Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Freeware Crash. I havent used it before but thought I would post it since it was being discussed... Thanks gfunk, I never knew it existed!

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/crash.shtml

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Crash will not solve the problem on the Treo 650. On the Treo 300 & 600, some error message would pop on the screen with a reset button you could tap to reset it. Crash would intercept this message & soft reset it. This is NOT the case with the Treo 650. It no longer has these error messages with the reset button. It now goes into a white screen of death or a freeze. NO software can reset out of this that I know of.
    On a tangent for that "Crash" app, for PocketPC's, I have this app called "Soft Reset" that allows you to soft reset a PPC by just selecting the program. I wonder if a Palm equal exists? It wouldn't help in lockup type situations, but it would be better than nothing - it would be useful in at least some situations.
    funny treoneo..if you read my post when i tested crash, quite a few times i got the white screen of limbo on my treo 600 testing it out
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    ...Luckily, my 650 knows of my frustration with this flaw/feature, and will often take the initiative and reset on it's own.
    me to

Some apps have built in reset feature like "Cleanup" which has a reset feature .
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    On a tangent for that "Crash" app, for PocketPC's, I have this app called "Soft Reset" that allows you to soft reset a PPC by just selecting the program. I wonder if a Palm equal exists? It wouldn't help in lockup type situations, but it would be better than nothing - it would be useful in at least some situations.
    As already noted before in this thread, this exists for Palm, and has for many years. Many (most?) folks use a program launcher replacement that has this feature built in to it. In addition, a number of utilities exist for this giving various options when you select the app for a soft reset.
    zlauncher took care of my memory problems straightaway...i crash twice a month maybe, and usally cause i'm up to no good

as bad as the battery cover problem is to reset the palm, is anyone praising the fact we dont have to unsrew the tiny tip of the stylus to do it? (hi sony clie!) I hated that worse than anything...id rather undo the cover than unscrew the tiny tip
    There is a freeware program called Reset me made for the T600/650 from MTDN...
    Attached Files Attached Files
  9.    #29  
    I use Zauncher for soft resets. However, it does not work when the 650 hangs (quite often) or when I need to do a hard reset. A poke thru the hole in the cover does.
    Can anyone explain exactly how to determine where to drill the hole in the battery cover for the reset? Obviously I can sort of guess...just curious if anyone has a helpful way of making sure the hole lines up with the reset button...
  11.    #31  
    With battery cover removed, I used masking tape to spot a line x. Now note the reset switch position with respect to the stylus, put cover back on, eyeball it and use tape to spot the other line Y. Drill where x & y intersect.

I drilled a small hole for the 600 reset tool, not the 650 stylus which requires a humongus hole. I use a modified 600 stylus where the reset tool is moved to the head of the stylus and a pen insert replaced where the reset tool was.

It's been much less headachs to do a reset with the modifications I've made. Pull stylus partly out, unscrew reset tool, poke thru hole in cover, done. I can even do a reset while the 650 is seated in my custom Rosewood cradle.
    Newtreo - do you have any pics that you can show us of your modifications. I am thinking about drilling a hole in the battery cover and punching hole through my EB leather case.

I already punched one hole on the leather to get to the antenna jack. It looks fine once I got the right leather hole punch tool.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Well, I managed to drill a hole in my battery cover through which I can reset my Treo 650. While the hole is a bit unsightly, it's completely covered by my BoxWave silicone cover. Works pretty well. (I love the silicone skin case, but it was starting to get a little stretched out of shape from having to remove it to do resets...so this solution works pretty well...

(See attached picture...couldn't figure out how to insert the image directly in my post...)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks for the photo Argelius. I agree, it is unsightly.

Anyone else have a photo with a better hole? .. one that won't make me throw up?

newtreouser? Got a pic of your special stylus? and the hole?

Has anyone tried a paperclip-size hole? (to reset with a paper clip when available)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSienna
    Thanks for the photo Argelius. I agree, it is unsightly.

Anyone else have a photo with a better hole? .. one that won't make me throw up?

newtreouser? Got a pic of your special stylus? and the hole?

Has anyone tried a paperclip-size hole? (to reset with a paper clip when available)

The problem is figuring out how to precisely determine where to drill the hole. I used pieces of tape and tried very carefully to get it right...but guess it didn't work that well. Fortunately, with the skin case in place, you can't see it at all...
    I've had my Treo 650 about 3 weeks and haven't had to do a reset yet. But I'm curious
    I don't need to pull the stylus all the way out, just part way to unscrew the reset tool, poke it through the hole and that's it
    It's too much trouble to remove the cover but it's not too much trouble to pull a stylus out "part way", unscrew the reset tool, then screw it back in when complete. I bet most can remove the cover and reset while you are still unscrewing the tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Argelius
    The problem is figuring out how to precisely determine where to drill the hole. I used pieces of tape and tried very carefully to get it right...but guess it didn't work that well. Fortunately, with the skin case in place, you can't see it at all...
    Almost seems more trouble than it's worth.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  18.    #38  
    ipscone, you haven't taken the battery cover off yet I can tell, you don't know how akward it is... requiring 2 hands and fingernail. :-)Trust me, my setup is much easier and faster. I'll shoot some pics later.
    I don't actually find removing the battery cover that difficult, but as I mentioned previously, removing the silicone cover (by constantly stretching it to get it off), was the real issue...
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    ... what i did was open Blazer...go to one page, then stop it abruptly open the bookmarks go to another page...stop before it even started...
    Are you sure that your Treo really crashed? When Blazer gave me a blank screen and my Treo stopped responding to my button-presses, I used to think that my Treo had crashed, so I'd reboot it. But a few weeks ago, I needed to take a few minutes and do something else first -- and when I came back to my Treo, it was OK again.

Since then, I've found that when Blazer gives me a blank screen, it usually recovers if I wait long enough. On bigger computer systems, I've seen conditions under which certain web browsers would freeze temporarily while waiting for some kind of internal timeout -- so maybe this is something similar.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast