1.    #1  
    I have my 650 synced up with my PC and I love it.
    You guys seem pretty techie, so here is a question slightly off topic.

Now that my 650 is synced up with my PC, I am wondering if anyone has found a good online backup service for their PC.
    I have been looking for a long time for an online backup solution to supplement the backup I do across hard drive’s in my office. I keep everything backed up locally to 2 separate hard drives (plus the source drive ) which has proven pretty effective for me. This is really easy for media backup as well as other data files that don’t change that often. I have always been interested in an automated solution for more mission critical type stuff like Outlook data, Quicken files etc. I also was interested in finding a deal to store this information off site incase my whole system melted down.

A few months ago, I ran across a press release about a company in California (Digital Outlook) that was heavily involved in web hosting for clients from the banking and credit union industry. The guys who started Digital Outlook were starting a new company called Disk Hero which sounded like what I was looking for. I called them to inquire about when the Disk Hero software was going to be released…how it would work etc. They invited me to participate in their alpha testing, so I have been using the software now for a couple of months now. So far, I have to say I am really impressed. The software (after the first couple of updates) has worked very well, and Disk Hero has been very responsive to requests for enhancements. I also like that it has a very small footprint and uses almost zero cpu cycles. Essentially, you identify directories / files that you want to keep synchronized with the Disk Hero servers and each time you make changes to the files locally, Disk Hero automatically backs up the changes to their servers…very slick. Everything is encrypted to and from the servers etc. For me this seems like the perfect solution to supplement the local backup I do. Especially for data that would be a massive nightmare if I lost it (I don’t include media in this as my originals are my backups if everything implodes). Pricing wise I think the final version is going to cost around $10 per month for 1 GB of storage (you can add more gb’s as you need them) which to me is pretty reasonable considering how automated everything is. For me, the biggest issues were data security at “up time”. The fact that my data is sitting on the same hard drives as Blue Cross Blue Shield’s data made me feel pretty secure. So far, the program has worked flawlessly in keeping the files I selected synced up.

You can get general information about their product at www.diskhero.com. As part of the alpha test, they gave me a special signup code which included 2 months of free service after it went live (sometime early next month). They placed no restrictions on who I gave it out to..soooo here you go SB3077JTX Keep in mind tho that they are in the last phase of beta testing before letting the masses in so the software is still subject to tweaks / mods. I believe the code is only good for another 50 signups or so…I have already directed quite a few people to them.

Btw…no credit card is needed for the trial signup…just the code in case you want to give it a try. Phew…long winded response…in case you can’t tell I spent a lot of time researching this
    In the interest of choice and variety...

http://www.ibackup.com/index.html

Similar... yet different.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks guys for the responses.
    I will check them both out.
    Alan
    I have tried out Ibackup...I don't believe they were automated in the same way. Also, their tech suppot was non existent...of course that was my main complaint with Xdrive and most of the other online backup services. DiskHero has an online chat deal that works really well. Not sure how DiskHero stacks up pricing wise...tho $10 per month for a gig sounded pretty attractive to me.
  6.    #6  
    Sbeswick: Ok I checked out several and decided to try Disk Hero as you suggested. Here are my thoughts so far (with a question for you):
    1. I put the code in for an extra free month as you suggested, and I was impressed that the credit card input area was "grayed out" so that I could NOT enter a credit card number. I guess they will ask for a credit card when my free 2 months is up
    2. Disk Hero is built with MS dotNET tech, and I had to download the dotNET software (about 2.5 min on DSL)
    3. The Disk Hero application downloaded so fast I didn't get to time it
    4. Disk Hero is busy now backing up about 1.5 GB of data that I marked for backup, and I notice that is really is in the background and not messing up anything else I am working on (even a game)
    5. Question: I guess I will find out after the backup is done, but I am wondering HOW the continuous real-time backup works. Sbeswick, have you seen that in action yet?
    Thanks again, Alan
    amarcom,

1) This is my assumption as well...I have been using it two months (although part of the testing period) and still haven't been asked for a credit card (I see they aslo accept paypal as well).

2) Yep...I did as well. Mine installed easily...not sure what the heck it does but didn't seem to affect my system at all.

3) It is a pretty small program...uses 0 cpu cycles which is nice.

4) I actually was worried about this at first....I kept switching to the Disk Hero software to see that it was "really" running...whatever they have done it really does run silently in the background...and for the first week I kept checking to see if all my files were still there They of course were.

5) I used to watch the Disk Hero window when I made changes to files...sure enough within a short time after hitting "save" Disk Hero would make a quick uplaod of the changed file...just double click the Disk Hero icon in your task bar and watch it after you make a change to a fewl...pretty cool actually.
    So anyone give this a try...curious to hear any feedback?