Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Hi Guys and Girls,

I am getting quicken for free, if I sign up for their credit card. Which palm app is best so I can enter transactions on the go?

I am going to use this for my business expenses as well. Can I separate the two accounts in my plam as well as in quicken?

Thanks for the help

------------------
    Lenny Vasile
    Helping Entrepreneurs Cash in on the Dot Com Explosion with turn key Virtual Stores. for more info Check out http://www.FindYourLife.com or Email Len@FindYourLife.com
    Could you tell me where I can sign up for this credit card so as to get the free Quicken Software? Thanks!
    Jeremy

------------------
    Visit at www.southern.edu/~jearnall
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Jeremy,

I recieved the offer in a mailing. You can try and call them at 1-800-442-4939

hope that helps

------------------
    Lenny Vasile
    Helping Entrepreneurs Cash in on the Dot Com Explosion with turn key Virtual Stores. for more info Check out http://www.FindYourLife.com or Email Len@FindYourLife.com
    Using Pocket Quicken you can have several separate accounts. I think the limit is 15, but I'm not positive.

tyler

P.S. FWIW, I love the Quicken 2000/Pocket Quicken combo.
    One of the main reasons I bought a PDA (a Visor, of course) was to enter into Quicken on the go. I did have to upgrade my Quicken '98 to Quicken 2000 (Deluxe which cost $39 after $20 rebate) -- Quicken '99 works as well.

I then bought PocketQuicken by Landware from Accompany.com, now Mobshop.com, for about half it's $39.95 list price. (Only PDA program I've bought so far. Wish people would always list approx price when recommending software on this site. Helps to know whether it's worth seeking out -- interest level in software for most of us is inversely proportional to price.)

Anyway, you can defintely have 15 accounts on your PDA. That's a limitation of PocketQuicken (PQ). You can have more in desktop. (PQ also doesn't support investment accounts yet.) But to clarify, these accounts are like 1.checking at this bank, 2.savings at this bank, 3.savings at this credit union, 4.AAdvantage credit card, 5.Alumni credit card, 6.(for you)Quicken credit card obviously, 7.My Wallet, 8.Wife's Wallet, 9. etc.

In Quicken, you can have different files if you really, really want to separate business from personal, and you would have different accounts in each file. But if you're a Sole Proprietor, I think it is easier to use one file and just have different categories for business expenses. Because you will likely have personal and business expenses on the same account. For instance, I charge everything I can to my AAdvantage credit card so I get the frequent flyer miles. I set up an expense category named "B" (for Business), and then a subcategory for each of the relevant line items on the tax form Schedule C. That makes it easy at tax time because everything is already grouped in the proper tax lines. The reason for the "B" is so all the business/tax (sub)categories are grouped together to make it easier to see what my choices are when categorizing expenses, versus having all the business/tax categories mixed in with personal categories like Groceries or Clothing.

Which brings up one more limitation of PQ. Can only go down to one level of subcategory (e.g., B:Travel , but not B:Travel:Air Fare). Can have two or more levels of subcategories on desktop, they just won't be available choices on your PDA.

So, despite the limitations of PQ, I do like it a lot (at the Mobshop.com prices, $39.95 is a bit steep for the limited functionality considering that's how much Quicken Deluxe costs). I've only had it about a month and it's great to be able to enter things almost as I incur the expenses. Sure beats saving receipts up for weeks in my wallet and then having a data entry session at home trying to remember what each receipt was for -- if I haven't lost it or not got one in the first place. So it improves tracking.

Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by Rembrandt (edited 03-31-2000).]
    I got PQ after someone posted one of these "group deals" on the internet, so the price was about half of retail. I'm not sure I'd like it so much if I spent $40 on it, but having spent 20 I can tell you that I love it. Yes, it has limitations, but none of them have been particularly bothersome to me. The ability to enter the information on the fly is just so helpful that it's hard to imagine not using it!
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Thanks Guys,for the input. Looks like I am going for Pocket quicken. I see that their are 1/2 price deals available. Any ideas were I can find such a deal?

------------------
    Lenny Vasile
    Quicken.com seems to run one of the group deals for PQ on an ongoing basis.

<><

[This message has been edited by LanMan (edited 04-14-2000).]
    Go here:
    http://www.mobshop.com/cycles?cycle_id=221284

For a discount enter the code word: MOBSHOPPER. This discount apparently expires 4/4/00, and is good for 15% off.

Also, FWIW, I have just discovered classes on Quicken (out of curiosity from seeing them on Pocket Quicken), and they seemed to have solved my need for more than one layer of sub-category. The use of classes seems to make PQ even more useful.

tyler

Egghead.com also offers Pocket Quicken for $27.00. They state that ground shipments are free. Just do a search on "Pocket Quicken". I used the demo version for the time period allowed and had no major problems. The only thing I did not like was which accounts I could download to the Visor. Maybe the full version could limit which accounts. I need only a couple of accounts. I hope this helps.