Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Did they finally implement this in the Treo 650? I hate having to wait every 15 minutes for my treo 600 to retrieve my e-mails. I know there are other 3rd party software that does it but are there any differences in the e-mail setup in the 2 devices or are they still the same?
    Use Chattermail with push from a server like Fastmail. Instant IMAP email.
    or just turn off active sync in versamail and forward a copy of your emails to ( your number) @messaging.sprintpcs.com and you will receive a text message when an email arrives then you just fetch manually from versa.. works fine for me and saves battery life.. hope this helps..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    chatter!!!!!
    BCPE works beautifully for me, pushes to device about 30 secs after it hits my computer (Outlook checks every one min). I do large business accounts for Sprint so I like to impress my prospective customers with replies to thier emails from the road within 2-3 mins from the time they hit the "send" button...Colin
    Nothing yet for people who need corporate email without IT people willing to install Good Tech. software. BCPE (which I use) is good, but still forces the treo to sync instead of just pushing a given message.
    Just in case you didn't catch it... if you wanna go the IMAP route, you have to be sure that both your client(say uh, Chatter) and your mail server support the IMAP extension(name escapes me at the moment) that enables "push" email functionality. Fastmail has already been named, but a lot of other canned services don't offer it yet.

This solution has the added benefit of probably saving a noticeable bit on battery life too.
    --
    jt
    Yep - ChatterEmail is the way to go with an IMAP service that supports the IDLE command. This will make your Treo email equal to Blackberry (without the need for expensive server side additions, by the way). If your email does not support "idle" just get an account with a service like fastmail and forward-copy your email to it. Chatter lets you respond with different "personalities" so your clients may never no the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Guinn
    BCPE works beautifully for me, pushes to device about 30 secs after it hits my computer (Outlook checks every one min). I do large business accounts for Sprint so I like to impress my prospective customers with replies to thier emails from the road within 2-3 mins from the time they hit the "send" button...Colin
    Sorry, what's "BCPE" stand for? Is this Sprint's Business Connect service?

Thanks, in advance, for your help. I'm buying my first Treo (the 650, of course!) this upcoming week and would like to connect with my corporate email; which is Lotus Notes. I'm assuming either Fastmail or BCPE would also work for that...
    BCPE stands for Business Connection Personal Edition. Sprint offers two flavors of Business Connection. The Personal Edition requires that your computer or laptop be running with the BCPE active in the task tray. In essence it is just a sophisticated forwarding program that forwards you email to your Treo on a set schedule or when you tell BCPE to sync. In it's current iteration, it works quite well and actually seems to check more often than I have it set, so that email appears to arrive in near real time. I can sync my calendar, contacts and obtain corporate email addresses via BCPE. You can even designate a folder on your computer in which documents will be available on the Treo. Works pretty well, too, for at least Word files in my trials.

BCEE, which stands for Business Connection Enterprise Edition is a slightly more robust version and is configured to work more like a Blackberry. It is configured to bounce email to your Treo when it hits your organization's mail server, whether or not your computer is on or BC is running in your tasktray. It does not require that BC be running at all, since it is configured either behind a firewall or on a network deployed option.
    Quote Originally Posted by senatorw
    BCPE stands for Business Connection Personal Edition. Sprint offers two flavors of Business Connection. The Personal Edition requires that your computer or laptop be running with the BCPE active in the task tray. In essence it is just a sophisticated forwarding program that forwards you email to your Treo on a set schedule or when you tell BCPE to sync. In it's current iteration, it works quite well and actually seems to check more often than I have it set, so that email appears to arrive in near real time. I can sync my calendar, contacts and obtain corporate email addresses via BCPE. You can even designate a folder on your computer in which documents will be available on the Treo. Works pretty well, too, for at least Word files in my trials.

BCEE, which stands for Business Connection Enterprise Edition is a slightly more robust version and is configured to work more like a Blackberry. It is configured to bounce email to your Treo when it hits your organization's mail server, whether or not your computer is on or BC is running in your tasktray. It does not require that BC be running at all, since it is configured either behind a firewall or on a network deployed option.
    Senatorw, thanks for the great explanation. Unfortunately, I won't be using Sprint's service - planning on going with Cingular or staying with T-Mobile (and buying the unlocked version from palmOne). I'll have to do some more research to see if Cingular or T-Mobile offers a service similar to BCPE/BCEE. The net of it is we're a soon-to-be BlackBerry shop but I still would like near real-time access to my corporate email - I'm hoping to find a good solution that I can install myself and not have IT install any server-side stuff...again, thanks and feel free to provide any suggestions for resolving my situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by senatorw

Actually my BCPE does "push" the email to my device...but you have to set it to do that. When I'm sitting at my desk and an email comes in, it takes between 10 and 30 seconds to hit my phone.
    For Cingular check out http://www.cingular.com/business/xpress_mail_personal it is made by the same people that make SprintBC (www.seven.com) so it is most likely similar.
    Does BCPE cost extra... thanks
    Everyone seems to be strongly for Chatter. Does Snappers IMAP solution not work as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilJack
    Everyone seems to be strongly for Chatter. Does Snappers IMAP solution not work as well?
    Snapper's doesn't support push (the "idle" command I believe) so you have to poll manually or automaticly to get mail. With chatter new mail is instantly (within seconds) "pushed" to the device so you don't have to check for mail.
    I found the pricing on the BCPE but I having be trying to get rule generate messages sent to a phone like a text. Just like SPCS does with theire. I want to use outlook or something, but I cannot find this option in any part of Outlook. The piece that I am looking for is a Rule that will allow a message to be generated to a certain address when any e-mail is recieved. Novell GroupWise Allows this option but our current spam filters will not allow me to send them out. Any help would be great also.
    I can see no reason NOT to use Chatter, since i have setup my fastmail and chattermail last month, the use of my Treo has only gone up...real time pushed email in true blackberrry fashion. THere is nothing that beats it for the price of Chattermail. Fastmail basic account is free.
    I wish I had a dime for every dime I have
    I am using Chatteremail with Exchange server. I tested it with a blackberry as well and almost always chatter mail got the message first.
    I loved Chatter with IMAP, but if you are stuck with POP, it's limited, because you have to delete e-mails from the Treo and again from the Desktop.

Currently. I have my POP mail forwarded to my Sprint mail, which sends an SMS message in real time. The SMS triggers TreoHelper to fetch Snappermail. The result is virtually instant e-mail.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast