Page 8 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast
    Jan 28, 2005 12:16 PM

Delivered

NEW YORK, NY

Ohhh yaaa! Just need to wait for the mail room to bring it by!
  2.    #142  
    Celebrate... Very cool Webtoker. Report back first impressions.
    Quote Originally Posted by webtoker
    Jan 28, 2005 12:16 PM

Delivered

NEW YORK, NY

Ohhh yaaa! Just need to wait for the mail room to bring it by!
    So far here are some pics. Sorry, I took them with my v600 so they are very low res.

I moved my SIM from my v600 into the Treo 650. The web works great.
    My SIM has unlimited mMode on it. This is $25 a month through At&t. I know it is cheaper with Cingular but I am not wanting to change over just yet.

I will post with how well the device acts through out the day. I did demo a Sprint Treo 650, so I have something to compare it to. One thing I already notice is I like the color of the GSM model over the Sprint.

Firmware: 0.1.04
    Software: Treo650-1.02-CNB
    Hardware: A
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by webtoker; 01/28/2005 at 12:46 PM.
    So they sold you an ATT 650 without forcing a data plan on you? The guy I spoke to in NBO wouldn't even allow it. In fact, he said I had to buy a data plan FIRST then add a voice plan to it.

BTW, You won't be able to change over to Cing unless you unlock the phone.

So far here are some pics. Sorry, I took them with my v600 so they are very low res.

I moved my SIM from my v600 into the Treo 650. The web works great.
    My SIM has unlimited mMode on it. This is $25 a month through At&t. I know it is cheaper with Cingular but I am not wanting to change over just yet.

I will post with how well the device acts through out the day. I did demo a Sprint Treo 650, so I have something to compare it to. One thing I already notice is I like the color of the GSM model over the Sprint.

Firmware: 0.1.04
    Software: Treo650-1.02-CNB
    Hardware: A
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    So they sold you an ATT 650 without forcing a data plan on you? The guy I spoke to in NBO wouldn't even allow it. In fact, he said I had to buy a data plan FIRST then add a voice plan to it.
    I lucked out and did not have to change anything on my plan. I already have unlimited mMode so I should be good.

I would say just call back a bunch of times until you talk to someone who will set you without changing your plan.
    I could not get the DUN to work, but I don't think the issue is Shadowmites btmanager, it may just be my work computer. I have a Bluetooth system at home, I can try it tonight.

I am now able to turn DUN on and off without error, but one time when I did try to connect the PC to DUN, the phone rebooted? I still have more testing to do...

I am probably not going to switch over because I get a corp. discount through my company for At&t.
    this makes me feel good, I added the mediworks 19.99 a month package to my sone t616 phone this past monday. It sounds like I am not going to have a problem with using that on my 650.

MisterEd - do you know this? I know you can not put an Cingular SIM in a phone locked to ATTWS, but unless there is some reason you really need to who cares? It is not as if these people are going to somehow be left out whenb the two networks are finally merged together into one network (assuming you are in an area with overlapping Cingular networks like ATTWS and Cingular). I don't know how this will be done, but I am quite confident that on day one of the networks will not be turned off with customers still on it, everyone will have to be moved over first.

Maybe that is not what you were even trying to say, but when I read that, part of what I get from it is the implication that the user is stuck on a network (possibly) destined to be turned off, and that they made a foolish choice. Once again, that is my impression, regardless of weather you intended it that way or not and I just wanted to voice my thoughts to anyone else who might have read it that way too.
    milo, hang in there! I'm sorry I can't help you test it... I can assure you that with the cdma version of this hack there was a certain order things had to be done in... I'm hoping it'll work for you if you tinker with it... Hopefully you can find the method of making it work for all the gsm'ers. I wish I could help more!

I'm pretty certain it should work though, it's basically the same hack as the cdma version, but on the gsm version of the files (which call different libraries)... Please give us any information as you find it and we'll try to get it right!
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    milo, hang in there! I'm sorry I can't help you test it... I can assure you that with the cdma version of this hack there was a certain order things had to be done in... I'm hoping it'll work for you if you tinker with it... Hopefully you can find the method of making it work for all the gsm'ers. I wish I could help more!

I'm pretty certain it should work though, it's basically the same hack as the cdma version, but on the gsm version of the files (which call different libraries)... Please give us any information as you find it and we'll try to get it right!

Where can I get a copy of the file? I will try it on mine.
    The only way I can see is if you have a shared plan with 2 lines. Other then that the only 2 options I can think of is to take it and try calling after the fact to change it OR 30 days later call them and tell them you lost/sold/didn't like your 650 and you now have a Nokia 3120 or whatever and you want the $24.99 unlimited mMode on it (if they still offer it).

Edit: 1 other choice .... 30 days from now (assuming someone figures out how to unlock it) just migrate back to Orange. However, by then it seems a good possibility there will be no unlimited plan for $19.99.

Edit2: Wait till next week and get an Orange one.
    Has anyone else gotton the story from Blue that a Blue Sim card is better than an Orange Sim?

Mine claims that since Cingy was 1900 and now moving to 850 that Orange sims first look for 1900, then if it can't find one it will take an 850. Meaning that if there is a strong 850 signal and a weak 1900 signal the orange card will pick the 1900 first and only move to 850 after signal is lost. Blue picks the 850 first, supposedly. Has anyone else heard this story?
    The guy whose message I replied to stated: "I know it is cheaper with Cingular but I am not wanting to change over just yet." By writing that he sounded like he THOUGHT he could just switch over in a few weeks or months or whenever he wanted without problem . Obviously he could switch if he wanted to but like I told him, his ATT 650 won't work on Orange unless first unlocked. So yes, I am fully cognizant of what YOU said but it might not have applied to what this person was intending to do. I never mentioned or insinuated the network would be turned off but thanks for keeping me honest.

Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    Maybe that is not what you were even trying to say, but when I read that, part of what I get from it is the implication that the user is stuck on a network (possibly) destined to be turned off, and that they made a foolish choice. Once again, that is my impression, regardless of weather you intended it that way or not and I just wanted to voice my thoughts to anyone else who might have read it that way too.
    Where can I get a copy of the file? I will try it on mine.
    checkout www.shadowmite.com/p-f.html

bottom of the page...
    Orange Sims look for Orange first and Blue looks for Blue first... doesn't matter what Freq. If a blue sim finds a weak Blue signal it will grab it even if a stong Orange signal exists ..... works the other way as well. If the phone was ENS compatible (the 650 is NOT AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $EVENTUALLY$ ($not$ $yet$) $when$ $the$ $network$ $is$ $complete$ $it$ $will$ $search$ $for$ $the$ $strongest$ $tower$ ($as$ $well$ $as$ $look$ $for$ $one$ $that$ $isn$'$t$ $as$ $busy$).

I have that problem here. Cing is very weak where I live and AT&T very strong. My Cingular test phone keeps grabbing the very weak signal (1 bar). If this happens you can call Cing CS and they can OTA your SIM to prefer the stronger one. It's one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Has anyone else gotton the story from Blue that a Blue Sim card is better than an Orange Sim?

Mine claims that since Cingy was 1900 and now moving to 850 that Orange sims first look for 1900, then if it can't find one it will take an 850. Meaning that if there is a strong 850 signal and a weak 1900 signal the orange card will pick the 1900 first and only move to 850 after signal is lost. Blue picks the 850 first, supposedly. Has anyone else heard this story?
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite

Will do, don't worry. I will have a LOT more time tonight to test. Like I said, I think your side of things are right shadowmite, I just need a better system to test with. I will post more info as soon as I can.

FYI, here is a screen shot!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have it loaded, and my powerbook acknowledges the devicer and a dial up device. My only problem is I do not have a EDGE modem script. When I did this with the Sprint treo650, I used the Sprint PCS Vision modem script. Any ideas?
    That may be a problem. I would think you would need BT drivers for the PC side for each specific phone. At least that's how it worked with Nokia 6620 and SE T637. Each came with a CD with modem drivers for the PC specific to the phone both for USB cable and BT (the PC looks at the phone as a modem and like any modem needs drivers). Maybe Palm will release them with the (hopefully) DUN enabled unlocked model.
    I have it loaded, and my powerbook acknowledges the devicer and a dial up device. My only problem is I do not have a EDGE modem script. When I did this with the Sprint treo650, I used the Sprint PCS Vision modem script. Any ideas?
    That may be a problem. I would think you would need BT drivers for the PC side for each specific phone. At least that's how it worked with Nokia 6620 and SE T637. Each came with a CD with modem drivers for the PC specific to the phone both for USB cable and BT (the PC looks at the phone as a modem and like any modem needs drivers). Maybe Palm will release them with the (hopefully) DUN enabled unlocked model.
    MisterEd, i don't think those are actually drivers, just profiles for different phones... i have set up DUN over BT on my apple powerbooks in the past, and if your phone was not listed in the prefab list you just had to enter all of the pertinent data in manually, and create a new profile... i'm assuming all we would need here are the proper values to enter..
    Hi, I'm new to Treo 650. Could you please tell me how to load file into Treo 650? I have the file but I really didn't understand about LOADING part.

Thank you
Page 8 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast