View Poll Results: Was native Bluetooth important to you in deciding to buy a 650?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I expected to able to use it for DUN.

57 48.72%
  • Yes, native Bluetooth was important, but not for DUN.

44 37.61%
  • Not at all.

16 13.68%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been told I'm a moron for thinking that Bluetooth was a major selling point for the 650. I'd like to know just how much a moron I am. I mean, I already know that I'm pretty moronic, but it would be nice to be able to describe it with statistics.
    Last edited by MacJunkie; 01/28/2005 at 04:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I suppose that Bluetooth is the second major selling point, with the hi-res screen being first. Don't think you're a moron though, Bluetooth maybe pesky, but it is cool. I'd just like to get a hold of an un-branded un-crippled 650 at a discount because I have owned so many Treos!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  3.    #3  
    Nice MINI, z3bum. Here's mine... click here
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Bluetooth was #1 for me because of my 2004 Acura TL. Bluetooth in a phone is a requirement. So, I was very excited when Palm released the patch before Christmas! I hope they can update it again so the Treo passes signal strength to the MID.

Joe
    Trying to attach a picture of my Mini but it's not working.

Want to stand in solidarity with my Mini brothers and sisters.

How do you do it?

sjh
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It worked!!!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by prairiefire
    It worked!!!
    Worked just fine. Very sleek MINI....very very nice.
    Bluetooth is a nice feature, I just wish the signal was stronger for headsets. I hate that stupid static that occures in my house when using my bt headset.
    I cant believe how hot mine gets when using the bluespoon digital for a long period (the phone not the headset) !

Anyone else notice this?
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by MacJunkie
    I have been told I'm a moron for thinking that Bluetooth was a major selling point for the 650. I'd like to know just how much a moron I am. I mean, I already know that I'm pretty moronic, but it would be nice to be able to describe it with statistics.
    Do a poll on how much of a factor it was, not so much was it a factor.
    It was no deal breaker for me, but I would like the treo650 to have it, just like Wi-Fi.

You say you thought it was a major selling point, yet the poll just asks if it was important. These are two different concepts IMHO.

Was BT a major selling point for me-No
    Was it important-Yes, but so were 50 other things.

Anyway, I always like these polls, were is your wild card choice, like "Bannan Pudding"..LOL

I do admit that BT seems more important to the general person then I htough it would be.
  11.    #11  
    Here's the statement I built the poll around...

"I don't think that people are clamoring for a phone that can be used as a Bluetooth modem outside of business users and techies."

What I wanted to show was that Bluetooth is an important feature to many (if not the majority of) people who bought the 650 and furthermore that for those who felt native Bluetooth was important, the majority expected that wireless DUN would be a component of that. That expectation is the key for me. To disappointed consumers, it is irrelevant whether Sprint/PalmOne advertised a specific feature or not. Based upon their knowledge of a specific technology in a product, consumers have an expectation of what functionality will be delivered by the product. The company doesn't have to say "can connect wirelessly to your computers, to other PDAs, to handsfree headsets" etc. They just say "has Bluetooth", knowing that the people for whom that means something will fill in the blanks themselves.

To the writer's credit, he seemed to realize the potential folly of this statement when he later observed correctly that "business users and techies" are exactly the primary target populations for this device.

Finally, I will point out that I have now had a total of eight Sprint PCS store employees (four in person at my local store and four on the phone at other stores in the region) tell me that the Treo 650 supports native Bluetooth DUN out of the box. I have since told three of the employees at my local store that they are handing out incorrect information and that the 650 does not, in fact, support native Bluetooth DUN out of the box. Two of them were very surprised to learn this. The third refused to believe me, asking rhetorically, "why would they make a Bluetooth smartphone and not have it able to be used as a modem?"

Why, indeed.
    Last edited by MacJunkie; 01/28/2005 at 09:30 PM.
  12.    #12  
    To be sure that I am not misunderstood, I am not accusing anyone of malfeasance here. I don't think Sprint is telling its employees to lie to customers about what the phone can do. (If I believed that, I would have cancelled my plan and Verizonized my phone in an instant.) And since there are other Sprint phones which do support native BT DUN, I buy Sprint's explanation that the feature was disabled because of bugginess and not out of a desire to force us into buying PCMCIA cards and expensive data-only plans.

Simply put, stuff (especially expensive stuff) should not be released before it is ready. The 650 plainly wasn't quite ready yet. The endless discussions had on this board are the result of that hastiness, whatever its origin. Despite all my griping, I love this little device and all it can do...but that is only because I am able to hack the hell out of it until it does all the things I reasonably expected it to do out of the box.

Also, Sprint SHOULD be making sure that its employees are giving out correct info. For some users, the BT DUN feature may very well be a "make or break feature", and they deserve to have accurate information.
    I don't have much use for BT DUN, but I like using a BT headset, and possibly a BT keyboard and mouse. Speaking of BT headsets, I received my Scala 500 today, and I can honestly say I was disappointed. It paired ok, but both the ear piece and mic are noisy, meaning, both parties can hear a lot of static. Also, the flashing blue and red lights never stop, even 20 minutes after I hang up.

The Scala is going back, and I'm keeping my Moto HS810 because at least with this the mic sound is very clean acording to people I call. The flashing blue light (no red) goes out after about 5 minutes.

Another nice thing about the Moto is that to turn it off all you have to do is fold the boom mic, not press some wheel for so many seconds and watch for lights flash and to go out.
  14.    #14  
    Keep those votes coming, people.
    The blue light is not supposed to stop. It tells you it is charged and is functioning. I have been using one for two weeks now. No static on either end. I have used it in buildings, but I primarily used it in the car.

Cougar
    Bluetooth is a big consideration to me. I tend to use my cell phones a lot in the car and use a Jabra headset and voice dialing a lot.

I also wanted th ability to tether -- in those rare occasions where I need to go online and can't get a WiFi or wired signal.

I'm really disappointed ATT has disabled parts of the Bluetooth. It was a stupid thing to do because for some of use these are critical features.

I will also use Bluetooth to sync with my Macs but, from what I understand, those functions work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar
    The blue light is not supposed to stop. It tells you it is charged and is functioning. I have been using one for two weeks now. No static on either end. I have used it in buildings, but I primarily used it in the car.

Cougar
    On the Moto the blue light stops after 5 minutes in standby. But restarts if you use the phone to make/receive calls. The connection is not lost.

I don't need the headset to tell me that it's connected by way of flashing lights. My PPC6601 will show the headset icon to indicate the connection is valid. If the battery runs down in the headset I think you will get a warning-(beep + red light flash?)
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prairiefire
    Trying to attach a picture of my Mini but it's not working.

Want to stand in solidarity with my Mini brothers and sisters.

How do you do it?

sjh

Mini Treo 650ers unite!!! Did you see that Bluetooth is beginning to come throught on the newest 2005's?

I have a 2004 MCS JCW - CPR/B.
    http://members.roadfly.org/bmargolis/mc2.jpg
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmargolis
    Mini Treo 650ers unite!!! Did you see that Bluetooth is beginning to come throught on the newest 2005's?

I have a 2004 MCS JCW - CPR/B.
    Very niiiice! JCW really makes that car sing!

Have you MINI owners been over to bimmerfest.com? Great place...

SteveH
    '04 BMW 330cic - a MAXI I guess
    I don't even like bluetooth. Until they improve security I will never use it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast