Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Here's the pic:

reset hole, modified 600 stylus with reset tool and pen, leash.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Newtreouser - that looks pretty clean. Do I see some hole filler around the place you drilled? How close to you get to the reset switch?

Any advice on how you found the right place to drill? "Measure twice, drill one"

One more question - what stylus fits in the T650 and has a reset pin? I have a pack of T650 replacement stylus from P1 that have the pen tips. When I unscrewer the top I did not find any reset pin. Did you switch the top from another stylus?
    Last edited by swieder; 03/26/2005 at 12:34 PM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    I wish some enterprising people will sell 3rd party battery covers with the reset hole.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    On the inside of my battery cover I have a small number "1". Using a measuring tape I determined the "1" is directly over the reset hole. My fiancee drilled a small hole right into the "1" and it is perfect. My new skin will now not be a problem. (If it ever arrives from Boxwave) Does anyone else have a number inside their battery cover or was I just lucky?
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Hey, great find! I just looked at my cover and also saw a "1" which I think is exactly in the spot where the reset hole would be if drilled. I am too afraid to drill a hole coz I don't have the proper equipment to do so.
    The Doctor is IN!
  6.    #46  
    There's no filler. I heated up the blunt end of a drill bit and pushed it through. What you see is the artifact of the melted plastic. I actually made the hole slightly off to the side so that I can reset without taking it out of my custom cradle with audio out/ USB sync and charge.

The stylus is a modified 600 stylus. If anyone want their cover drilled (with a tiny hole), and want a modified 600 stylus with reset tool and refillable pen to go with it. send me your cover and some $ and I will send it back to you drilled and include a modified 600 stylus just like what you see in the pic. It's a great combo and having a pen is really handy. I use it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    Newtreouser - that looks pretty clean. Do I see some hole filler around the place you drilled? How close to you get to the reset switch?

Any advice on how you found the right place to drill? "Measure twice, drill one"

One more question - what stylus fits in the T650 and has a reset pin? I have a pack of T650 replacement stylus from P1 that have the pen tips. When I unscrewer the top I did not find any reset pin. Did you switch the top from another stylus?
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    newtreouser, maybe if you get some "spare" battery covers, you can be in business.
    Last edited by DocGo; 03/27/2005 at 08:59 AM.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Here was my approach for getting the hole location perfectly accurate. First, I love the tiny hole approach by newtreouser. But I wanted to be able to use the standard stylus.

Tools Needed:
    Drill press
    Form material (I used styrofoam)
    Assorted clamps
    9/64" bit (exact size for standard stylus)

Step 1: Cut a form to size for the Treo. (Rough cut is OK. The goal is to keep the location fixed between Steps 2 and 5.)

Step 2: Remove the rear cover. Set the Treo into the form and put the form/Treo on the drill platform. (Put a slip of paper under everything to protect the face of the Treo.)

Step 3: With the drill off, lower the bit down to the reset button. Now clamp down the form in place. Double check everthing, especially the drill alignment to the reset button.

Step 4: Put the rear cover on. (And remove the stylus. It runs too close to where the hole will be drilled.)

Step 5: Drill the hole. (Easy does it. Go a little, then check the depth. You want to barely penetrate through.)

This took me about 20 minutes grand total. The hole is perfectly aligned. And it is a perfect circle when viewed from directly above.

http://users.adelphia.net/~edsworkbench/Treo/1.JPG
    http://users.adelphia.net/~edsworkbench/Treo/2.JPG
    http://users.adelphia.net/~edsworkbench/Treo/3.JPG
    http://users.adelphia.net/~edsworkbench/Treo/4.JPG
    http://users.adelphia.net/~edsworkbench/Treo/5.JPG
  9.    #49  
    SoCalSienna, nice photos. Your method is the best. Kudos to you. Man that hole is huge! extra ventilation I suppose.

Even if a drill press is not available, the same idea can be used (with some improvising)to mark the cover before drilling.
    It's also a good idea to tape the drill area with masking tape prior to drilling to prevent the plastic from chipping away.
    Thanks for this thread and pics as I dread removing my skin to do a reset. I'm not experienced with power tools though so would a manual tool or wood burner work?
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    That was cool, but hugely complicated. My fiancee drilled right through the "1" and there it was. He kind of got irritated with me because I was freaking out, worrying about the pristine condition of "my baby." He just rolled his eyes, grabbed it and disappeared. Next thing I knew, he was back with a perfect hole. He is in construction, though.
    I should add (to all the Treo bashers) that after all this, I have not had to reset my Treo in about 3 weeks. No random resets either. Just a little parental pride!

She says while crossing fingers, crossing toes, knocking on wood...
    Woah... that's a big honk'n hole man!
    3 things:
    1. OK, decent solution, I'll place the design flaw on www.treo650update.com 's 'Cons' page.
    2. If you keep the 650 in a case, that means you probably want to drill a hole through that too?
    3. If you live/operate in a salty or wet/corrosive environment this modification is out of the question as the battery terminals will self destruct pretty quickly. (no matter what your circumstances, I'd keep that hole as small as possible).

Good Thread.
    Since I'd like to try this again, with a smaller hole this time, does anyone know where you can get replacement battery covers for the T650? They aren't obviously listed on PalmOne's site....
    Interesting, I just took my cover off of my Treo and found the number "2", not the "1" that others found.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    mine also has a 2
    Thankfully I have had only 1 reset since upgrading te firmware on my GSM phone. I would also have to punch a hole in the EB leather case to match the hole that I wouldhave to drill in the cover in the number "2" position.

For now I am sticking to software resets that are easy to do with Zlauncher.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I guess the number inside the battery cover shouldn't really matter, but it's puzzling me. I use a skin case and did not cut a hole in it because of the potential for dust and such to enter the battery compartment. The skin is stretchy enough to just push the stylus in. It's not a big hole though.
    Does the 2 seem to be positioned where the reset button is or a completely different location? Are the 2 covers on Sprint phones?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast