1.    #1  
    Excited with the advent of Java for my phone, I loaded webviewer only to find it was slower than Blazer....

Whats going on here? Webviewer used to be the SH$T back in the day on the 600... Myabe their proxy servers are bogged down now....

Quote Originally Posted by dcopperfield
    Excited with the advent of Java for my phone, I loaded webviewer only to find it was slower than Blazer....

Whats going on here? Webviewer used to be the SH$T back in the day on the 600... Myabe their proxy servers are bogged down now....

Precisely .. sprints proxy server is much faster when you are on vision then any other proxy anywhere
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Dcopperfield, was wondering if you can tell my how you got the new version of Java to install on your 650? I downloaded it last night from Palmsource but have been unable to install it on my treo. please help. Thanks alot. I want to test Webviewer also
    I don't think it's Webviewer. I think it's the JVM. I haven't loaded the new jVM yet, but webviewer with the old JVM is still faster than Blazer. It just doesn't work very well.

IBM strikes again.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    see my post in the thread yesterday for how I installed the neW java. Search advanced for "java" and user "dutchtrumpet"
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I don't think it's Webviewer. I think it's the JVM. I haven't loaded the new jVM yet, but webviewer with the old JVM is still faster than Blazer. It just doesn't work very well.

IBM strikes again.

That sucks! Do all java midlets perform slower or is it just webviewer? I'm just wondering if this apparent lack of performance is webviewer specifc or across the board for all java apps?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I've given up with trying to access the Internet on the 650 because it's so slow. I try to check scores at ESPN.com and it's faster to find a TV and watch Sports Center. What's up with that?
    Dont go to espn.com. It will be slow..Use their pda formated site instead.
    http://proxy.espn.go.com/wireless/espn/html/pocketpc

www.pdaportal.com is a great resource for these specially formatted sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by piercedhusker
    I've given up with trying to access the Internet on the 650 because it's so slow. I try to check scores at ESPN.com and it's faster to find a TV and watch Sports Center. What's up with that?
    It's a phone and you should be using mobile formated sites. Pdaportal is a good resource. Also checkout sites like http://www.skweezer.net/ that use 3rd party proxies to really speed up browsing...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Thanks guys. I'll give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    That sucks! Do all java midlets perform slower or is it just webviewer? I'm just wondering if this apparent lack of performance is webviewer specifc or across the board for all java apps?
    I suspect it's going to be all apps, but I won't have time to mess with the new JVM until the weekend. I began to worry when P1 started referring to it as Websphere Everyplace. Websphere is a lot more than just a JVM, and I suspect IBM loaded this up with a bunch of functionality we don't really need.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I'll check that one out. I've been using http://eboogie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mobileman
    Dont go to espn.com. It will be slow..Use their pda formated site instead.
    http://proxy.espn.go.com/wireless/espn/html/pocketpc

www.pdaportal.com is a great resource for these specially formatted sites.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I suspect it's going to be all apps, but I won't have time to mess with the new JVM until the weekend. I began to worry when P1 started referring to it as Websphere Everyplace. Websphere is a lot more than just a JVM, and I suspect IBM loaded this up with a bunch of functionality we don't really need.

Hmmm... has anyone tried overclocking the JVM on the Treo via PXA clocker? I wonder if this could make a major difference when using midlets? Thus if the Webviewer proxy is not the bottleneck, then overclocking should solve the problem...