Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy
    I'd like to know a little about how this product works, privacy information/policy, whether it goes to your server first, then Yahoo, etc. before using it.

Secondly, has Yahoo contracted you to do this or are you doing it on your own. (IE: Do you have a phishing license?)

-- Bob
    I'd like to know as well. I'd hate to find that my ID and password wound up in his hands...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I'd like to know as well. I'd hate to find that my ID and password wound up in his hands...
    i wondered how Verichat handles the username / password too?

would our usernames / passwords get stored in verichat's server?
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    program crashes my treo
    Ok tried it straight from the card, everything works well, even the pictures option. So far so good on my Treo 650!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I take it he hasn't answered back yet. I don't use AOL so this would be better for me, but I would like to know how it is handled. And I don't think MS will ever release a MSN Chat client for the palm OS.
    The program ran okay, and my Yahoo buddy received my messages, but I never received hers. Oh, well.
    Why is this program getting fairly good reviews ?

Its a very basic client that is still fairly buggy .. yes its "free" that doesnt mean good. Verichat is 10x better then this product and works with all your IM clients so it costs a few $ .. If you bought a Treo a few $ for a solid messaging platform should not be a big deal.
    No support for proxy servers so if your on T-Zones ur out of luck..ohh well
    For the guy wondering why the good reviews, I don't think they are reviews. The author requested feedback.

I think people are just being supportive. It is a good first effort. Hardly a Verichat replacement, since that's got all the kinks worked out and some killer features to boot (the SMS wakeup, etc.), but as a little cute free app, it's a start. He'll never be able to charge for it, but that's a different beast.

This new app still crashes my Treo, though...I'm definitely sticking with Verichat, but good job on the new app.
    I tried it once. Logged me in. But when I shut it down, my Treo600 reset. I'll continue to give it a chance, but it looks decent.
    Ditto, I downloaded the newest one today and it worked great, except I didnt get any return messages at all... ANd no reset loop! Here's to hoping! At any rate I still love the interface. Just need to find a way to minimize the chat windows like Causerie... It only has the close function.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicpatriot
    The program ran okay, and my Yahoo buddy received my messages, but I never received hers. Oh, well.

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    This still needs to be worked on, but it's a GREAT start.. Great user interface, and for someone like me who only uses yahoo messenger anyway (i currently use the extremely underrated MunduIM - good price, no frills), this wil be a perfect fit... The fact that it vibrates for EVERY message you receive is very annoying though. The developer told me he is working on that.
    I've been emailing back and forth with the developer, and he says that all incoming messages arrive via SMS.
    I was wondering how that would affect people who have unlimited internet plans, but not unlimited SMS. Seems like a waste for all that data and still get billed. Am I wrong here?
    That will affect people that only have a max of 100 SMS, then they get charged, that sucks.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Wow, ALL of them via SMS? What a waste. I'm one of those with 100 SMS. Verichat uses SMS only to wake it up if it doesn't keep the data alive to save battery -- then it switches over to data connection.

OK, I just deleted the program. I didn't realize I was going to get hammered on my bill.
    Nope. Keeps resetting my T600 every login attempt. Does the author have any suggestions?
    Note from the developer:

Sorry, our app uses SMS for all incoming messages.
    > The reasons are
    > many, but primarily they come down to guaranteed
    > delivery, which SMS
    > offers. Even if you are in an area with no data
    > coverage, you can still
    > receive an SMS. And if you are not, you will get it
    > as soon as your are
    > back in coverage. True, you may not be able to reply
    > right away, but at
    > least you will get the message.
    >
    > Another reason is that even if the device resets
    > (Treos are known for
    > this, unfortunately), Yahoo! Messenger can (and
    > does) automatically
    > register to receive SMS messages on reset startup so
    > you need to do
    > nothing and you will still get messages.
    >
    > Lastly, SMS is very asynchronous on the Treo and
    > this allows you to send
    > and receive messages smoothly.
    > I don't know what carrier you use, but AT&T/Cingular
    > offer unlimited
    > INCOMING SMS plans. Since we don't use SMS for
    > outgoing messages, this
    > should cost you nothing. Also, I know that Verizon
    > offers 300 SMS
    > messages (average of 10 per day) for free on most
    > plans, and offers
    > 1,000 SMS message (30 per day) for less than 10
    > dollars.

I had emailed saying it was probably a shame for those who pay for unlimited data. I also mentioned I've used MunduIm without ever missing a message.. Oh, well.

Luckilly, I still have AT&T which has unlimited incoming, but who knows about the future.

Beantown - you should email the developer, he is very responsive... I've used it on both the 600 and 650 without any resets, FYI
  18.    #38  
    The current version only uses SMS to send messages to the Treo (it does not use SMS to send messages from the Treo). A future build will make this an option. SMS was chosen due to its speed and reliability even when there is weak or no data coverage.
  19.    #39  
    Everything goes directly to Yahoo! servers. Nothing comes to me.
  20.    #40  
    The leftmost button will take you back to the friend list without closing the conversation. All contacts in the messenger tab with open conversations are listed first, so you can easily get back. FYI, a quick search feature will be coming soon.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast