1.    #1  
    So that takes care of the voided warranty issue palm is threatening those of us who modified the original ROM. So P1, who has the final laugh now.....

From shadowmite website's forum
    "Thanks to our member bodotcom and some unknown Palm/Sprint employee, we now have a rom updater that will allow anyone with a custom rom to go back to the EXACT original rom loaded on the 650 by Sprint. This is made possible by a three part process:

First off download the file from shadowmite's website:
    www.shadowmite.com/restore.zip

ONCE MORE, A WARNING THAT ANY ROM FLASH CAN BE DANGEROUS AND YOU TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE WHICH MIGHT OCCUR.

Then the process:

1) PLUG IN YOUR 650 and then run the Romupdater app and simply
    a) Enter without quotes "rev cvt2" and press enter
    b) Enter without quotes "ace" and press enter
    c) When done it should prompt you to hard reset, do so...
    2) When the phone finishes booting back up, go back to the card apps display and run the CDMAParamWriter app.
    3) You should end up back at the same display, run the CDMAFirmwareUpdaterApp, and select update again. This will take a good 5-10 minutes...

When done your phone should tell you so, and possibly turn itself off. Simply turn it on and say ok... At that point you are back to square 1 and can run the Wifi drivers as posted (results vary) and the original car kit update from palm...

Enjoy!"
    Treoing & Loving it
    Can you blame P1 for not wanting customers screwing with the 650? I guess P1 will always be the enemy in this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Can you blame P1 for not wanting customers screwing with the 650? I guess P1 will always be the enemy in this forum.
    Yes, I can blame them. The "screwing with the 650" isn't merely an idle use of time. It is done in response to a phone with serious sound quality issues, memory issues, and crippled features.

If not for the crappy voice quality many of us experienced, a desire to move programs to ROM because of serious RAM file system issues, and disabled Bluetooth DUN (the promise of which was a major selling point of the phone for me), the drive to make and install custom ROMs would not have existed at all.

The folks at PalmOne are smart enough to recognize that our ability to hack the 650 has preserved them some customers. I have a smartphone that I am very happy with, but it sure as hell isn't the one that came out of the box. I would most definitely have returned that phone and bought something else had I not been able to resolve these issues on my own. I am sure I am not the only one.

Basically, had the 650 been released when it was really ready, rather than when they decided it was time to start making money on it, there would be a lot less "screwing" with it going on.
    AWWWWWWE YEAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

It's not over till the fat lady sings.

And One, for the shadowmite hacking crew!

If I were watching a soccer game on a latin channel, it would be:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAL!
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Took a look at both the sprint and P1 information and nothing I have found states that putting in a custom ROM in anyway violates any warranty. Sprint's materials state that they give no warranties at all except those that the manufacturer may give which are passed through to the customer, which is funny since in the manual it says if you don't use a "Sprint approved" charger you may void your warranty and that the warranty does not cover damage caused by the use of SD cards that do not meet SD card specifications.

The P1 warranty information does not say anything about the ROM at all. It does say that the warranty excludes "damage caused by misuse, neglect, imporper installation or testing, unauthorized attempts to open, repair or modify the product or any other cause beyond the range of the intended use."

They, MIGHT try and use the "modify" section, but that clause clearly refers to physical modifications and I would argue that this is not a modification of the product in the sense of the clause.. "Misuse" would be tough, since this does not seem like misuse to me, especially since this came originally from a P1 engineer and nothing says specifically that changing the ROM constitutes misuse (and changing the ROM is not obviously misuse like, say, using the 650 as a improptu hockey puck would be) and, lastly, "any other" might apply but this is as much in the range of intended use as you can get. Indeed, without the patch many could NOT use it for the intended use\!

More importantly, however, the exclusion clause only applyies to DAMAGE CAUSED BY THE "MODIFICATION/MISUSE/'OTHER.' " So, even if the exclusion clauses somehow apply, just putting on the custom ROM does not prevent you from a warranty claim unless the claim you were making was caused by the ROM itself. So, if the exclusion applies, I guess they could argue that you can't try to hand in your phone for replacement because the BT update doesnt work if it was the custom ROM that caused the BT update not to work. On the other hand. If the phone just stops working, or the screen goes out, or the buttons stop responding, you should still be able to hand it in unless they could show the ROM caused the problem you are complaining of.

As for Sprint taking names in a database? What business is it of theirs since they give no warraties anyway! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Took a look at both the sprint and P1 information and nothing I have found states that putting in a custom ROM in anyway violates any warranty.
    Unfortunately, there is. This is straight from a PalmOne support document:

Because installing an unauthorized ROM may void your warranty, you may be subject to an out-of-warranty repair cost.

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...tem,CASE=39478
    Quote Originally Posted by MacJunkie

Because installing an unauthorized ROM may void your warranty, you may be subject to an out-of-warranty repair cost.

Well, what's a little fine print?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by MacJunkie

I don't believe so. It says MAY void your warranty. That just means look at your warranty which again says its only if the "modification" (even if that is what this is) causes the damage. Indeed, the fact that they use the waffle-word "may" shows that they know they are on thin-ice with this. IMO this is just another scare tactic to keep people away from something they wish they HAD speciifically prohibited but didnt because either they never considered it and/or never thought it would be possible anyway.

In any case, the internet blurb would not apply in my state at least as it was not part of the warranty given with the product nor included by reference. The warranty given is what you get. They could have probably included in the warranty a phrase like "additional warranty limitations can be found at...." Not sure if that would fly since I don't know if something like that has been tested, but at least they would have an argument.

Lastly, that little ditty was posted AFTER I bought and recieved my 650, you can't change a warranty after the fact.

Now I DO understand their concern. Messing around with the ROM could cause a whole bunch of headaches for P1 and Sprint. But the shadowmite ROM isnt going to be a problem unless P1 makes it a problem by trying to get funny with updates that won't work on purpose out of Spite

"Spite! Spite is the word of your undoing!" -- Willy Loman
    Last edited by midmofan; 01/27/2005 at 04:16 PM.