Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 67
  1. #41  
    Howard Stern, the MAN!
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Nope, Stern isn't funny or relevant. He was defeated in Chicago years ago. He still has a few listeners left.

    Capable of getting, maybe after enough alcohol, but then even the crudest fart jokes are then funny.
    Stern with his hair extensions and teleprompter sun glasses can stay with people who like low brow humor, and circus freaks that surround him.

    And by the way, I told Mancow it was time to retire and give someone new an opportunity, crank phones calls are funny maybe a few times a week at best.
    How ignorant are you to say he isn't funny or relevant? Everyone has different opinions, to me, and MILLIONS others, he IS funny AND relevant...deal with it.

    Hair extensions? You're obviously not a listener of the show, and someone who draws conclusions from a distance far, far away...
  3. #43  
    $500M for five years? Is that an accurate number? You sure it's not $50M

    That's an awful lot to bank on for satellite radio..this will be an interesting test. With no commercials, the only way to generate more $ is through more subscribers, who also pay the extra charge for Stern.

    Sirius will need a crapload if new customers...several million a year each year. That is pretty aggressive.

    I guess we will see. I think it will be a bust, but who knows.
  4. #44  
    Each to there own but the reason i listen is i want to hear what he says next
  5.    #45  
    The thing that I find funny is that Stern isn't a geek in the techie sense, but he and other celebs are given free Treos to give exposure to its features, even though they have the least understanding and/or use for such a device.

    With all the interest in consumer tech, you'd think there'd be a radio show that could cover this topic alone. Air America Radio should try this as a break from their regular format. I bet it would be a hit, not to mention how easy it would be to find advertisers.
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by wireless-doc
    The thing that I find funny is that Stern isn't a geek in the techie sense, but he and other celebs are given free Treos to give exposure to its features, even though they have the least understanding and/or use for such a device.
    From what I remember he was a big blackberry user before the Treo and relies on email and connectivity in general a lot.
  7. #47  
    Stern is at heart a geek as well. He likes all the newest guy toys.

    By the way, his contract is for 5 years, $100 million. Sirius will spend a total of $500 million over those 5 years to set up his 3 channels. One Howard Stern show channel and 2 radio channels that he will program. Its $12.95 a month to subscribe to Sirius.

    I just got a Mercedes. Made sure that it came with dealer installed Sirius. I gotta tell you that even without Stern, I would have gotten Satellite radio. However, I was leaning towards XM, but Stern convinced me to get Sirius. I need my Stern fix on my morning commute.

    I used to listen to Opie and Anthony. They were pretty funny, but nowhere near as funny as Stern. They made a mistake by going to a seperate charge channel on XM. Only hardcore fans will subscribe to that.

    One criticism that I do have of Stern is the fact that his marriage failed. You always enjoyed listening to him talk about his personal life and sitting down in the basement watching videos and not wanting to ever go out. You could relate to the giys personal life despite the fact that he was a multi-millionaire. Now hes dating a model, going out to fabulous parties, hanging out with celebrities. He turend into the type of person that he used to make fun of. Hes still funny, but if you notice, he almost never talks about his personal life. It would probably **** off too many of his viewers.
    Despite that, I still enjoy listening to him in the morning, it makes my 1 hour commute just fly by.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    Yeah, buncha suckas. They all know so much about him, but nobody listens -- right That's cool about usenet, I do the same..



    LOL
    I would like to know how to do that telnet to record the show and listen (can't always listen at work, and it would be great to Fast forward through the commercials
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcox20
    Don N Mike are better by far...
    Yeah....how long did they last in New York?

    They're not even remotely funny.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Naw, it just means there is an ***** born every second.
    Yeah...that Mel Karmazin is a real *****....
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by PunkAce
    I would like to know how to do that telnet to record the show and listen (can't always listen at work, and it would be great to Fast forward through the commercials
    alt.binaries.howard-stern Search for a usenet faq to learn the basics....

    Even better than fast fwding -- the commercials are edited out.
  12. #52  
    Mel will ruin Sirius... he's already talking about adding advertising to the Howard Stern show.

    "Getting a team up and running as fast as we can is our agenda and we want to be positioned so the day Howard (Stern) starts...we'll have a sales team that already has relationships with advertisers," Karmazin said Wednesday

    http://money.cnn.com/services/ticker...LINE000792.htm
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    How much is a subscription to Sirius running now?
    If you pay month to month, it's 12.99 a month. I pay once a year and it averages out to about 10 bucks a month by prepaying a year.

    XM is 9.99 a month, but if you want Opie and Anthony it's another 1.99. If you want to listen online it's another 3.99 and if you want playboy, it's ANOTHER 2.99. Nickle and dime much?
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    $500M for five years? Is that an accurate number? You sure it's not $50M

    That's an awful lot to bank on for satellite radio..this will be an interesting test. With no commercials, the only way to generate more $ is through more subscribers, who also pay the extra charge for Stern.

    Sirius will need a crapload if new customers...several million a year each year. That is pretty aggressive.

    I guess we will see. I think it will be a bust, but who knows.
    Actually, Stern is not getting the whole 500 million. That number includes studio building and upkeep, howards salary and the salary of his entire staff. It's pretty widely assumed that Stern would only need 2 million people to come to Sirius over the life of his contract in order for them to break even. He's got 10 million listeners now, give or take, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem knowing how loyal his listeners are.

    As far as commercials, there will be commercials during the show. It's pretty tough to do a show for four hours without breaks, ****, eat or otherwise, not to mention actually having that much solid material. Commercials fit these typical morning shows. Though I'm sure it will be done tactfully. Heck, even Opie and Anthony have commercials on their show now.. and XM users still have to pay extra! Talk about a slap in the face
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcox20
    Mel will ruin Sirius... he's already talking about adding advertising to the Howard Stern show.

    "Getting a team up and running as fast as we can is our agenda and we want to be positioned so the day Howard (Stern) starts...we'll have a sales team that already has relationships with advertisers," Karmazin said Wednesday

    http://money.cnn.com/services/ticker...LINE000792.htm

    Hello??? Other than the music channels all of the others already have commercials.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunmoon
    If you pay month to month, it's 12.99 a month. I pay once a year and it averages out to about 10 bucks a month by prepaying a year.

    XM is 9.99 a month, but if you want Opie and Anthony it's another 1.99. If you want to listen online it's another 3.99 and if you want playboy, it's ANOTHER 2.99. Nickle and dime much?
    Yeah, that's pretty sh*tty... It's nice that Sirius is a flat fee now, but before you know it they'll be doing the same crap -- just like cable TV..

    Hopefully the commercials on the HS show (if there are any -- I think he's said a couple of times it would be comm free) will be kept to a minimum. I doubt they'll be anything like the marathon 15 minute breaks they have on his show now. On FM that's their only income, on Satellite with the subscriber fees, they wont need to rely on advertising as much... (except for greed)
  17. #57  
    Bababooie.



    Sorry, I just had to do that.
  18. #58  
    only 2M listeners over 5 years to breakeven on $500M?

    Not even counting the cost of the siruis satellites, devices, and operating expenses, that mean they expect each person to pay $250 a year (likely more with tack on fees) to listen to Stern (and commercials)

    That is not going to happen.

    Time to short the stock.

    (btw, Stern has been less funny since his marriage blew up...he is too bitter to be funny anymore, nor can people relate to him anymore.)
  19. #59  
    Stern's schtick has gotten old. Good riddance.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    only 2M listeners over 5 years to breakeven on $500M?

    Not even counting the cost of the siruis satellites, devices, and operating expenses, that mean they expect each person to pay $250 a year (likely more with tack on fees) to listen to Stern (and commercials)

    That is not going to happen.

    Time to short the stock.
    Stern will attract alot more than 2 million listeners...my guess atleast half (5 million)...easy.

    Don't underestimate him.

    buy..buy..buy
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions