Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 125257585960616263 LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1254
    As I said in previous posts, the message I was responding to said GSM speeds, which implies to me not EDGE. If the message really meant GSM with EDGE then of course he would have that speed.

Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    I got 124/kbs. Why don't you come down from Oregan cross the northern border of Cali...and test EDGE for yourself on TMo.Two days have past and I am not noticing the sound problem as much as I did, especially since I compared it with the Unlocked 650. Especially jazzed that tonight I paired my 650's Bluetooth with the SuperTooth car kit.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    The problem is you said: "I've never seen anyone get 110 from GSM." The fact the guy said he was on Cingular and getting those speeds means it's almost certainly EDGE. He's just using the wong terms all around. As you know his data would be called GPRS not GSM. You are correct in saying that he couldn't get that speed on GPRS without EDGE, but the fact it's Cing probably means EDGE is what getting over GPRS.

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    As I said in previous posts, the message I was responding to said GSM speeds, which implies to me not EDGE. If the message really meant GSM with EDGE then of course he would have that speed.
    I've had a Sprint Treo 300 and then upgraded to the 600. Now I have a Cingular 650.

I transferred my numbers at a former AT&T store. It was busy with a few deadbeats whining to have their phones activated. The process went smoothely until the guy said "2 year contract." I said I have unlocked phones, and I want no contract. Their computer system only allows 1 or 2 year contracts, so he'd have to fax something to someone.

After the phones were active, I left the store. I couldn't get data access. I eventually called customer support, and they fixed it. It seems slower than my Sprint Vision access.

I've only made a couple of calls, and the sound quality is much lower than Sprint. There's background static, and my wife said her voice echoed when she talked to me from her landline. So far, the service seems like a step backward.

I synched up both of our 650s with no problem. I tried using Bluetooth, but the computer couldn't find the phone. The phone found both of my computers. I'm using a USB adapter.

I didn't have time to fiddle with it much since I had to take care of my sick 15 month old. Anyway, that's my report from the front lines. Today I try the Sony Bluetooth headset.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I received my unlocked GSM T650 yesterday!! (Ordered Feb. 2, came USPS.) Along with a spare battery Krusell case and 12v charger. I have to say that although I've had a couple of bumps, (apps crashing, reset loop, etc) I love my new 650! The bluetooth rocks! It connected to my MINI Cooper with a Sony Ericsson HCB-30, my HBH-65 headset and my desktop with a 3com USB bluetooth adapter. I have never hotsynced with the cable, bluesync all the way baby!

My two most important apps, Verichat and Snappermail ported over perfectly, with all settings intact. My favorite car management app, Kar Kar II v2.60 works as well, as does Worldmate Pro 2004, which I like better than the wireless weather app. Tiny Stock v4.43 doesn't seem to work, probably needs a update. I will update the application compatibility list with my findings in the coming weeks.

On the Treo itself... beautiful screen, fantastic keyboard, I can type away faster than ever! I am at Panera Bread right now entering this post on TC Mobile. The camera rocks, zoom, much better light sensitivity, I think I'll actually use it! Form factor is nice, a smaller antenna, removeable battery and nice side buttons are great.

Now if I can just figure out Bluetooth lan access and bluetooth printing to my HP 995c... The manual says lan access is not supported, but the settings and stuff are all there to try it... just need a lan access point or maybe do internet connection sharing on my desktop.

Lastly, a word of warning to those upgrading from a 600. Do not try to restore everything directly! This will blow up your new T650! Mine went into an especially nasty reset loop. The Palm databases are incompatible, so I exported them on Palm Desktop from one user and imported them to a new user. This worked fine. I am reasoanbly certain that Call Filter 1.1 had a hand in doing the reset loop, so it's not installed now.

One last thing for this morning... anyone want to write a Bluetooth Hack app? Something that can crack bluetooth keys and send people stuff?
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  5.    #1225  
    Don't forget to order your "free" 128 MB SD Card

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:45:35 -0500
    Subject: Ship Confirmation for Order 5021734XXXX
    From: customersupport@STORE.PALMONE.COM Add to Address Book
    To: specimen38@xxxxx.com

Dear xxxxx xxxxxx:

We're pleased to inform you that the following item(s) from order
    050217-34XXXX have been shipped. For items with a status other
    than shipped, you will receive an e-mail notification of the shipment
    when it occurs. Your credit card has now been charged for the item(s)
    that have shipped, plus any applicable sales tax.

VIEW YOUR SHIPMENT STATUS
    The link below will supply you with the most recent shipment status.
    Please allow up to 1 hour for this information to update on our website
    from the time you receive this e-mail.

http://web.palmone.com/support/order_status.jhtml

Shipping Address:

xxxxxx xxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxx, CA 94XXX

Your shipment includes the following item(s):

Item: 1797551
    Description: SIM 128 mb Secure Digital Card
    Quantity: 1 @ $ .00
    First Class

Item: 1794793
    Description: PALM 128mb Promo for Treo 650
    Quantity: 1 @ $ .00
  6.    #1226  
    Tell me more about "car management app, Kar Kar II v2.60 works as well" -- what is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    I received my unlocked GSM T650 yesterday!! (Ordered Feb. 2, came USPS.) Along with a spare battery Krusell case and 12v charger. I have to say that although I've had a couple of bumps, (apps crashing, reset loop, etc) I love my new 650! The bluetooth rocks! It connected to my MINI Cooper with a Sony Ericsson HCB-30, my HBH-65 headset and my desktop with a 3com USB bluetooth adapter. I have never hotsynced with the cable, bluesync all the way baby!

My two most important apps, Verichat and Snappermail ported over perfectly, with all settings intact. My favorite car management app, Kar Kar II v2.60 works as well, as does Worldmate Pro 2004, which I like better than the wireless weather app. Tiny Stock v4.43 doesn't seem to work, probably needs a update. I will update the application compatibility list with my findings in the coming weeks.
  7.    #1227  
    You are right... GSM and EDGE are not synonomous. Ask TMo outside of Cali is proof of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
  8.    #1228  
    Really unfortunate experience.... I am wondering what the coverage is like in the city you live in. What city was it? Who is the baby in the avatar? What do you think of the experiences of users in this thread? That is, could anything said here -- helped?
    Quote Originally Posted by convbcuda
    I've had a Sprint Treo 300 and then upgraded to the 600. Now I have a Cingular 650.

I transferred my numbers at a former AT&T store. It was busy with a few deadbeats whining to have their phones activated. The process went smoothely until the guy said "2 year contract." I said I have unlocked phones, and I want no contract. Their computer system only allows 1 or 2 year contracts, so he'd have to fax something to someone.

After the phones were active, I left the store. I couldn't get data access. I eventually called customer support, and they fixed it. It seems slower than my Sprint Vision access.

I've only made a couple of calls, and the sound quality is much lower than Sprint. There's background static, and my wife said her voice echoed when she talked to me from her landline. So far, the service seems like a step backward.

I synched up both of our 650s with no problem. I tried using Bluetooth, but the computer couldn't find the phone. The phone found both of my computers. I'm using a USB adapter.

I didn't have time to fiddle with it much since I had to take care of my sick 15 month old. Anyway, that's my report from the front lines. Today I try the Sony Bluetooth headset.
    Really unfortunate experience.... I am wondering what the coverage is like in the city you live in. What city was it? Who is the baby in the avatar? What do you think of the experiences of users in this thread? That is, could anything said here -- helped?
    I'm in Northern, VA just outside the DC beltway.

The baby is my son getting his first bath. He's 15 months old now. I'm about to go to his doctor's appointment that was supposed to just be a checkup. He has a 105 degree temp and an ear infection.

I hear what others say, so I'm holding out judgment.
    Well, the call quality and data speed did improve. I just wish the dang thing were louder.
  11.    #1231  
    The sound quality is a curious thing. It really depends on who I am talking to and what network they are on. I spoke to a friend today, who works for company with a cheap phone system, in Oakland, CA today and the volume was low. But it is always low -- no matter what phone I use. I always find myself kicking up the volume with this friend. I have another friend who has to travel weekly as a part of his job. He has Cingular and his voice seemed loud enough, but I had the volume boosted as high as it goes.

Also, I played around with the positioning of the ear piece of the Treo and found that I am not always putting the speaker in the proper place.

The one benefit in all of this is that people don't over-hear you phone calls in the bank, grocery line, car, etc. I am sure it will be addressed and corrected in the coming ROM update.
    Well, the call quality and data speed did improve. I just wish the dang thing were louder.
  12.    #1232  
    Day 4: w/GSM 650
    Downtown Oakland, CA

Sprint Store @ 13th and Broadway

"Data download show down"

I walked into the Sprint store armed with my Cingular Treo 650. The sales guy says, what's that? Cingular's version of the Treo 650. I tell him I am here to buy a case for my 650, which led to discussion and ultimately the "download show down."

We put the CDMA and GSM side by side. Navigated Blazer to www.dslreports.com/mspeed and hit go....

Results:

CDMA 112/kps 1.6 latency
    GSM 146/kps 2.4 latency

Conclusion: It's a wash... They're about the same. But I had fun.

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your Cingular service. Are you still experienceing poor quality? Also what network are you on, do you know? Are you using the 64K SIM? Do you have good signal where you normally use your phone? What kind of data speeds are you getting, with what signals?
    Treo 650 GSM
  14.    #1234  
    Day 5-6: w/GSM 650
    Concord, CA

Guitar Center @ Willow Pass Rd

"The Price Check"

I went in to Guitar Center to buy a wirless microphone system. The guy behind the counter quoted a price from Shure. I was skeptical, so I whipped out my GSM 650 and one-handed my way onto their website. Verified the price of the microphone and decided to buy another system. EDGE download speeds rule...

Sunday....one of my buds is sitting in the area watching the NBA All Star game in Denver. I am at a friend's house watching it on TV. After the game the questions is posed, "are Kobe and Shaq speaking?" I whip out the T650 and we hit him with phone call and text message.
    Answer: No, they are not speaking.
    What about Bluetooth? Specimen 38, any car hands-free issues? How's the FX45 working with it? I'm having problems with the unlocked GSM on my STS.

Z
  16.    #1236  
    My BlueTooth works fine with this device known as SuperTooth. It's no different than a headset. It's just a microphone and a speaker that attaches to a sun visor. It's my opinion that if the device gets more complicated than microphone and speaker--PalmOne has had problems making them work together.
    http://www.expansys-usa.com/i/b/b114426.jpg
    Ford, Honda and Chrysler seem to be the biggest beneficiaries of the patches.
    MobileEase car kit from Peiker Acoustics, used in Ford, Lincoln and Mercury
    HandsFreeLink TM car kit from Johnson Controls Inc. (JCI) used in Honda and Acura cars
    UConnect car kit from Johnson Controls Inc. (JCI) used in Jeep, Chrysler and Dodge cars
    Integrated car kit used in Audi vehicles with Bluetooth technology
    DriveBlue Installation-free Bluetooth car Kit from Parrot
    CK3000 Bluetooth handsfree kit from Parrot
    CK3100 Bluetooth handsfree kit from Parrot
    Anycom HCC-110 headset car kit

I haven't tried anything other than the SuperTooth device above because I am waiting for Raytel's Tellphone 4000 Blue shown below. It is not ready BlueTooth functionality with the Treo 650. It has more advanced voice command features such as dial by number, dial by name, store name, delete name, etc. It's not just a microphone a speaker, so I expect to wait until Raytel and PalmOne can work things out for this aftermarket product.
    http://www.raytel-llc.com/images/photo-tp4000blue.jpg

Your situation is unique because you have an unlocked phone which do not require the patches. It appears that you solution has not been work out yet sense it is not on the list of supported car kits posted by PalmOne.

My advice is to be patient until mid-March. They seem to be putting out a patch each month and I can't imagine Cadillac STS not being a priority for a March update.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaghias
    What about Bluetooth? Specimen 38, a ny car hands-free issues? How's the FX45 working with it? I'm having problems with the unlocked GSM on my STS.

Z
    Last edited by specimen38; 02/22/2005 at 06:47 AM.
  17.    #1237  
    Day 7: w/GSM 650
    Oakland, CA

@ Home

"I got my 128 megs from PalmOne"
    "I got my ExtremePDA cradle"

I plan to use PowerRun with my 128 megs. The ExtremePDA cradle is a temporary solution until I get my Car kit solution settled. As for this thread, it may have served its purpose. I will sign off here and say happy Treo 650-ing.

I will be absent from around these parts and sporadically in the Bluetooth forum. If you need to reach me: specimen38@yahoo.com
    Last edited by specimen38; 02/23/2005 at 07:56 PM.
    [SIZE=2].....My advice is to be patient until mid-March. They seem to be putting out a patch each month and I can't imagine Cadillac STS not being a priority for a March update.
    Once more hope triumphs over experience.
    Just returned from LA where I purchased my Unlocked GSM Treo 650 from the Pa1mOne store at Century City.

I used it for a week with a T-Mobile SIM without any problems. I do find that the earpiece volume is a bit low, but not the speakerphone (which seems to be a frequent complaint on this forum).

Now I need a reliable WiFi option and to put it through the paces to determine if I want to sell my T3...
    Hey, you guys gotta try (free 30 days) splash blog. It is sooooo cool, perfect for the vegas trip and matched with EDGE, one of my new favortite apps. I took about 30 picts with phone, the published without a glitch, I went home and added about 100 from my digtal camera and they automatically sync into the treo. TOO COOL for SCHOOL.

Oh btw I just got my Cingular 650 unlock codes = I Love Cingular