Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    The guy whose message I replied to stated: "I know it is cheaper with Cingular but I am not wanting to change over just yet." By writing that he sounded like he THOUGHT he could just switch over in a few weeks or months or whenever he wanted without problem . Obviously he could switch if he wanted to but like I told him, his ATT 650 won't work on Orange unless first unlocked. So yes, I am fully cognizant of what YOU said but it might not have applied to what this person was intending to do. I never mentioned or insinuated the network would be turned off but thanks for keeping me honest.

That's cool. Once again though I would like to point out for anyone who does not understand - in a Cingular market with both a Blue and an Orange network only one will remain in the end. The network that remains may end up having been the orange or the blue network originally. One of the networks will be turned off. This is just technical though, as the network that is turned off will have had it's cell sites converted over to the final network's equipment etc. anyway before it is turned off. I hope that made sense.

Orange Sims look for Orange first and Blue looks for Blue first... doesn't matter what Freq. If a blue sim finds a weak Blue signal it will grab it even if a stong Orange signal exists ..... works the other way as well. If the phone was ENS compatible (the 650 is NOT AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $EVENTUALLY$ ($not$ $yet$) $when$ $the$ $network$ $is$ $complete$ $it$ $will$ $search$ $for$ $the$ $strongest$ $tower$ ($as$ $well$ $as$ $look$ $for$ $one$ $that$ $isn$'$t$ $as$ $busy$).
    I don't think it is possible to ahve the phone camp on the tower that is not busy. I think you are refering to the ENS feature and network load balancing, but it is my understanding that it does not work that way. A GSM phone sould always camp on the site with the strongest signal (in it's home or prefered network) and it has to meet some other conditions too - but that is the general idea.

Maybe I misunderstood you again? If so, sorry. Nothing personal. I am just trying to add to the discusion if I can be useful.
    shadowmite - it looks like your Dialer Patches work on the GSM 650.
    This is Windows XP. But whether they were drivers or not, I couldn't get it to work without them. I had no problem setting up the dialer part (that was easy) but I needed to point the dialup connectoid to a specific modem or port or device of some sort. Other then my USRobotics 56K there was no modem to point it to until I installed the USB Modem "driver" from the Nokia CD. Same for the SE T637.
    Quote Originally Posted by shinoSetsuna
    MisterEd, i don't think those are actually drivers, just profiles for different phones... i have set up DUN over BT on my apple powerbooks in the past, and if your phone was not listed in the prefab list you just had to enter all of the pertinent data in manually, and create a new profile... i'm assuming all we would need here are the proper values to enter..
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Bloom
    Hi Milo,
    Could please explain how to load the file into Treo 650?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shinoSetsuna
    MisterEd, i don't think those are actually drivers, just profiles for different phones... i have set up DUN over BT on my apple powerbooks in the past, and if your phone was not listed in the prefab list you just had to enter all of the pertinent data in manually, and create a new profile... i'm assuming all we would need here are the proper values to enter..
    Try here for Mac OS X modem scripts:
    http://www.taniwha.org.uk/

Perhaps the generic 3G/EDGE script will work?
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingteddy
    Hi Milo,
    Could please explain how to load the file into Treo 650?

Thanks

Pull it down with Blazer...
    This is Windows XP. But whether they were drivers or not, I couldn't get it to work without them. I had no problem setting up the dialer part (that was easy) but I needed to point the dialup connectoid to a specific modem or port or device of some sort. Other then my USRobotics 56K there was no modem to point it to until I installed the USB Modem "driver" from the Nokia CD. Same for the SE T637.
    ah, that explains it. i guess Windows XP does not come w/ the functionality to do DUN via BT out of the box like os X does..
    Or you can use a SD card and filez
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webtoker
    I am probably not going to switch over because I get a corp. discount through my company for At&t.
    ATTWS Foundation accounts will work on Cingular now, although again if you're on a locked phone nobody knows what their policy will be once the 2 companies actually completely merge their resources and call centers.
    In simplest terms (and like I said before ) if you have BLUE SIM and weak BLUE signal it will chose it OVER A STRONGER ORANGE SIGNAL because BLUE is it's HOME. Same the other way around.

I am the perfect example of that right at this moment. I have 2 phones on my desk neither of which is ENS. One w/orange SIM (LG 4020) and it has ONE BAR. I also have my BLUE Nokia 6620. It has all bars.

Orange Sims look for Orange first and Blue looks for Blue first... doesn't matter what Frequency or what the strength os. If a blue sim finds a weak Blue signal it will grab it even if a stong Orange signal exists ..... works the other way as well.

I also said: If the phone was ENS compatible (the 650 is NOT AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) EVENTUALLY (not yet) when the network is complete it will search for the strongest tower (as well as look for one that isn't as busy).

Isn't that pretty much what you just said ?

Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    A GSM phone sould always camp on the site with the strongest signal (in it's home or prefered network) and it has to meet some other conditions too - but that is the general idea.

Maybe I misunderstood you again? If so, sorry. Nothing personal. I am just trying to add to the discusion if I can be useful.
    I never did see the agps/location before... This is the Sprint phone app for sure...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Milo and Shadowmite,
    You guys are stars on http://blog.treonauts.com/

Thank you so much for your contribution to all the Treo geeks !!
    I was just told the same by 2 different Cingular Business reps as well, BUT they said it applies only for the the service discount and not for handset discounts. At least that's what they just told me (I called 866-243-6273).

Quote Originally Posted by alee
    ATTWS Foundation accounts will work on Cingular now, although again if you're on a locked phone nobody knows what their policy will be once the 2 companies actually completely merge their resources and call centers.
    Or you can use a SD card and filez
    Is there any specific place or a folder that I need to load the file into?
    Quote Originally Posted by brightcell
    Milo and Shadowmite,
    You guys are stars on http://blog.treonauts.com/

Thank you so much for your contribution to all the Treo geeks !!
    Shadowmite is the star, I am just the lucky geek that got my 650 a little earlier than everyone else.
    Is there any specific place or a folder that I need to load the file into?
    Just copy it to your "Palmcard". I made a copy of my old phone app first, just in case. I recomend you do the same. Just copy the phone app files from your "Palmcard" to your SD card.
    Just copy it to your "Palmcard". I made a copy of my old phone app first, just in case. I recomend you do the same. Just copy the phone app files from your "Palmcard" to your SD card.
    An excellent choice to make a backup copy always.
    By the way, did you get ATT branded treo 650 or
    Cingular branded Treo 650?

Thank you
    In simplest terms (and like I said before ) if you have BLUE SIM and weak BLUE signal it will chose it OVER A STRONGER ORANGE SIGNAL because BLUE is it's HOME. Same the other way around.

I am the perfect example of that right at this moment. I have 2 phones on my desk neither of which is ENS. One w/orange SIM (LG 4020) and it has ONE BAR. I also have my BLUE Nokia 6620. It has all bars.

Orange Sims look for Orange first and Blue looks for Blue first... doesn't matter what Frequency or what the strength os. If a blue sim finds a weak Blue signal it will grab it even if a stong Orange signal exists ..... works the other way as well.

I also said: If the phone was ENS compatible (the 650 is NOT AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) EVENTUALLY (not yet) when the network is complete it will search for the strongest tower (as well as look for one that isn't as busy).

Isn't that pretty much what you just said ?
    Sure is, but with one difference. You said "If the phone was ENS compatible (the 650 is NOT AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $EVENTUALLY$ ($not$ $yet$) $when$ $the$ $network$ $is$ $complete$ $it$ $will$ $search$ $for$ $the$ $strongest$ $tower$ (as well as look for one that isn't as busy)."

I was the looking for one that isn't as busy part I don't agree with. The phone doesn't know if the site is busy or not and there is no way for it to know - short of the site broadcasting that on the BCCH channel, but then that is not part of the GSM spec...

So you see what I mean? Hopefully we are not just missunderstanding each other every time.
    An excellent choice to make a backup copy always.
    By the way, did you get ATT branded treo 650 or
    Cingular branded Treo 650?

Thank you

The AT&T treo650 I got, had no branding on the case. It does have Cingular logos when you turn it on.
    So this screenshot is from your GSM 650? You see the agps symbol also? I noticed you have the GPRS data triangle. The GSM Treo 600 and the CDMA Treo 650 show little green or grey arrows for data. Do you ever see these or only the normal GPRS triangle? Is there any way for you to tell is it's using EDGE or not?

I never did see the agps/location before... This is the Sprint phone app for sure...
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680