Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I received my 650 about two weeks ago and I am very pleased with it and how it has improved my productivity. I have been a Palm user for about 5 years (Vx and Visor DLX) so it was not much of a transition. I am a moderately competent user of Outlook and use it as a daily working tool. I don't utillize categories much and notes almost not at all. E-mail setup went easily also.

So with very little effort on my part this wonderful little device was doing everything for me I wanted it to do. No problems with sound quality on either end, just great performance all around.

I loaded pocket tunes and about 500mb of music, bought the seidio earbuds and now I listen to music on my flights.

I guess my only complaint is I expected more problems after lurking on this list for about two weeks prior to purchasing the 650. I even took complaints about the oem contacts, tasks, and calendar to heart. So I tried Datebook5 but it wouldn't run without causing significant delays switching between applications, Agendus - nice but really doesn't offer any increase infunctionality for me, and lastly Beyond Contacts - wouldn't dial from it's contact database even after configuring the conduit. Besides Beyond Contacts took almost 5mb of internal memory.

It finjally dawned on me that all these thrid party apps are interesting but they just don't really seem to add much value for me. I believe my usage pattern is pretty typical of the vast majority of users, they want the convenience of a smartphone and really just need it to integrate the functions relatively seamlessly. I think P1 hit the mark. Does it satisfy every power user and techno geek out there out of the box? No, but if it did it would probably be too complicated and expensive for the rest of us.

It appears to me most of the problems people are having are related to third party apps and conflicts thay may have with other apps or third party hardware. In other words, the trauma is self-induced.

This morning I gave up on all thrid party apps with the exception po ptunes (it plays ogg RP doesn't), Power Run and Butler. For the rest of it, what P1 sold me works as advertised and works well enough for me.

Just my 2cents.

Roger
    I have been waiting to upgrade to something beyond my T600 (either PPC or 650) and this discussion helps. My friend has the 650 and he is very much a novice. He has had no issues with it mainly because he has not put any third party apps on his as well.

I think the problem that most users have is that we aren't novices. We do some research, find some 3rd party apps that we need and then run into problems.

I am glad that it is working for you...its working for my friend as well.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I'm with you. Because I'm still waiting for a Tmo T650, I'm compelled to check out these threads and take note of all the negative cr..p that a lot of users are complaining about. Like you said, I also think that most of them are the result of third party software. (I've experienced this from my current Treo 600 and wasted money buying software and deleting them after a few weeks)

I know about the sound quality, echo, memory, speakerphone, etc. etc. But hey before I got my Treo 600 last year, everybody was also complaining about these same issues. They even complained about the stylus being too thin! So I went ahead and upgraded to the Treo 600 from the T270 anyway and I've been very satisfied with it. I had to get it replaced a few times but it's covered by warranty, who cares. I was already convinced that Handspring had poor quality control on their products. On a side note though, some of my friends have also replaced their PPC's a few times before they upgraded to new models.

When I get my T650 (most likely a Cinglular unit) I hope to match your observations and unless I get a defective unit, I'm sure I will continue to enjoy my Treo. This is the best smartphone out there and being a Realtor, my Treo is pretty much my remote office anytime anywhere.
    Last edited by Treo Rat; 01/29/2005 at 01:18 PM.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    My experience has been mostly positive as well and I agree about third-party apps. Sometimes Blazer resets. I expect PalmOne will offer patches soon enough.

Tom
    I have/had he Treo 600 and the 650. Could not ask for a better convergence device. Full function cell phone and a portable secretary all in one. Yes, there are devices that do the same thing, but not in the same size. I love my Treo 650!!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    I'm in the same camp as you guys. The "stock" features work for me, and I will likely install very little third party apps. Maybe a few games here and there, a work out log, simple stuff, but nothing like date book, etc. For people like me, I'm guessing the 650 does enough and does it well, that the multiple problems documented on the site won't be an issue. I do, however, believe that P1 must have known that a sizeable portion of 650 users would do a lot more with the device than just use the built in tools. It's no secret that there are tons of third party software available for the OS and yet they seemingly put the device out on the market without identifying and fixing what appear to be consistent problems in certain areas. Hard to reach that happy medium where everyone's happy, but they could have tried a little harder. Looking forward to receiving my VC 650!
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    I'm in full agreement, but I have one gripe about the Contacts applet. Sometimes I want to search for a contact but all I remember is the company name and not the person. A few times I just included the company name in the listing and then put the person's name in the attached note with some other comments. Anyone else find this annoying?
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
    I would think that this is where you'd use the find feature!

Tom
    I was looking at the 650 for the last month or two and finally bought one. Actually got a returned unti from Frye's for $499 minus the $150 rebate - not bad. A few initial comments - very pleased with how easy it was to set-up - it just works. I am able to do E-mail on my home POP3 account as well as my business account. Only issue is that it seems that that particular computer must be running in order to do E-mail. My home E-mail works fine at all times - of course my home PC is always on. My business E-mail seems to work while my business PC is connected to the network. Am I missing something?

Another observation - I'm not sure how to turn this bad boy off? I can turn the phone off but the green LED still blinks.

I'm sure I'll have more comments as I get into it more but any replies would be greatly appreciated. I did order the free 128MB SD card from Palmone - is 128MB enough for a newbie?
    Quote Originally Posted by rharper
    So I tried Datebook5 but it wouldn't run without causing significant delays switching between applications
    Did you use the 650-specific version of DateBk5? I have not experienced any delays using it.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Joe, a 128mb card should be enough if you dont plan on having a lot of mp3's or if you dont plan on watching any movies on it. With the hires 650 screen, you have to give it a try.
    rharper,
    What do PowerRun and Butler do for you that you think is so worthwhile??
    I agree, btw, about searching company names.

often that is how I know a "contact." I just do business w/ a company.

for now I have multiple separate contacts entries for a single business.

and, I must remember an individuals name when I'm really thinking about the co. I want to call...

not optimal.
    "I am Scorch
    ...and i approve this message!"
    TechProsSD - Computer Repair San Diego
    Thanks for the reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught
    rharper,
    What do PowerRun and Butler do for you that you think is so worthwhile??
    I second that question. If you don't use thirdparty apps, what do you use PowerRun for?!?
  16.    #16  
    At the time I was experimenting with 3rd party apps Power Run was useful. I am keeping it around to move documents to my card or apps in the future. Butler is useful for the alarm function. I don't have to depend upon a wake-up call when I am traveling.

roger
    Isn't that what the alarm in the included World Clock is for?

I suppose I'm biased because I write software manuals for a living, but that book included with a (Sprint) Treo has all of this info and more!

Tom
  18.    #18  
    You're right it does. I just missed it. Also got caught up in hype by other Butler users.

BTW, the manual is pretty good. I have been able to find answers to most of my questions.

Roger
    Hi Roger,

I find Beyond Contacts to be very useful. I have it update the internal contacts DB so I can dial using my contact list.

What I find very useful about Beyond Contacts is the ability to have multiple addresses for each contact and to have multiple contact folders. The standard contact app in the 650 (and really any Palm based unit) cannot handle, natively, the Outlook contacts.

I agree though and passed on some of the other 3rd party apps people have recommended. My 650 is ery stable and works like a charm.

And I too have had my 650 for 2 full weeks.

Take care,

Quote Originally Posted by rharper
    ... and lastly Beyond Contacts - wouldn't dial from it's contact database even after configuring the conduit. Besides Beyond Contacts took almost 5mb of internal memory.

Roger
    Morning,

I have the 650 and the following apps.

Docs to Go (came bundled)
    Beyond Contacts (from DataViz)
    Passwords Plus (from DataViz)
    SmartList (from DataViz)
    DayNotez (like a day journal)
    ZLauncher (zztechs)
    BackupBuddy (should be considered essential - I use the Pro version)
    Reminder (freeware)
    MoonPhase (freeware)
    mRing (you can do most of the same with system apps)
    YAtzee (freeware game)

Everything here has been on my system for 1 1/2 weeks and no resets that I can remember. None for the last week certainly.

Of these, I consider BackupBuddy, ZLauncher and the DataViz apps to be essential for ME. Especially the PasswordPlus application. It keeps my sensitive information encrypted but close at hand. Before I would have used memos marked as private and a unit password. For me this works better.

Some 3rd party apps are still very unstable on the 650, evidence by people having to do resets and restores. The only time I had to use BackupBuddy was the morning after I bought it and tried to sync with the work computer (I sync 2 computers) and I trashed my address book. Without a good backup I would have had problems.

There is nothing wrong with the built-in apps if they meet the needs desired. For me, I have some specific needs and the software I have assembled solves my problems.

One thing, get the largest SD card you can afford (or your friend can afford). It will come in handy.

Take care,

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I have been waiting to upgrade to something beyond my T600 (either PPC or 650) and this discussion helps. My friend has the 650 and he is very much a novice. He has had no issues with it mainly because he has not put any third party apps on his as well.

I think the problem that most users have is that we aren't novices. We do some research, find some 3rd party apps that we need and then run into problems.

I am glad that it is working for you...its working for my friend as well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast