Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Just saw that Java for the 650 has been released, the following was part of the Palm Developer email which was sent out tonight.
    Bring on the Java Apps! (Of course, you'll have to fit them in the little RAM available).
    You might need to sign up as a developer to download the file.
    From Palm:
    We are pleased to announce that Java for the Treo 650 and Tungsten T5 is here! The WebSphere Everyplace Micro Environment Toolkit v5.7.1 for Palm OS Garnet is now available from PalmSource, Inc. Registered Palm OS developers can download the JVM and toolkit at http://www.palmos.com/dev/tech/java/. Please note that the Websphere Everyplace Micro Environment 5.7.1 JVM supports the Treo 600 and Treo 650 smartphones, and the Tungsten E, Tungsten C, Tungsten T3, Tungsten T5, and Zire 72 handhelds from palmOne.
    Unfortunately, the PalmOne support page still reads:

WebSphere Everyplace Micro Environment 5.7 for the Tungsten T5 and Treo 650 will available for download soon. We estimate software release in February 2005. Please check back on this page on or after 2/1/05.
    With the developer's release now official, perhaps an end user release is not far behind.
    Any way for us Mac users to install this?
    I dabble in palm development... I have a dev account on Palm Source. I really like Java so I got it. I do not think that Treo users will appreciate the footprint... see attached image. Someone would have to make a killer app in Java for the memory hit to be palatable. (VOIP?)

EDIT:
    Dood, never mind. I am doing fifty things at once. This download is the developers version so
    A) it has debugging symbol.
    B) it has lots of other crap... I think the J9JavaVMMidp20.prc is the only runtime stuff you need... even that probably has some debugging stuff...

The real IBM Java Websphere magic is in the JARtoPRC tool that comes with the SDK.

Still I am interested in the VOIP stuff. but i got a nine-to-five. (actually 10-7, 12-2 but whose counting)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmcc; 01/29/2005 at 12:01 AM. Reason: I was wrong!
    Slightly OT:
    I was wondering if anyone knows about the availability of Java on the PocketPC platform. In my mind, PalmOS and PocketPC are the future of mobile information devices. (please offera differing opinons if you posses one.) I was going to get the Garnet and Cobalt SDK and brush off my PalmProgramming chops. The last time I used wrote palm code was when Palm OS 3.5 was bleeding edge baby!

Now I am thinking, I know Java well and if java continues to move with the Palm OS releases and also with PocketPC releases, why learn PalmOS? speed? (they keep putting faster processors in these devices) the processor in my phone today (Treo 650) is faster and has more ram that my first desktop!!!
    reliabilty? the apps we use now are probably written use the palm SDKs, nuff said.

So If one were to learn Java would it port over to the PocketPC platform... as well as move forward with PalmOS releases.
    Awesome...I installed it with the new psi file and the package installer on the treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcc
    Slightly OT:
    I was wondering if anyone knows about the availability of Java on the PocketPC platform. In my mind, PalmOS and PocketPC are the future of mobile information devices. (please offera differing opinons if you posses one.) I was going to get the Garnet and Cobalt SDK and brush off my PalmProgramming chops. The last time I used wrote palm code was when Palm OS 3.5 was bleeding edge baby!

Now I am thinking, I know Java well and if java continues to move with the Palm OS releases and also with PocketPC releases, why learn PalmOS? speed? (they keep putting faster processors in these devices) the processor in my phone today (Treo 650) is faster and has more ram that my first desktop!!!
    reliabilty? the apps we use now are probably written use the palm SDKs, nuff said.

So If one were to learn Java would it port over to the PocketPC platform... as well as move forward with PalmOS releases.

Check this out:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...b8c0ccd8240d13

and

http://blog.vikdavid.com/2005/01/java_on_pocketp.html

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    O.K., I downloaded the new Java from Palmsource. Now i'm having trouble opening the psi files can anybody give a step by step? I'm anxious to try Reqwireless Webviewer on my 650.
    I had trouble also. I sent the file to my 650 from an SD card in my wife's 650 via filez/send/bluetooth. It unpacked pefectly. Pretty cool
    can someone see if they can convert and run this?

http://java.pcslab.com/sta_java/sams...mobitv-v23.jad
    wow...I download that file with blaer and was recognized as a jar file. opened java in apps and it installed the file from balzer/temp. Didn't like the security certificate and trashed it at the end though. Can anyonehack the certificate?
    Am I missing something. I can't install Java on my 650. The manual only specifies installing J9JavaVMMidp20.prc and J9Pref.prc. I then installed the Golf tracker sample but it says file to view this is missing.
    see my post about using the new package installer. couple of posts back
    Sorry to be naive but which is the PSI and package installer?
    I beg to differ with the first post and couldn't get the new java to install on the T600, the documentation reads that it is for OS 5.4
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I still havent been able to install it on the treo650. Is dutchtrumpet the only person to get it to work? According to his post he sent the file from one 650 to another via bluetooth (he has 2 650's) thereby upacking the file? I only have one 650 is there another workaround?
    did you try this
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I was able to install just fine using the PSI. I hotsynched the psi installer, then emailed the java file to myself, downloaded it via versamail, and it installed with no hassles.
    Any advantage to this version? I've been using the 600 java on my 650 and it seems to work ok.

DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by dj81462
    Any advantage to this version? I've been using the 600 java on my 650 and it seems to work ok.

DJ
    I haven't used the old one in a while. The new one has a setting in "IBM Java VM" in system prefs for hi-res. I don't remember this setting before. Makes webviewer look much better.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast