1.    #1  
    hi all. long-time lurker here in this forum who has been waiting on a GSM version of the 650 for a good while now... i am currently a tMobile user here in the americas and am realizing that tMobile will not be able to supply me w/ fast data services anytime soon, if ever.

while i do travel outside the americas, it is mostly to japan and i already have a docomo phone for my stays there... so, GSM vs. CDMA aside, which 650 would offer me the fastest data speeds here w/in america? i would like to use the 650 both for its onboard data functions as well as w/ my laptop via BT for DUN, i see people mentioning speeds up to 175kb/s here on the fora, these are very tempting speeds to me if i can use them to get online w/ my laptop as well, tempting enough for me to go sign up w/ someone else to attain them, tMobile or no...

any clarification would be wonderful, i am on the fence and could really use a solution to have in hand by the 14th of this coming month, thx all..!
    Sprint 1xRTT vs. Cingular EDGE will likely give you roughly the same experience, speedwise. EDGE has a theoretical advantage in terms of maximum throughput, but in reality the true throughput people see on both seem to be roughly equivalent. I tried both recently (I had a trial account with Sprint for a month, and I switched to Cingular EDGE recently). The subjective performance I saw was roughly the same. I didn't actually measure the Sprint bandwidth I was seeing, but it's the experience that matters anyways.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    Sprint 1xRTT vs. Cingular EDGE will likely give you roughly the same experience, speedwise. EDGE has a theoretical advantage in terms of maximum throughput, but in reality the true throughput people see on both seem to be roughly equivalent. I tried both recently (I had a trial account with Sprint for a month, and I switched to Cingular EDGE recently). The subjective performance I saw was roughly the same. I didn't actually measure the Sprint bandwidth I was seeing, but it's the experience that matters anyways.
    thx to you for your fast reply jimf, can you tell me what the price difference would be for someone like me, who doesn't have a contract w/ either carrier at the moment, for unlimited data monthly? it sounded like some were saying that Sprint was much cheaper in this regard than Cingular for unlimited data plans..?