a bigger signal range with T-Mobile than I do with Sprint now. T-Mobile would jump between 1 and 4 bars all the time on the Blackberry 7100t I have. Of course, I know, it could be the phone.

I jumped to Sprint for the corporate discount and the upgrade they are doing at my office to improve signal. I've been under the delusion that someday I'll need GSM when I leave the country. Who knows when that'll happen.

So far, I love Sprint.

Joe
    i'm also thinking of moving to sprint from tmobile. gprs is too slow and very unreliable.

remember though $45 for 1000 is only for area wide, not free and clear.
  8.    #8  
    the only thing i can find here w/in the fora is some reports that the audio quality is not as good on the sprint variants in comparison to the GSM models, is this correct? my main need is fast data speeds and DUN support (i'm *assuming* this will eventually work w/ the GSM model too. i really, really want to get a 650 tomorrow, but am just not sure which is the better deal in the long run... if the Sprint unlimited data is so much cheaper, why do so many want the GSM version instead? aside from international usage, is there any reason at all to want the GSM over the CDMA version?

for reference, i stay w/in Houston Tx mostly when in the states, and travel at times to Las Vegas, Seattle, NYC (rarely!) and LA, if that comes into play for which model would be best for me...

i'm planning on keeping my Tmobile account, just for a voice line though, and cancel their terribly slow data service altogether..
    in past 2 yrs I have driven from IL to vegas to CA to FL & back to IL. only dropped signal a few minutes in the mountains during all that driving... never roamed & was able to use vision. sprint coverage is great for travel...esp on major rds.. I have lived in IL, vegas, & FL & never have prob w/ coverage except in some buildings.
    As a CTO at a company in NYC, it is my duty to rate each provider out there and guage what would be best for our business.

I can say I used all the major carriers at some time or another. I have to say that T-Mo and ATTWS is the two worst providers that I have ever encountered, both from a technical standpoint, and a CS standpoint.

Cingular Orange, I have to admit has much improved CS, and coverage, but in my opinion overpriced plans.

Don't get me started on Nextel. I won't even dignify them with a summary.

Sprint, has excellent CS. Granted, you must watch your bill, for they are prone to errors. The coverage is unmatched with the $5 Americas Choice option. The plans are also priced very fairly, for both voice and data.

Sprint seems to me the best option for the time being - and highly recommend them.

Forgive any typo, for I am on my 650 as I write this.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I'm thinking about the same thing as shinoSetsuna. I've been trying to get rate/equipment cost info on the ATT/Cingular plans this past week. I decided to use the Treo 600 as the device I was telling them I wanted because nobody I've talked to knows exactly when the 650 will be available.

I've gone into a couple of stores, I've gone through the web site, and I've used CS at 611. So far, every single person I've talked to has given me a different rate and equipment cost with my work discount. Some say I can't even get the work discount. Some say I have to go to the orange side, some will give me blue info.

When I found someone on the phone who could give me a bunch of options, I found a good voice/data rate & equipment deal and a 1 year contract term. But really wanting the Treo 650, I told them I'd call back the next day. I did this, and suddenly the Treo 650 was unavailable, the Treo 600 (my example) was $90 more and the data was $10 more per month and I had to sign up for 2 years.

Total chaos! These guys need to get their act together before I put my faith in them for 1 or even 2 more years.

By contrast, the Sprint store I went to had awesome customer service. There was a heck of a line, and they were taking down names as you walked in the and let you browse the hardware while you waited for your name. The CS rep wasn't too knowledgeable about data plans, but she found someone who was to help me. With ATT, if you're blessed with a dimwit rep, that's pretty much who you're stuck with.

Just my personal experiences.
    Changed to sprint today.
    T650 Voice quality is horrible compared to my TMO T 600.
    Data nd phone plan cheaper and faster, but the basic phone function has issues.Will play with it fora while and decide.
    Ihope the wifi sled comes out soon,life will be much easy with Tmo.
    Something I like about TMO is that I can roam on Cingular / AT&T networks without any extra charges so coverage wherever I go is pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Something I like about TMO is that I can roam on Cingular / AT&T networks without any extra charges so coverage wherever I go is pretty good.

The basic phone function is excellent with T-Mo.
    AT&T drops every call at my work place.
    Sprint does that with every other call in my house.
    T-Mo has never dropped a call.
    WiFi sled will make life easy with T-Mo
    I am in Secaucus, NJ and have had the exact opposite experience. I could not get Tmo service in many places, whereas I switched to Sprint and the call basic function is much better. I can get service anywhere in my house, even the basement, and can get data service as well. Tmo phone service was spotty and data even spottier. Sprint is much faster here.

Moral: Depending on your location and travel habits, some carriers may be better than others.
    Quote Originally Posted by martye8

Moral: Depending on your location and travel habits, some carriers may be better than others.
    Agree ......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Changed to sprint today.
    T650 Voice quality is horrible compared to my TMO T 600.
    Data nd phone plan cheaper and faster, but the basic phone function has issues.Will play with it fora while and decide.
    Ihope the wifi sled comes out soon,life will be much easy with Tmo.
    You might have a bad phone. I would compare it with the sound quality with a demo phone in a sprint store.
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndon_h
    You might have a bad phone. I would compare it with the sound quality with a demo phone in a sprint store.
    In general people have confirmed that GSM T650 has better voice quality than CDMA.
    I am going to try a diffrent phone before calling it quits.
    Dropped 1 call out of 5 due to poor signal strength, another major issue.
    I just switched from Sprint to Cingular GSM. We moved across town, and into a "known coverage hole" according to Sprint, and no prospect of additional towers. so far, the GSM/EDGE experience has been much improved voice quality and consistently higher data speeds than before we moved into the hole. (per toast.net averaging 145-160kbs vs my former Sprint 85-100kbs).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Sound quality on my Treo 650 is fine, better than the 600 on AT&T. It cracks me up when people say one carrier sucks or rocks when it comes to coverage. Each person uses their phone differently and in different places. Its nearly impossible for someone else to use the phone the same way and in the same places you will. Use the 14 day return period to its fullest!

Joe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast