Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How many of you have drilled a reset hole through the cover?

My 650 hangs and needs to be reset so often that I'm sick and tired of removing the battery cover. Ii drilled a hole through the battery cover for the reset tool from the 600 (requires a smaller hole), which has been moved to the top of the stylus. The tip of the stylus has a refillable pen insert for writing. When I need to do a reset, I don't need to pull the stylus all the way out, just part way to unscrew the reset tool, poke it through the hole and that's it. I have sharpened tip of the top of the stylus for use as a stylus for touchscreen use when necessary. Soft and hard resets are much faster now and a little more bearable.

The next thing I'll do is make a hole through my cradle so I don't have to pop the 650 out of the cradle each time to do a reset.
    This is the number one design flaw in the 650.

Pulling of a case and batt. cover to reset (which happens often enough), completely blows.

I really wish they could explain some thinking about why they did that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    This is the number one design flaw in the 650.

Pulling of a case and batt. cover to reset (which happens often enough), completely blows.

I really wish they could explain some thinking about why they did that.
    Exactly. And its on the opposite side as the 600. I could kind of understand if they just got lazy and used the same mold, and then discovered "Ooops!" But this was deliberately put there.

Luckily, my 650 knows of my frustration with this flaw/feature, and will often take the initiative and reset on it's own.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I hope some company out there (Seidio?) would make a battery cover with a reset hole for the Treo 650, including some padding underneath the cover to prevent any rattling. I'm sure these would sell pretty well.
    ZLauncher gives you the ability to do a soft reset via a shortcut keystroke or from the Device drop-down menu. This has been especially useful for times when the device wasn't hung but needed a reset due to hung software (i.e. PDANET).
    Quote Originally Posted by TnRealtor
    ZLauncher gives you the ability to do a soft reset via a shortcut keystroke or from the Device drop-down menu. This has been especially useful for times when the device wasn't hung but needed a reset due to hung software (i.e. PDANET).

Good point, TnRealtor, and welcome to TC!
    Quote Originally Posted by TnRealtor
    Not trying to knock Zlauncher, but LauncherX and SilverScreen do this as well. Probably most 3rd party launchers for that matter.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Not trying to knock Zlauncher, but LauncherX and SilverScreen do this as well. Probably most 3rd party launchers for that matter.
    Umm...but if the problem is a hanging Treo, how will these programs help?
    They don't.
    I think most of the Treo 650 resets are NVFS management problems. The memory in this phone is just too darn constricted. A few programs in memory and it starts to act weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    You could try Hi-Launcher. On the 600 at least, it will pop up the menu under some circumstances when the device is hung and the Home button doesn't work. You can then soft reset as long as you've added that option to the menu.
    Yes all this software can soft reset BUT there are MANY times when the Treo freezes & requires a poke to the hole to reset. This is especially annoying with the skin case. I have to peel of the damn skin every time I need to do this. Now my dang skin is all stretched out..
    I believe shadowmite drilled hole in his cover for resets.
  14.    #14  
    The reset switch should be accessable without taking the case off, therefore it must be accessable from the front or the top of the 650. A reset hole can be located between "R" and "T" buttons for example. A better idea is a magnetic reed switch accesable from the front or top of the 650, the magnet to do the reset would be located on the stylus.
    I'm curious about something. I get the general feeling that you folks who need to reset a lot are using programs that replace functions that the Treo already has... like launchers, calendars, programs to put files on the card... is this true for you? Also, did you not know the device already does what you bought this program for, or do you just like to customize?

I also noticed this with Sony Clie users too. For me, it's important to me to make sure that I thoroughly understand how the device works before I try to modify it. So far I have loaded three applications and I rarely reset. Be nice when PalmOne will release a patched OS, VersaMail, and Blazer... but even still, these work most of the time.

My applications I have added are QuikBudget and Kinoma. For everything else so far, I use the installed apps.

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob

For that you need an freeware app like Crash Pro :

You do not need a reset pin or paper clip to reset your device, Crash will do this work for you - automatically. No more battery draining if a crash happens while you are away. No more frantic searches for a reset pin. No more the need to remove your PDA from its case.

Crash will display an image during the crash, making it look less frightening and hopefully will induce less stress.
    http://www.79bmedia.de/content/view/17/46/

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Even "clean" Treos with no third party apps suffer from resets and hangs.

It's not a 3rd party issue (in 95% of the cases).

Drilling a hole in the case...argh.
    gfunkmagic...that app looks cool...how good is it...when the treo locks up (ie freezes) it still works?
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    gfunkmagic...that app looks cool...how good is it...when the treo locks up (ie freezes) it still works?
    I haven't used it yet on my 650 so I don't know if it's fully compatible yet. There used to be a freeware version called Crash, but I can't find it anymore. Now I guess they just offer the shareware version... In anycase, CrashPro is supposed to intercept crash on your palmos device, show a screen informing you that your Palm has crashed or hung up, and then automatically soft reset your Treo for you with out having to pull out your reset pin...

In addition there is also another freeware app called ResetEmu which can send every installed application a certain launch code to test whether it crashes. This way you can test which app on your treo might be causing it to reset...

http://palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseac...1&prodID=12416

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Actually i downloaded Crash about a few mins ago for my Treo 600...and well then i put it to work pounding the crap out of the treo....on the SMS crash that i get...it would behave nicely...but when say i was doing too many things at once on the treo..Ie what i did was open Blazer...go to one page, then stop it abruptly open the bookmarks go to another page...stop before it even started...etc etc...and all that happend was a white screen popped up...Crash did not restart the machine at all...and i had to take out the stylus

EDIT: I also got ResetEMU as you posted (well got it from the same site as Crash)...and after running 3 reset tests, it still didnt pick up the SMS crash bug LOL

EDIT #2: I went to run ResetEMU again, and it keeps on prompting me to do a Warm Reset before to run the test...i do it, and it still asks for a warm reset :P
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast