1.    #1  
    Just got off the phone with AT&T NBO. Fellow was about to push the enter button to place the order for me on our FAN account ($449 w.3 month contract extension to 1yr) but since I'm on a family shared minutes plan and this is a "data centric" device I'd have to take if off the shared plan and take a individual DATA plan for it then add a VOICE plan to the data plan.

Same thing happened when the Audiovox SMT5600 was first released. There is a way around it at the store level if you find a good rep but they just wouldn't give in.

Screw that .... guess I'll keep waiting for my Vienna Channels unlocked to eventually show up.
    yeah, i've gotten a lot of flack in the past for enforcing that very same "policy" [and i used that word very loosely here]. it gets even trickier when the account is tied in with nbo. but basically, yes you are correct. if you're willing to pay a little more for the handset, then it should be no problem for a sales rep to sell you the phone, renew the service on the phone number you'd like to attach the treo to, and then input in a random "dummy" imei. then once the dummy imei is active in the system, have them call back into dealer support and manually add the treo imei. there's a slight possibility that the dealer support rep on the other end won't add it due to the very same policy, but most of them aren't fully aware of such things. and to take it a step further, you'd probably have better luck with an independantly-owned cingular store rep, such as myself.

but you didn't hear it from me
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    first post! (embarrasing as that may be. *grin*) i'm sitting on my hands waiting for the cingular GSM version, myself. what do you mean by "pay a little more," b0tes? buy the T650 sans contract so the rep can fidget it through onto your current account/number? i've a friend who's a cingular rep, but i don't want him to get into trouble pulling strings. plus, i'm not entirely certain he knows enough about the system to pull something off. i don't want a new/second line, i just want the new toy. (i've been with cingular since it was cellone in illinois fer chrissakes, i wish they'd not jerk us around like this.) any more info you can offer would be of help, thanks!

-ae
  4.    #4  
    The same issues exisited when I got the SMT5600 when it was first released back in October. The ATT store rep just entered it as a COAM (I did have to give up the $50 rebate but I really didn't care) and everything was fine. Now after the merger there is just so much confusion. The Cingular side fortunately seems to not have that stupid policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by b0tes
    yeah, i've gotten a lot of flack in the past for enforcing that very same "policy" [and i used that word very loosely here]. it gets even trickier when the account is tied in with nbo. but basically, yes you are correct. if you're willing to pay a little more for the handset, then it should be no problem for a sales rep to sell you the phone, renew the service on the phone number you'd like to attach the treo to, and then input in a random "dummy" imei. then once the dummy imei is active in the system, have them call back into dealer support and manually add the treo imei. there's a slight possibility that the dealer support rep on the other end won't add it due to the very same policy, but most of them aren't fully aware of such things. and to take it a step further, you'd probably have better luck with an independantly-owned cingular store rep, such as myself.

but you didn't hear it from me
    can I ask this, I ordered the phone and encountered the same problem. What I was planning on doing was to get the phone and onece on my hand simply use the current sim card from my other att phone and call att to cancell the new data plan along with the new number.

Will the phone operate with my old sim card?
  6.    #6  
    If you only have ONE SIM, that will be disabled and replaced by the new one (or updated to be the new one). I highly doubt you can do that. You are buying a data plan FIRST then adding a voice plan. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $you$ $have$ $to$ $keep$ $it$ $for$ $a$ $year$ ($or$ $2$). $Cingular$ $doesn$'$t$ $have$ $this$ $policy$.
    Quote Originally Posted by redemption
    can I ask this, I ordered the phone and encountered the same problem. What I was planning on doing was to get the phone and onece on my hand simply use the current sim card from my other att phone and call att to cancell the new data plan along with the new number.

Will the phone operate with my old sim card?
    Get Sprint. I have a family plan, T650 and unlimited data. I understand it may not be feesible for you, but just so you know that other vendors do it (maybe tell AT&T that).
    Quote Originally Posted by aethyric
    first post! (embarrasing as that may be. *grin*) i'm sitting on my hands waiting for the cingular GSM version, myself. what do you mean by "pay a little more," b0tes? buy the T650 sans contract so the rep can fidget it through onto your current account/number? i've a friend who's a cingular rep, but i don't want him to get into trouble pulling strings. plus, i'm not entirely certain he knows enough about the system to pull something off. i don't want a new/second line, i just want the new toy. (i've been with cingular since it was cellone in illinois fer chrissakes, i wish they'd not jerk us around like this.) any more info you can offer would be of help, thanks!

-ae
    basically, if your number is one of the $10 or $20 add-on "share" lines, then the commission netted in by the store, and thus your discount off of the equipment will reflect this. if your number is the "primary" line, meaning a rate plan of no less than $40/mo., then you should get a discount off the treo that is much more generous. this is of course assuming that you'd be renewing your existing contract with your purchase of the 650. if you renew for 2 more years instead of one, then the discount off the equipment is even greater. however, you may or may not be eligible for the $50 mail-in-rebate, as stated by MisterEd.

as for your friend, any rep worth his salt should be able to do this no problem.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w