Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marc,

I'll probably try it (as well as pTunes deluxe/shoutcast) out if/when Verizon forces me onto a data plan, but I can't have an always-on app when I'm using plan minutes. That, and the fact that during the week I'm usually not away from my desk for significant periods of time makes push email a luxury rather than a necessity.

Thanks for the information, and I look forward to tracking it's development.
    Quote Originally Posted by wadeemmert
    I agree. My IT department opended the IMAP port. Now I am directly connected with Outlook. If I delete it on the Treo, it is deleted from my Inbox. I can also file messages away and it is reflected in Outlook. Excellent app!
    How can I tell if my corp. Exchange Server will allow me to use Chatter?
  3.    #23  
    Can you access it from outside of your office? If so, it probably does. You can always ask your IT person for the host address for IMAP access.

Marc
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    Marc,

I'll probably try it (as well as pTunes deluxe/shoutcast) out if/when Verizon forces me onto a data plan, but I can't have an always-on app when I'm using plan minutes. That, and the fact that during the week I'm usually not away from my desk for significant periods of time makes push email a luxury rather than a necessity.

Thanks for the information, and I look forward to tracking it's development.
    Pablo TX -

You can use chatter in offline mode using timed QuickSync's. In Preferences-Chatter Preferences you can choose Offline Disconnect. This will disconnect you from the ANY data link (both grey and green arrows). This way, you can be assured that you will only be on an active data connection for the amount of time it takes to sync your mail folders and you don't have to worry about an open data connection eating away at your monthly MOU allocation. I know this is true as I used to be a VZW Treo 600 user.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by crawform
    How can I tell if my corp. Exchange Server will allow me to use Chatter?
    Does you corp allow Outlook Web Access? Usually webmail.yourdomain.com. If some, try that as the mail server with your normal login/password. If it doesn't work, chances are the IMAP port is not open. There are instructions in the ChatterMail documentation for opening the port.
    Does you corp allow Outlook Web Access? Usually webmail.yourdomain.com. If some, try that as the mail server with your normal login/password. If it doesn't work, chances are the IMAP port is not open. There are instructions in the ChatterMail documentation for opening the port.
    I can access via the web, however my password changes each time via a SecureID...is this a deal breaker?
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    Pablo TX -

You can use chatter in offline mode using timed QuickSync's. In Preferences-Chatter Preferences you can choose Offline Disconnect. This will disconnect you from the ANY data link (both grey and green arrows). This way, you can be assured that you will only be on an active data connection for the amount of time it takes to sync your mail folders and you don't have to worry about an open data connection eating away at your monthly MOU allocation. I know this is true as I used to be a VZW Treo 600 user.

Good luck.
    Right, but that wipes out any benefit of Chatter, which is namely Push email. I can do exactly that on SnapperMail, which I have already paid for.

If I ever do switch to a data plan, I intend on trying Chatter. But it's not necessary at the moment.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    This program sounds great but does Chatter also sync the calendar? I haven't seen calendar support anywhere. My company uses Exchange and I setup my T650 with Versamail for ActiveSync and while it's not the best it does work (sometimes) and I really need calendar syncing.
    Quick question: are there other settings that need to be changed on the server side? Is there anything I would need other than a 650 and Chatter?

I've checked and have Outlook Web Access and a consistent login and password, but do not have helpful IT. Specifically, I'm thinking of the push function, does the server need to be reconfigured in some way (i.e. ports opened, etc.)?
  10.    #30  
    crawform - Yes, that's a deal breaker.

vorian - No calendar.

rjh -There shouldn't be any reconfiguration.

Marc
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    650 on order -- because of Chatter.
    Wow...I just downloaded the trial of Chatter and -- I thought SnapperMail was awesome -- but Chatter really rocks! I am an e-mail addict, and Chatter works great with my Gmail > Fastmail and corporate Exchange accounts. The push e-mail is way cool, and the fact that everything can happen in the background is fantastic.

-Sabrina
  13.    #33  
    Sabrina - Thanks for the wow...

Marc
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    Right, but that wipes out any benefit of Chatter, which is namely Push email. I can do exactly that on SnapperMail, which I have already paid for.

If I ever do switch to a data plan, I intend on trying Chatter. But it's not necessary at the moment.
    Well, maybe I missed the point In order to get Chatter to Push you need to have either a dormant or active data connection. In either case, VZW will be tracking the connection and billing you. So you need to have a data plan with all you can eat usage, otherwise you'll have a much higher monthly bill - particularly on VZW's 1xrtt network that will constantly ping the treo, whether or not you have an active data connection.
    Right. That's why I said:

I'll probably try it (as well as pTunes deluxe/shoutcast) out if/when Verizon forces me onto a data plan, but I can't have an always-on app when I'm using plan minutes.
    I'm fine with SnapperMail right now, as I'm using minutes for data access. My Treo doesn't constantly ping VZW's network, and have had no problems with it in the past 7 months. It's really not an issue if you use the Treo prudently and take control of the data connection. I don't want a much higher monthly bill, so I can't have an always on app like Chatter or streaming Shoutcast.

But if VZW forces me onto a data plan, like they have been doing to some, I do intend on making the most out of that paid unlimited plan and will try apps like pTunes deluxe and Chatter. I'm just trying to gather information so that I can be better prepared should that day come.
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrina
    Wow...I just downloaded the trial of Chatter and -- I thought SnapperMail was awesome -- but Chatter really rocks! I am an e-mail addict, and Chatter works great with my Gmail > Fastmail and corporate Exchange accounts. The push e-mail is way cool, and the fact that everything can happen in the background is fantastic.

-Sabrina
    Sabrina...How did you setup Chatter to work with your corp. Exchange?
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    crawform - Yes, that's a deal breaker.

vorian - No calendar.

rjh -There shouldn't be any reconfiguration.

Marc
    Thanks Marc...but, bummer.
  18.    #38  
    Does anyone support this on the Treo, crawform?

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by crawform
    Sabrina...How did you setup Chatter to work with your corp. Exchange?
    I can access my Exchange account through Microsoft Outlook Web Access. Basically, I go to a URL like http://mail.mycompany.com, enter my username and password, and I get access to my e-mail and calendar. I set up Chatter to access the e-mail part of my Exchange account, by using mail.mycompany.com as the IMAP server, and my network username and password.

I know that some Exchange servers are *not* set up to allow this sort of access, or they are POP only, etc., so YMMV.

-Sabrina
    Marc (as well as anyone else),
    I just downloaded the trial version of the newest Chatter release today (version 1.0b20.7[61:15]), and use a CDMA Sprint Treo 600 and AOL. 2 quick questions:

1)What could be keeping me from getting any incoming mail whatsoever in my inbox (using imap.aol.com), while sending mail via smtp.aol.com works fine?

2)If I were to actually get the inbox working, must the setting remain in the red "online" mode in order for push to continue? And if so, residing in that state seems to absolutely churn up battery usage even despite your saying this version offers an improvement for CDMA.

Thanks for any assistance.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast