1.    #1  
    I have aTreo 600 and am loking for a GPS / maping bundle. Mapopolis and TomTom each have strengths, but I need the best from both:

Mapopolis - good bundle of software & GPS unit, but the requirement for the maps to be in RAM to run is a drawback. I travel the state of GA and will travel from one side of the state to the other in a day, so I need to have the entire state loaded into memory (I can't find out how much memory all the county maps will take up, but it must be very large - anyone know where I could get this info?). Maps on an SD card must still be loaded into ram to run.

TomTom - being able to run the software from an SD card (why can't mapopolis have this feature?) is great, but they don't sell a bundle with a receiver that is compatible with the treo 600.

Anyone have any ideas about a solution. Have I missed other software / GPS combonations?

Thanks for your help!
    Actually, with the newest version of Mapopolis at least (2.2), maps run just fine off the SD card. You need to be smart about the way you set up the directories, as more than a certain number of maps in one directory can cause big performance hits.

For example, you can put the entire state of Georgia in one directory (GA/), but you should copy/move the county maps that you are actually using (Atlanta, major roads, maybe a few more) into a subdirectory so Mapopolis only has to access the few maps rather than the entire state to get you from your house to a local destination. Move/copy maps as you need them.
    I tried the mapoplis on my treo and gave up. Way too much trouble, especially if you need to use the phone. I am all for converged devices, but that was one too many! I bought the garmin pda and just love it. works out of the box and the software is excellent.....runs off the sd card. And you can use the treo at the same time!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    Actually, with the newest version of Mapopolis at least (2.2), maps run just fine off the SD card. You need to be smart about the way you set up the directories, as more than a certain number of maps in one directory can cause big performance hits.

For example, you can put the entire state of Georgia in one directory (GA/), but you should copy/move the county maps that you are actually using (Atlanta, major roads, maybe a few more) into a subdirectory so Mapopolis only has to access the few maps rather than the entire state to get you from your house to a local destination. Move/copy maps as you need them.
    Georgia has more counties than any other state in the union! you can drive 30 miles and go throught three counties, so I need to have the entire state available, too much trouble to move counties in and out of memory (as I understand it the maps can be on the SD card, but must move the RAm to be used by mapopolis - so you need to have an appropriate amount of RAM free - why not just keep it in RAM?) as I drive.

Still looking for any ideas.

Was with a coworker who had the garmin palm OS GPS..worked great! That what has me looking for something similar for the Treo (don't want to lay out the $$ for a seperate device...it seems that there SHOULD be a solution for the Treo 600.....
    No, you do NOT need the RAM space for the maps, per se. I drove from Boston to Williamsburg, VA in october using a beta version of mapopolis that uses the same read-off-card feature, and it worked flawlessly. The number of maps was kept to a minimum, as I only loaded the Major Road maps for NY, NJ, RI, etc, and then loaded up a few of the surrounding counties for VA and MA. It was fantastic!
    What is uniquely alarming in the United States today, among all the democracies and in our own history, is that a president of the United States is explicitly on the side of anti-modernism. Never before has an American chief executive worked deliberately to foment a fundamentalist absolutism that is ultimately tribal, theocratic, antiscientific, and incompatible with pluralist democracy.
    -Robert Kuttner

...and yet it is extremely obvious that what Bush stands for is exactly what the majority wants in a Leader.... Man I love America!
    I'll let you know soon. I'm a long-time Mapopolis user who finally just ordered TomTom, it's coming next week.

First, there's no requirement for Mapopolis maps to be in memory, the SD card works just fine - I've got about 600 MB of maps with me at all times.

The things that led me to finally spring the cash to switch to TomTom, though:

1. Mapopolis maps over 10 MB don't work on the Treo 650 - this includes a few I use quite a bit, like Los Angeles.

2. Most importantly, the Mapopolis requirement that you know what COUNTY a location is in to get directions there drives me nuts. I went to Maryland on a business trip recently, and have to go look up on the web what county some city is in before I can get directions there. (You need to load the map to find a location there, and the maps are divided by county). That is a *huge* limitation for frequent travelers.

3. I tried The interface for the TomTom is really designed for driving -- very big icons, simple entry that looks more like car GPS units. The Mapopolis interface is nearly impossible to use quickly.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    I'll let you know soon. I'm a long-time Mapopolis user who finally just ordered TomTom, it's coming next week.

First, there's no requirement for Mapopolis maps to be in memory, the SD card works just fine - I've got about 600 MB of maps with me at all times.

1. Mapopolis maps over 10 MB don't work on the Treo 650 - this includes a few I use quite a bit, like Los Angeles.

2. Most importantly, the Mapopolis requirement that you know what COUNTY a location is in to get directions there drives me nuts. I went to Maryland on a business trip recently, and have to go look up on the web what county some city is in before I can get directions there. (You need to load the map to find a location there, and the maps are divided by county). That is a *huge* limitation for frequent travelers.

3. I tried The interface for the TomTom is really designed for driving -- very big icons, simple entry that looks more like car GPS units. The Mapopolis interface is nearly impossible to use quickly.
    The poblem with TomTom is that they have no GPS unit available for the TREO 600! It looks like it would be perfect, except no GPS unit.
    Anyone know of a GPS unit that can work with TomTom, that is available for the Treo 600??
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz

How did you manage to find a demo copy of Tom Tom, I've tried but I can't find one (I'm not willing to buy it until I know it works with my GPS receiver and it has a decent UI).
    I'll answer both questions in one post.

1. Treo 600: Sorry, TomTom doesn't work on the Treo 600 to my knowledge -- I think it needs the high res screen. Mapopolis only. http://www.semsons.com has some good Treo 600 GPS/Mapopolis bundles.

2. TomTom Demo: I don't know why they don't have a demo version of their software with a limited map; they won't sell widely without it. However, I tried it at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, I wasn't using a downloadable demo.
    1. Not true. TomTom works fine if you have the right version. You need Tom Tom Navigator 2004. See http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=74106 for details...
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Not used Tom tom but I h ave used Mapopolis for about 1.5 yrs now. Great little program and so damn easy to use. Not the fastest in terms of searching for possible locations but that is likely a problem related to the processor speed of the treo 600 I use not the software. Works great, Maps are up to date, GPS works 100% of the time. directions are always right on. ETA works also somehow. Would recommend it to you or anyone else.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    also to the guy calling out the maps by county feature to get directions, that is not something I have done at all. Mind you, most of my directions are for areas within 50 miles which is one of the sorting features of the nav feature. But, if you fall out of 50 miles, you don't get the directions as it can't find the spot. However, If you are driving from NY to DC and want directions, you don't really need them until you get to the general area of the city. Don't need turn by turn directions from NYC to DC if you have any clue
    There's a etaile comparison betwen the two on the twelveblackcode monkeys site

http://twelveblackcodemonkeys.com/gp...us_navcard.htm
    I used the Mapopolis NavCard with my Treo 600 and it worked great. It has the entire US on the SD card and runs from there. No need to worry about transferring county maps into directories or anything. You pop the SD card in, it automatically loads Mapopolis, and you're ready to go. Downside of this is having to pull your current SD card out and having to use their SD card (it's a 1 gig SD card with zero room to spare so you can't have anything else on it). I'm probably going to be selling my whole GPS setup (Seidio G2500 car kit, Hi-Com GPS receiver, Mapopolis NavCard) since I've recently upgraded to a Cingular 8125 phone. I'll probably know later in the week if I'm going to sell it for sure. I'll keep you posted.