1.    #1  
    Sooooooo... how is it?

It's the one answer that I've been waiting for...... I've heard some not-so-nice things about the CDMA model.... any chance that Palm has improved it on the GSM model?
    I'd like to know that too.

After reading all the threads about outgoing call quality issues (with and without the Shadowmite patch) on the SPCS version, I'd like to know how the GSM version rates.

Namely:
    * Incoming call quality: How bad is the background noise? Quiet? Or lots of hissing and buzzing?

* Outgoing call quality: Can the other end hear you, or is your voice getting chopped up when you're in a noisy area?
    If you guys do a search (or, look at the 'I've got my gsm, who's with me?' thread) a guy did say the call quality was good and he had no issues with it. Hopefully, this is true for all GSM versions. My guess, is the call quality issues with the Sprint version are correlated with the CDMA antenna and thus, won't be an issue with the GSM version.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
  4.    #4  
    Ahhh that would be wonderful if it was true...

I still have my doubts, but I will keep my hopes up!
    Just got my Cingular 650 yesterday, so far the call quality seems really good, much better than my 600, my wife was even surprised I was on my Treo when I called her. BlueTooth however seems very "flakey", sometimes after a call with a BT Headset it "locks" and I have to pull the battery out. As I said I haven't even had it for 24 hours just my initial impressions.
    I got my Treo 650 GSM last friday. The call quality is great. Bluetooth sound quality is great on my Jabra BT200. My only qualm is the speakerphone. The sound quality seems fine and people on the other end seem to hear me fine but the maximum volume is not loud enough. Other than that its an awesome phone!
    Well, good thing I never use those built-in speakerphones on cell phones, nor do I use Bluetooth since the days of the T68i.

I seem to recall reading that the screen's backlight turns off after a while during a call. I'm curious: During a call when the screen is on, does the backlight make any high-pitched buzzing or whining?

I had a Tungsten E (several, actually) that all made quite a ruckus when the backlight was on. It was plenty audible.
    Guys, any more news on this issue? My GSM unit sounds worse than my Nokia or Motorola phones. The volume just isn't loud enough, and it seems that the higher frequencies are not coming through nicely. Sorta like it's being muffled a bit (or the bass is turned up and the treble down). On speakerphone, there is significant hissing in the background. I must say that I'm a bit disappointed with the call quality. Do I have a bum unit or is this typical?
    rhanson, my initial impression is that the quality on my unlocked gsm t650 is worse than on my (ancient) nokia, but i'm withholding judgement until i try it out a bit more in a variety of situations, with bt and wired headsets, etc. i completely agree with you that it sounds a bit muffled (at least as compared to my previous phone.)
    as I posted in a different thread, the earpiece volume is to low. I found the 600 to be a lot louder.
    I certainly don't find the volume loud when I have it turned to max - but I had the same issue with my n-gage and I can hear clearly so I'm not going to complain too much. My one concern is that my wife says she can hear an echoe of herself talking when I phone her from the 650. I don't like that. She said it's minor and faint and no big deal, but on the other hand she knows I've been obsessing about this phone since October so she probably just wants to see me happy. I'm going to have to pay attention to that. Honestly thought I've made only 2 one minute calls so far.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    I think its good. I can deal with the volume although another 10% boost would be perfect. Better then my Blackberry 7100.
    In addition to the speaker volume, I was thinking that the RF performance of the 650 is inferior to both my Nokia and Motorola phones. The signal seems weak even when it shows 4-5 bars. But after hearing all the issues on the Sprint release, maybe it's not the RF after all, it's just the choppiness of the sound. Anyone else hearning choppy sound during a call that sounds like you're in a fringe reception area?
    Im pretty picky about stuff like this and it works fine for me. I guess there cannot be the perfect phone. The 650 does so many cool things I guess we will have to live with a few imperfections that may or may not be fixed with a patch etc.

I love the fact I can snap a pic and upload it to a user I am chatting with on Verichat.
    Quote Originally Posted by richard371
    I love the fact I can snap a pic and upload it to a user I am chatting with on Verichat.
    how intuitive!
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Can't argue with that. I'm hoping that these issues are related to my specific unit. I'll know this weekend when I try another one. I'm trying to justify it to all my coworkers as our standard for execs (as opposed to BlackBerry), so that's why I'm so concerned with the voice quality. Don't want the CEO complaining that he can't hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolio
    If you guys do a search (or, look at the 'I've got my gsm, who's with me?' thread) a guy did say the call quality was good and he had no issues with it. Hopefully, this is true for all GSM versions. My guess, is the call quality issues with the Sprint version are correlated with the CDMA antenna and thus, won't be an issue with the GSM version.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Messing around with the GSM modem of the phone, I noticed that the quality defaults to a 7.5k codec, but also has options for a 14.4k codec. I think the network tells your phone which codec it prefers and mine was at 7.5k.

I was also able to change it to 14.4k and it didn't kick back any errors, but wether or not that allows you to "hack" the voice quality I do not know as I could not perceive any audio quality difference.

I' had my Sprint Treo 650 for 2 months or so prior to moving to Cingular. I think the sound quality is comparible.
    Quote Originally Posted by superjimbo801
    Messing around with the GSM modem of the phone, I noticed that the quality defaults to a 7.5k codec, but also has options for a 14.4k codec. I think the network tells your phone which codec it prefers and mine was at 7.5k.

I was also able to change it to 14.4k and it didn't kick back any errors, but wether or not that allows you to "hack" the voice quality I do not know as I could not perceive any audio quality difference.

I' had my Sprint Treo 650 for 2 months or so prior to moving to Cingular. I think the sound quality is comparible.
    how did you change the codec speeds? through your handset?
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by b0tes
    how did you change the codec speeds? through your handset?
    The radio, is essentially a modem.

You can use bluetooth DUN, a serial port adapter, or a com program for palm to talk directly to it and issue AT commands just liek the good old days of 2400 -56k modems.

GSM AT comamnds documentation is all over the internet.

You can ask the device endless amounts of interesting information.